• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AlphaGo round 2

Fugu

It has been interesting to watch the rapid increase in strength of Go AIs, to say the least. I wonder what AlphaGo's rank is considering how good its record is against 9p players.

nubbe

I have been hoping there would be a new championship match.
Will definetly see the remaining matches live

nubbe

Man, people complained about the amateur the last time... But this girl is practically none existent, provides no insight or discussion... And she's a pro?

The second pair is much better, what you'd expect from players commenting a game.

iamblades

Man, people complained about the amateur the last time... But this girl is practically none existent, provides no insight or discussion... And she's a pro?

The second pair is much better, what you'd expect from players commenting a game.

Lee Ha-Jin is a boss. Love her youtube channel.

Blizzard

Banned
I used to find this interesting, and as an engineer I can appreciate the technical complexity, but I don't feel the events are very compelling anymore.

Even last time it wasn't remotely close, and at this point it really feels like Go is a solved game in terms of human ability, and putting human players through this seems akin to some sort of psychological humiliation.

I used to find this interesting, and as an engineer I can appreciate the technical complexity, but I don't feel the events are very compelling anymore.

Even last time it wasn't remotely close, and at this point it really feels like Go is a solved game in terms of human ability, and putting human players through this seems akin to some sort of psychological humiliation.
AlphaGo is SKT if it was 5 Fakers

post-S

On the Chinese stream Gu Li (he's like always the runner up when Lee Sedol was ruling the game) was already celebrating for Ke Jie, until Ke Jie made a mistake in the bottom left and everything fall apart after that.

nubbe

AI doesn't get emotional while Ke Jie said he was stressed and got over excited mid game since he though he had a chance.
It's game over

It would be cool if they could roll the game back to where ke jie made a mistkae and let him play it again. Basically, save scum alpha go and see if you could beat it.

aaaaa0

Match 3: the human got massacred again.

I don't think it's possible any more for a unassisted human to beat AlphaGo going forward.

Hopeford

Best part about the Team vs AlphaGO match was this: (Stolen from reddit)

wRN0orr.jpg

After AlphaGO did its thing where it knows it's gonna win with 100% certainty anyway so it stops giving a fuck about gaining/keeping points. I know that it's silly to anthropomorphize AlphaGO into a person, but it just seems hilarious to me.

Blizzard

Banned
The human players sometimes seem like they're attempting to confuse the AI or "gamble".

The program is incredibly calculating. I don't really understand why gambling or confusion would work. It's not like it attempts to understand human reasoning, it just seeks optimal winning odds.

Eferim

The human players sometimes seem like they're attempting to confuse the AI or "gamble".

The program is incredibly calculating. I don't really understand why gambling or confusion would work. It's not like it attempts to understand human reasoning, it just seeks optimal winning odds.

Ke Jie beat Fine Art something like four times in a row by exploiting a flaw in its reasoning. Tencent fixed that issue but there's precedent that AI can be beaten by strange moves (not to mention the game Lee Sedol won against AG by confusing it).

It's become pretty clear that there's no beating AG in its current state. There's really no flaw in its calculations that we can exploit.

iamblades

The program can't calculate everything though, just as we know it is clearly superior to human players. It's pretty basic game theory to attempt to add randomness to increase the variance of the potential outcomes when you know your opponent is superior.

Best chance of winning vs AlphaGo seems to be to make the entire game into one life or death fight and hope that the computer makes some fatal error early on in the the fight when the outcome is still impossible to read out. Since the computer has more 'read depth' than the human, the human has more chances to make such a mistake, but it is not impossible that the human can luck out a win in such a game. It's how Lee Sedol took a game off alpha go, creating a super complicated fight that would decide the whole game, and AlphaGo made an error early in the sequence that it didn't recognize until it was too late. If AlphaGo has improved it's depth of reading, or its ability to prevent such all or nothing fights, such a strategy will be come less and less likely to work.

aaaaa0

Best chance of winning vs AlphaGo seems to be to make the entire game into one life or death fight and hope that the computer makes some fatal error early on in the the fight when the outcome is still impossible to read out. Since the computer has more 'read depth' than the human, the human has more chances to make such a mistake, but it is not impossible that the human can luck out a win in such a game.

Seems like a bad gamble.

They posted the first 10 (of 50 they're planning to release) samples of full strength self-play games that AlphaGo did during training, and they're nuts. Some of the pros are saying the moves almost look alien, incomprehensible.

https://deepmind.com/research/alphago/alphago-vs-alphago-self-play-games/

iamblades

Seems like a bad gamble.

They posted the first 10 (of 50 they're planning to release) samples of full strength self-play games that AlphaGo did during training, and they're nuts. Some of the pros are saying the moves almost look alien, incomprehensible.

https://deepmind.com/research/alphago/alphago-vs-alphago-self-play-games/

No shit, but playing the kind of spread out game of incremental small gains that alphago prefers is a guaranteed loss.

High variance chaotic games where you have a 1 in 10 chance of winning is better than no chance of winning. Depending on how far the program has advanced since the lee sedol matches, the chances may not even be that high anymore, but it's still the best chance a human has.

Top Bottom