• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Web Framework (HTML5, Javascript, CSS dev support) announced for the Wii U

GulAtiCa

Woah, finally got a response email. Basically telling me to expect a phone call or email in next few weeks. Excitement. :)

GulAtiCa

Congrats man. I hope to see something special from you. :)
Thanks! Hopefully I'm approved and eventually get a dev kit or so. haha. I actually have a few game prototypes in mind. 1 in HTML5 simple tower defense game and 2 others in Unity (one's a platformer and other is a 2D top-down zombie shooter arcade like game - think COD Zombies/RE:R Raid Mode).

You can see what i've been working on here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74441395&postcount=6012

GulAtiCa

Finally got a phone call from Nintendo. My cell's caller ID actually said "Reggie Fils-Aime" and for a split second thought Mr. Kickass himself was calling. Wasn't though :lol

Anyways, looks like I'm one step closer to becoming a Nintendo developer. Suppose to keep my eye on my email for an important email to continue.

AzaK

Got my initial email yesterday. It was a very sparse email and came from a 'WW' email address which initial had me wondering if it was legit.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Finally got a phone call from Nintendo. My cell's caller ID actually said "Reggie Fils-Aime" and for a split second thought Mr. Kickass himself was calling. Wasn't though :lol

Anyways, looks like I'm one step closer to becoming a Nintendo developer. Suppose to keep my eye on my email for an important email to continue.

awesome!

GulAtiCa

Got my initial one. Anyone had the phonecall? What do they go through?

Mainly a simple greeting. Asks for some simple info like your home address, etc. Mainly to get some background info. They mention how they have 2 kind of Wii U eShop dev kits. One for intromedia or novice devs that I believe is just HTML5 web kit and another for higher up Unity and C++/etc coding for more experienced people or people that want to get their toes wet some more. No mention of price or anything (not that I would be allowed to even mention it anyways :lol).

Lastly mentioned I will be getting an email with login to their website at the dev world where I will be able to sign a NDA and then allow me to look and order a dev kit or so.

Call was only 5 minutes or so, very simple.

JayFalcon

Banned
Thanks! Hopefully I'm approved and eventually get a dev kit or so. haha. I actually have a few game prototypes in mind. 1 in HTML5 simple tower defense game and 2 others in Unity (one's a platformer and other is a 2D top-down zombie shooter arcade like game - think COD Zombies/RE:R Raid Mode).

You can see what i've been working on here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74441395&postcount=6012

The 2D top down shooter for Black Ops called Dead Ops Arcade is one of my young nephews faves.The Space Gorrilla is very much a lot of the fun for the younger players. That plus the fact you can become a helicopter or a tank.

Lazaro

So wait... That "WW" email in my inbox, is an actual email from Nintendo of America regarding the indie GDC application?

Although I did mention in the application form I currently cant code in advanced languages like C# and C++, I do have at least little knowledge of how HTML5, CSS and JavaScript plus other web technologies but very little. I do have a couple of ideas for games and applications.

Does this mean I was half-approved for obtaining a Wii U developer license?

Dambrosi

Banned
So wait... That "WW" email in my inbox, is an actual email from Nintendo of America regarding the indie GDC application?

Although I did mention in the application form I currently cant code in advanced languages like C# and C++, I do have at least little knowledge of how HTML5, CSS and JavaScript plus other web technologies but very little. I do have a couple of ideas for games and applications.

Does this mean I was half-approved for obtaining a Wii U developer license?
Hell, I got one too, and I know NOTHING about programming. I just applied for the lulz.

I feel like I should apologize for wasting their time, or something. though, I do know a guy who could use it...hmm.

Lazaro

Hell, I got one too, and I know NOTHING about programming. I just applied for the lulz.

I feel like I should apologize for wasting their time, or something. though, I do know a guy who could use it...hmm.

I would honestly like to develop for them but it depends on the costs associated for developing on Wii U (I'm quite low funds for something like this :p) and plus I'm an individual not a company but I've mentioned in that in the form. I too, mentioned I'm "New to Development" and said my experience has been on Microsoft platforms. But apparently it seems You and even I could still be approved :p

Apparently Nintendo will give free Wii U devkits and/or licenses to approved devs? Does anyone know? Do you need to show your work and projects?

Question..
I'm a sw developer (among the other things), though my core abilitiies revolve around backend, lowlatency transaction, etc..
Think i can apply for this program? Or it's only for dedicated frontend developer? Garanted i do meddle with js and html5, it's just that it's not my main field of it expertise..
I am in the process of porting a java game i made to html5/js combo to get the hang with it, so i don't know if this program is open to novices as well...
Gaf?

Pretty sure the WW in the email name stands for Wario World, so maybe they use a general/centralized email address for contacting developers.

I got my email about two weeks ago and I got my call a couple days ago. Kind of nervous since I've done a couple of game jams but I haven't really done anything on my own :( I'm starting to lurk in the Indie Game Dev thread a lot more now!

Jackano

Pretty sure the WW in the email name stands for Wario World, so maybe they use a general/centralized email address for contacting developers.

I got my email about two weeks ago and I got my call a couple days ago. Kind of nervous since I've done a couple of game jams but I haven't really done anything on my own :( I'm starting to lurk in the Indie Game Dev thread a lot more now!

What was the call about?
Edit : NVM I've read back to Gualactica post :/

JulianImp

I submitted my personal information and got an automated response for now.

However, I think I made a mistake when I filled in my phone number, but I can't contact them through their "noreply" account. Should I wait until I get a less automated response and reply there to make sure they get the right number, or is there any other way I can contact them to let them know about it?

Honestly, I never even knew Argentina added 9 to the country code for international calls to cellphones (so I should've written +549 rather than just +54)... I really hope I can get this fixed in time.

Jackano

I submitted my personal information and got an automated response for now.

However, I think I made a mistake when I filled in my phone number, but I can't contact them through their "noreply" account. Should I wait until I get a less automated response and reply there to make sure they get the right number, or is there any other way I can contact them to let them know about it?

Honestly, I never even knew Argentina added 9 to the country code for international calls to cellphones (so I should've written +549 rather than just +54)... I really hope I can get this fixed in time.
Are you talking about the very first form, or the email after that? Because they ask you again for your phone number in an email after applying to the form.

JulianImp

Are you talking about the very first form, or the email after that? Because they ask you again for your phone number in an email after applying to the form.

I was talking about the very first one, so I guess I'm safe, then. Thanks for clearing that up!

Scoot2005

Banned
Good luck! Can't wait to see some new stuff. Hope you can make MetroidStarfoxWaveRaceFZero.

Edit - Forgot to congratulate you so... Congratulations!!

I got the same email in regards to a phone call but I didn't bother writing back. Nintendo is in deep water right now and it'd be wise of them to release this to the public and let people play around with it. Just my two cents.

JulianImp

I am now an official Wii U developer. Will be ordering my first dev kit soon. :)

That's amazing, congratulations!

I'm still anxiously waiting for their follow-up e-mail, but I guess I should calm down, since it's quite likely they're still geting hammered with requests. Hopefully, they'll take me into consideration in spite of living on the other side of the continent.

Jackano

My GDC emails/appliance have been redirected to Nintendo of Europe. So they have guys working with indies here too, that's pretty cool news.

It also seems minimal age is now 13, just in case you are the new angry bird guy.

My GDC emails/appliance have been redirected to Nintendo of Europe. So they have guys working with indies here too, that's pretty cool news.

It also seems minimal age is now 13, just in case you are the new angry bird guy.

dev kits for kids??? now that I never expected, don't you have to set yourself up as a company? didn't think under 16s could do that?

GulAtiCa

dev kits for kids??? now that I never expected, don't you have to set yourself up as a company? didn't think under 16s could do that?

Maybe they have their parent do it for them? I could easily see it being the parent/etc handling the business side of things while the child does the actual game programming.

Top Bottom