• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people buy echo

DC1

Batman-Chin-Rub.gif

Incredibly great marketing for Amazon here.

Ubername

Banned
I love mine. Can control all lights, heating and tech equipment throughout my house with it.

"Alexa, turn everything off" just before I leave the house every morning is a wonderful thing...

Yea, that does sound nice. I'm too paranoid and I have to feel the off switch for everything though so I could never do that.

Incredibly great marketing for Amazon here.

Lol, I believe I actually meant to say "Alexa" but echo was the first one to come to mind.

On the contrary its a been a game changer in our house hold. I also use carplay in my truck, use Siri to control all sorts of things there. At home, I set timers, play music, get information all without ever having to look for, reach for a phone and type shit like its 2009 or something.

Rourkey

I like my dot, I voice set my alarm each night depended on what time I need to get up, I also use it for telling the time at night without having to open my eyes. I also use the radio, news flash briefing and diary

luxsol

What if you use a lot of lamps and don't have a light switch wired to the right outlets? What if you like to party and want to change the color of your light bulbs? What if you want to program your lights to turn on/off at certain times, or sync with certain events? (ie, you coming home, etc)

That's a lot of what ifs

I'm not sure why lighting is so important that I'd have to spend over a hundred bucks just do something i can do by hand. It's an extra second of work vs.....

My brother has an Echo and I've babysat his kids at his home more than a few times.
It's annoying as fuck, because it constantly turns on while the TV is on and doesn't want to shut the fuck up.
Then there's the fact i have to tell it two or three times just to do something. Not really convenient.

GatorBait

Mine (a Google Home, technically) is in my bathroom. I use it to play music while I'm in the shower and getting ready in the morning, or to listen to the daily news in the morning or while getting ready for bed. I'll also occasionally listen to a podcast while doing other miscellaneous bathroom stuff.

80%+ of my use case was to get a music player that could integrate with my cloud music library that I could use in the bathroom. Being able to change music via voice ended up being a better solution than finding something that fit my needs that could be mounted in the shower.

Synless

I guess the better question to this is what’s the difference between me using Siri vs buying a Dot? Is there more functionality there?

Ubername

Banned
My brother has an Echo and I've babysat his kids at his home more than a few times.
It's annoying as fuck, because it constantly turns on while the TV is on and doesn't want to shut the fuck up.
Then there's the fact i have to tell it two or three times just to do something. Not really convenient.

I know. This is the thing with these products though, voice recognition is so shitty that people are fine with saying whatever the command was 2 or 3 times. That's fine, because what else would you expect? It's not like you should expect a device to work for $100, that's crazy talk. This, compounded by the fact that phone touch interfaces are slow and
clunky means we will be stuck with this crap for years.

I thank you for leading me to the thought I was grasping for but failed to articulate.

tanooki27

I always feel the need to insult these things whenever I'm in proximity. I wish it'd swear back at me. maybe it could have a feature where I tell it some of my most shameful moments and it uses them against me when I'm sick

grang

Neo Member
I pay my maid to do that and she does a fine job at it. The value you get from these things is very little, in my opinion. But apparently that isn't the case for everyone, who knew.

Lmfao. You had no idea that most people didn't have a maid to do little things for them?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I know. This is the thing with these products though, voice recognition is so shitty that people are fine with saying whatever the command was 2 or 3 times. That's fine, because what else would you expect? It's not like you should expect a device to work for $100, that's crazy talk. This, compounded by the fact that phone touch interfaces are slow and
clunky means we will be stuck with this crap for years.

I thank you for leading me to the thought I was grasping for but failed to articulate.

Nothing you guys are complaining about has ever happened with mine. You guys sound old and distanced from technology

luxsol

You guys sound old and distanced from technology

Funny, because my brother had to move the Echo from where it was, the dining area, to the play room because of it reacting to the TV, but since his place has a very open architecture, sound still traveled loud enough to affect the Echo there.

Distance and age has nothing to do with how crumby voice recognition still is.
It's why i never bothered to use Siri and why i hate Bixby.
I've seen my nephews and their friends only use Siri as a gimmick that it is. They almost always input what they want to do manually on their phones instead of ever using Siri and when they do use Siri, it's just to ask for a stupid joke or some other easter egg. Even when they do use it for something they need, they give up when Siri starts fucking up and stare at their phones as if it were ever reliable.

mark1955

Neo Member
Funny, because my brother had to move the Echo from where it was, the dining area, to the play room because of it reacting to the TV, but since his place has a very open architecture, sound still traveled loud enough to affect the Echo there.

I've seen my nephews and their friends only use Siri as a gimmick that it is. They almost always input what they want to do manually on their phones instead of ever using Siri and when they do use Siri, it's just to ask for a stupid joke or some other easter egg. Even when they do use it for something they need, they give up when Siri starts fucking up and stare at their phones as if it were ever reliable.

Google Home is the answer to this problem.

Crazyorloco

I use to be against echo/Alexa and google home.

I now own a google home and a google home mini (in my bathroom) and I love having these devices. I say “hey google, good morning” and I get my daily forecast and news. The sound quality is pretty good for music too. This morning I whispered “okay google, play some jazzy Christmas music” and bam I’m in bed listening to Christmas music. (freaking amazing how it picks up sound even in noisy environments)

I also purchase Phillips hue lights so my place feels like a new home with the different color lighting I can set with my voice.

These devices aren’t needed, but they really making living at home a nicer experience. I feel like I have a new high tech apartment.

Someone told me to download the IFTTT app to be able to do a lot more...I haven’t looked at it yet.

Ubername

Banned
Nothing you guys are complaining about has ever happened with mine. You guys sound old and distanced from technology

Well good for you then, man. But the tech I own malfunctions all the time, and is slow and crappy and cumbersome and obtrusive. I still like the things - don't get me wrong. But they have giant flaws that need work.

slit

Well good for you then, man. But the tech I own malfunctions all the time, and is slow and crappy and cumbersome and obtrusive. I still like the things - don't get me wrong. But they have giant flaws that need work.

You still like them even though they are useless paperweights and are slow, crappy and cumbersome? Okay that's just odd.

luxsol

You still like them even though they are useless paperweights and are slow, crappy and cumbersome? Okay that's just odd.

To be fair, when it doesn't work like it's supposed to, it does make the product seem like a useless paperweight.
Feels bad when my phone has a button decidicated toward that voice app and its fucking annoying to accidently press it, since the app starts up and requires me to input data i gave up on with the last phone i had. So yeah, i can also say it's slow and cumbersome too, especially since what i paid for covers the cost for a worthless (to me) feature. Why the button is so fucking prominent makes me wish for an iPhone.

So when the entire appliance is just that? I have to wonder why people like it.
I've been checking out voice command programs for decades now, because my original Performa had limited voice command features and I always thought that would be cool if they ever got it to work right.
3 decades later there's more these voice programs can do (which to me doesn't seem worthwhile), but their actual recognition of our voices is as limited as ever.

... which isn't to say that their tech has remained the same, just that they still require to be told more than once what to do. They can understand more words and pretend to know complete sentences, but the requirement for your diction, angle, distance, volume, wind resistance, is as finicky as ever.

MultiCore

I have 6 in my house. They work great.

But they're most useful as a voice recognition platform to command other things. They're of limited worth on their own, unless you just love ordering the deal of the day from Amazon, or playing Jeopardy.

Get a smart things hub, z wave switches, a smart thermostat, smart lighting, smart sprinkler controller, garage door opener, ect and report back on their utility.

"Alexa, lights off."
"Alexa, set hallway 20%."

The utility is very high.

Fnord

Light switches are superior than having every lamp on the on position in order to make that happen.

Except that you can turn on lights in a dark house before even entering the room. With nothing but your voice. It's super convenient.

The Echo (and Google Home) also makes a significantly better speaker than a phone. So, lying in bed I can say, "Alexa, turn off my light (again - without getting up to hit a switch and then getting back to the bed in a dark bedroom) and Alexa, play rain sounds or Alexa, play <insert music here>." Again, it's about convenience mostly.

Ubername

Banned

Nice shitpost, dude.

Get a smart things hub, z wave switches, a smart thermostat, smart lighting, smart sprinkler controller, garage door opener, ect and report back on their utility.

The utility is very high.

I mean I would never get smart "X" because I think they're such bad solutions to relatively simple problems, but if I did, then yea I'm sure echo would be fine and I would see why it's great. But I can extend this thread to those other smart items, as in: what is the gain you get from having a smart thermostat? I don't think you get jack for functionality, because I think my honeywell or westinghouse does a satisfactory job as it is.

Fnord

I use to be against echo/Alexa and google home.

I now own a google home and a google home mini (in my bathroom) and I love having these devices. I say “hey google, good morning” and I get my daily forecast and news. The sound quality is pretty good for music too. This morning I whispered “okay google, play some jazzy Christmas music” and bam I’m in bed listening to Christmas music. (freaking amazing how it picks up sound even in noisy environments)

I also purchase Phillips hue lights so my place feels like a new home with the different color lighting I can set with my voice.

These devices aren’t needed, but they really making living at home a nicer experience. I feel like I have a new high tech apartment.

Someone told me to download the IFTTT app to be able to do a lot more...I haven’t looked at it yet.

I like the Google Home more for some things (it's superior at picking up voice commands amid noise (sometimes the Echo has issues picking up commands because it can't hear over itself)), but the Echo for other things. Like I can set an appointment on the Echo but you still can't do that on the Home. For a company that has such a rich featureset and ecosystem, they are woefully behind on integrating that ecosystem with their smart speaker.

Fnord

I used to have a TON of issues with the Echo picking up commands from something on TV. Now it seems significantly smarter about it. It still goes off more frequently than the Google Home (the Home still hears things and starts to react, but it's better able to filter out actual commands - I believe because it has true voice recognition now - and stops without going further than blinking its lights a bit), but it's better now than it was.

MultiCore

Nice shitpost, dude.

I mean I would never get smart "X" because I think they're such bad solutions to relatively simple problems, but if I did, then yea I'm sure echo would be fine and I would see why it's great. But I can extend this thread to those other smart items, as in: what is the gain you get from having a smart thermostat? I don't think you get jack for functionality, because I think my honeywell or westinghouse does a satisfactory job as it is.

Geofencing for everything, departure or arrival.
A schedule to turn on lights in the morning to wake the kids for school. All the lights turn off when everyone leaves the house. The security system automatically arms. A dinner time mode for lighting. A TV time mode.

The thermostat has an away mode to save energy automatically, and based on occupancy, and even room occupancy.

I can command my sous vide cooker, and even from a remote location.

It's great. It's extremely useful. If you can't see a use for it, it's probably not for you.

Not to mention being able to call or drop in via Alexa. Super great.

Ubername

Banned
Geofencing for everything, departure or arrival.
A schedule to turn on lights in the morning to wake the kids for school. All the lights turn off when everyone leaves the house. The security system automatically arms. A dinner time mode for lighting. A TV time mode.

The thermostat has an away mode to save energy automatically, and based on occupancy, and even room occupancy.

I can command my sous vide cooker, and even from a remote location.

It's great. It's extremely useful. If you can't see a use for it, it's probably not for you.

Not to mention being able to call or drop in via Alexa. Super great.

Yes, I know it's not for me. I'm trying to entertain why others like it. I wish people wouldn't get so offended when I say inflammatory things about this stuff, it's for discussion purely, so we can stop rehashing the fact that it isn't for me and other people have different wants and needs than I.

So can you cook remotely? Wtf? That's pretty effin crazy, man. I know I sound like an old man but that's some next level shit.

And I know all about Nest(R)'s energy saving features and I think they're dumb because I get the app, and they tell me how much money I saved, like how do you know, you don't have my old bill. I'm a nest hater though so take that with the reign of Saul.

MultiCore

Yes, I know it's not for me. I'm trying to entertain why others like it. I wish people wouldn't get so offended when I say inflammatory things about this stuff, it's for discussion purely, so we can stop rehashing the fact that it isn't for me and other people have different wants and needs than I.

So can you cook remotely? Wtf? That's pretty effin crazy, man. I know I sound like an old man but that's some next level shit.

And I know all about Nest(R)'s energy saving features and I think they're dumb because I get the app, and they tell me how much money I saved, like how do you know, you don't have my old bill. I'm a nest hater though so take that with the reign of Saul.

I'm not offended, but it seems like every good use case someone has brought up, you seem to just blow it off and say "Well sure you could use it for that, but I'd never do that, so what good is it?"

I'm not a Nest user. Much more impressed with Ecobee thermostats. They use your location data to to gather info about what your energy costs are. I think I can even plug in my kwh rate.

So many good reasons to use smart thermostats. I even get reminded to change my filters.

Ubername

Banned
I'm not offended, but it seems like every good use case someone has brought up, you seem to just blow it off and say "Well sure you could use it for that, but I'd never do that, so what good is it?"

I'm not a Nest user. Much more impressed with Ecobee thermostats. They use your location data to to gather info about what your energy costs are. I think I can even plug in my kwh rate.

Lol yea I see what you're saying and I can't deny it but nonetheless I feel that way. Sometimes there are cool uses like being able to roast your turkey remotely but something like collecting my location data, even as innocuous as that may seem for my thermostat to be doing, is so not a value-add. My version would be the nest thermostat that functions exactly like the one on my wall but from a phone or pc application and nothing else.

Wiped89

I don't get it either. It does nothing a Google search on your phone can't do (with voice if you're really fussed about that).

Literally absolutely pointless. Unless your fetish is an Amazon robot listening to your every word and trying to make you order more from the tax dodging supercorporation.

Ubername

Banned
If it's a shitpost because I call out you contradicting yourself then so be it, I've shitposted you but don't worry I'm sure you'll get over it. Ask your maid to explain it to you.

No, it was a shitpost bc you think you can't change your opinion in the course of a discussion, and you're just being annoying

Why do you think people pose discussions? To defend a single monolithic view of something?
Yes, in fact. I made this thread to point out how stupid people were who bought echo. Obviously. What else could have been my intent?

I'm not trying to argue with you but you seem to be content doing just that.

-Minsc-

There's no doubt the Tickle Me Elmo factor. Looking into what the Echo is, I can see how people would make use of it. Personally, I'm not sold on the concept.

Not everything is made for you, OP.

This is one of the things that baffles me from online discussions. The lack of ability to see that others have different wants and needs from you.

A general response to the theme of this post. On the flip side, not everyone thinks the Echo is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Hence, saying a product is worthless is just as valid as saying a product is a must have.

MultiCore

There's no doubt the Tickle Me Elmo factor. Looking into what the Echo is, I can see how people would make use of it. Personally, I'm not sold on the concept.

A general response to the theme of this post. On the flip side, not everyone thinks the Echo is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Hence, saying a product is worthless is just as valid as saying a product is a must have.
I think it's pretty easy to demonstrate that the Echo is objectively not worthless.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It doesn’t have enough skills and isn’t fast enough to be useful, yet. Certainly in my experience.

I’ve got a friend who insists on adopting new tech and gadgets, despite often being a massive inconvenience. Him insisting on using an Echo is a perfect example.

“Just use the fucking remote - your TV would have been off by now.”

Darkwater

I don't understand what value these could possibly have to anyone. It's probably the most frivolous purchase you can make and I think people know it, they know it doesn't do shit and that it's a pretty little paperweight that costs a hundred dollars. Why would anyone want to buy this? Apple won, even from the grave Jobs strikes at thee, when a tech product that does literally nothing of value can be profitable.

(Possibly perceived:) Novelty, convenience, marketing, status, there may be more reasons.

You people care too much.
Sounds like most of you probably cant afford one and get upset. People have various amount of disposable income, so what if they bought this, it doesnt harm your life.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
You people care too much.
Sounds like most of you probably cant afford one and get upset. People have various amount of disposable income, so what if they bought this, it doesnt harm your life.

Sounds more like something you want to be true, tbh.

popeutlal

This.
I'm surprised people are so comfortable living with such a device. But then on the hand, Facebook continues to be popular - so perhaps it's not so surprising.
You carry around a GPS, a microphone and a camera device in your pocket everywhere you go...and you think an Echo is bad idea?

MultiCore

Hence "just as valid as saying a product is a must have".
Saying that you don't want one isn't the same as claiming it's worthless.

I don't think the claim that an Echo is worthless is valid. It objectivity has *some* worth. It will stream music, just as a bare minimum of functionality, so any claim that the device has no use just doesn't pass muster.

20cent

Banned
My hands are always greasy making sandwiches so I have 1 of them in each of my rooms to turn on the lights. Truly a life saver IMO.

I have parties where I need to change my lights colors on daily basis, in each of my 18 rooms home, there is absolutely no other way to do that without an echo.

People use their hands to turn on/off lights....SMH

Brb I have to refinance my 2 years loan for smart-equipping my home and sprinklers.

Hissing Sid

Used ours obsessively for the first month. Forgot the thing was even there afterwards.

Even the kids have gotten tired of seeing what responses they get to daft questions.

Now it just kinda sits there, a silent black cylinder.... listening.

Every now and again the blue cyclops eye will come to life when the Alexa advert is on the telly.

And that’s kinda that, should probably turn the thing off to save electricity.

MultiCore

Used ours obsessively for the first month. Forgot the thing was even there afterwards.

Even the kids have gotten tired of seeing what responses they get to daft questions.

Now it just kinda sits there, a silent black cylinder.... listening.

Every now and again the blue cyclops eye will come to life when the Alexa advert is on the telly.

And that's kinda that, should probably turn the thing off to save electricity.

Yeah, I imagine this is common for people not using it as a voice platform for smart devices.

Secondarily, it's a reasonable music streamer, and they added groups recently, so you can stream music to your whole home. Pretty neat, if you're interested in Sonos-like functionality.

As a side note: a lot of people bought into the Echo platform because Amazon got there first. I'd probably be using Google Home instead, but Echo/Alexa was just compatible with more stuff. Google is catching up, but they're not at parity yet, and people have written some great skills for the Alexa platform. I'll be happy to switch when the time comes though.

You carry around a GPS, a microphone and a camera device in your pocket everywhere you go...and you think an Echo is bad idea?

You're either more correct than you could possibly imagine, or you work for an interesting department.

Top Bottom