• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

kaiju

Something seems to be going on if the police are still reporting it as a "serious" incident. While it's easy to think the worst, there have been little to no reports of injuries, which is encouraging.

Agreed, no concrete evidence of any injuries so far is a good sign.

Those gunshot sounds in the video is starting to look more like balloons popping, at least I hope.

PizzaFace

Banned
The police have to treat it as a "serious incident" if there's even 1% chance it was a bomb/terror attack. They would have to deploy anti terrorism measures etc.

Well, a crush caused by panic following a loudspeaker blowing would also be classed as a "serious incident" I think

Hale-XF11

I've been to one arena concert in my lifetime where a speaker blew and it sounded like a massive bomb going off. This was before 9/11 and most people responded by just looking around before realizing what it was. Unfortunately, I could see how that would cause mass panic nowadays.

Xando

There's no way the sound I heard was gunshots, too loud, sounded like a bomb
Weird. Usually this is all over social media 5 minutes after it's happened.

Seems weird there would be so many ambulances and they would shut down the train station for a exploding speaker.

Acorn

Something seems to be going on if the police are still reporting it as a "serious" incident. While it's easy to think the worst, there have been little to no reports of injuries, which is encouraging.
The police don't speculate. Whether something nefarious has happened or not they won't use anything other than vague terms until they know with atleast a decent degree of certainty what the 'incident' is.

PizzaFace

Banned
I've been to one arena concert in my lifetime where a speaker blew and it sounded like a massive bomb going off. This was before 9/11 and most people responded by just looking around before realizing what it was. Unfortunately, I could see how that would cause mass panic nowadays.

Especially due to the large number of young fans and parents with young kids there.

Allforce

No smoke or fire could be seen either in that video which is a good thing.

Really wondering if this is just a mass panic situation over something malfunctioning. Hopefully we only have superficial injuries at the worst, it looked like a huge arena with ample exits.

akileese

That doesn't sound good. Hopefully nobody was injured.

No clue what it is though. The police won't say and absolutely nothing has come out at all. it's worth noting that if people think it's a bomb, even if it's a blown speaker, they're going to shut down tubes and deploy anti-terror measures.

It was probably like a car back fire sample that got piped through the speaker and blew it up and everybody shat themselves creating a mass panic (i hope!).

If it was an armed dude going nuts we would of heard about it sooner than an hour, think about the last times a terrorist incident happened it came out really fast.

Seems weird there would be so many ambulances and they would shut down the train station for a exploding speaker.

If there were masses of people trampling each other to run away or there was a crush then the ambulances are necessary. The station situation is also likely part of a protocol. Either way, the point of the initial response is to do too much and it end up being too much than doing too little when more is needed.

iMax

Certainly in the UK, phone signal is awful when capacity is overloaded (e.g. at big events/venues)—and especially when something like this happens.

Boem

If it's not immediately known what caused the sound/panic, the authorities aren't going to wait it out. Better to be safe than sorry - they have to be ready in case it turns out to be something really bad, but I still think/hope the worst part is the panic itself, and that the sound itself is something relatively harmless. I think we'd know more if it was something more.

Manchester police confirming fatalities.

Fuck, maybe I was wrong.

Oh fuck. My partner and daughter are there and can't get hold of them

Edit: managed to contact them on phone. They are safe but daughter (9) is understandably upset. Should be home in an hour. Thoughts go out to those that weren't so lucky.

It was probably like a car back fire sample that got piped through the speaker and blew it up and everybody shat themselves.

If it was an armed dude going nuts we would of heard about it sooner than an hour, think about the last times a terrorist incident happened it came out really fast.

That's because they were running around the streets with AK's or running people down in trucks and cars. An explosion of any kind in such a crowded place is going to be confusing initially.

Oh fuck. My partner and daughter are there and can't get hold of them

Shit man...

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
CBS was covering it. There's some video of the audience running out of the arena.

Moskalova

DAdyGWnXkAAvsWL.jpg:large

Top Bottom