• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people buy echo

While making dinner tonight, our family listened to music played throughout our home from our Google minis we have spread around the house. They are dirt cheap, and Best Buy is giving a $10 gift card for each you buy. We were making a recipe I found online and google home was helping us keep track of the process. I could change music while I had a hand full of raw hamburger. I noticed we were out of ketchup, so I added it to our shopping list via voice. It's been a long weekend; I haven't looked at my calendar for days, so I asked it what was on my schedule for tomorrow.

Just as the meal was to go in the oven, I said "hey google, let's play a game". My wife, my daughter and I played a trivia game while we set the table. The game spurred a fun argument and I asked our mini to name the top grossing film of 2016. I was wrong and lost the argument, but it led to another topic, and google/Wikipedia was incorporated into the conversation. When it was done, I broadcast "Dinner's ready" to the rest of the house through the the minis.

It could have been a commercial for these things. None of us looked at our phones once. It actually enhanced our interactions instead of hindering them.

Yes, they are unnecessary; they are a toy, they are a gimmick, a first-world convenience of the most ridiculous kind. But so what. It's ok that they can be fun, a novelty, sometimes useless and sometimes efficient all at the same time.

Tonight, it was part of fun few hours with my family.

“first world convenience”
“people with high disposal income”

it’s 30 fucking dollars for one. most of you spent 10 times that on a toy under your tv to play video games. perspective is lost when you start devaluing a product that doesn’t hit whatever niche you’re into.

echos are great

BadHand

”first world convenience"
”people with high disposal income"

it's 30 fucking dollars for one. most of you spent 10 times that on a toy under your tv to play video games. perspective is lost when you start devaluing a product that doesn't hit whatever niche you're into.

echos are great

OP says they're a frivolous first world convenience, which is why he has a maid to turn his lights on/off instead.

oktarb

Without getting into a comparison on the different devices I will say that my Echo topped by Best Personal Purchases of 2016 list. Upgrading to a king size best topped 2017.

I love the pure vocal based integration to my life:

Sets alarms to wake up.
"Alexa Update" morning news while I shower.
Set Spaghetti Timer 15 minutes. Title based timers!
Music, nuff said.
My six year old daughter told it "Alexa I have a hamster!" Alexa proceeded to tell her hamster facts.
Jokes.
Choose you own adventure "Alexa open a magic portal"
Adding things to my shopping list and pull said list up on my phone when at the store.

It succeeds more than it fails.

Top Bottom