• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Web Framework (HTML5, Javascript, CSS dev support) announced for the Wii U

wsippel

Banned
isn't tesselation DX11? We know already that the WiiU does tesselation from a shinen interview
Tessellation wasn't part of the DX standard feature set before, but AMD GPUs supported it for years as a custom extension. Though the implementation AMD used is not DX11 compliant. The R700 tessellator is also a bit of a mystery in itself, as early AMD statements claimed it was quite different from the one used in previous GPUs, but I could never find any further details or specific information. Probably because it was quickly rendered obsolete by DX11, so AMD had no reason to explain it in-depth. If the DX11 implementation was better, they'd have nothing to brag about, and if it was worse, they'd basically blame Microsoft for going with an inferior implementation and piss off customers.

tkscz

I guess that proves that the AMD chip used on WiiU is a DX 10.1 equivalent chip.

Wow... I find that kinda funny

Not really. It says that the WiiU has DX10 support, though one could argue why not say DX11.

Something to remember is that Nintendo won't run DX of any sort and is more than likely using OpenGL 3.9, which supports parts of OpenGL 4.0 language.

Edit: Crap I double posted, sorry

wsippel

Banned
It's a scripting language.
That differentiation becomes more and more meaningless every day. The main difference between scripting languages and "real" programming languages used to be that one ran through an interpreter while the other was compiled, but these days, even scripting languages are often compiled. At the same time, a lot of the features typically found in scripting languages, like automatic garbage collection, made their way into modern "real" programming languages.

Unity isn't a programming language?

If you are going to be a C# snob just say so, but don't trash on new and upcoming programming languages because you don't know them.
Unity is no programming language. It's an engine. It supports several different programming languages, including C# and JavaScript.

PetrCobra

Unity isn't a programming language?

If you are going to be a C# snob just say so, but don't trash on new and upcoming programming languages because you don't know them.

Unity is an engine (not a language) that's using several languages for scripting (you can choose which one you prefer). For your information, one of those languages is C#.

Edit: hi wsippel, you quick bastard

Bit-Bit

I applied although I surely wouldn't be able to afford a Dev Kit.

But I plan to go to Kickstarter once I get the game mostly done. Time to buckle down and finish this thing.

I've always dreamed of having something I made on a Nintendo console. The younger me would have gone batshit for this.

Except XNA used a real programming language.

I think it depends what you thought XNA was for. As a way to learn video game programming techniques without getting bogged down in technical minutiae, it was superb. As a worthwhile outlet to actually make games for, it was somewhat less successful: when even AAA developers tend to licence a game engine, expecting amateurs to code everything from scratch was somewhat optimistic.

But Nintendo has absolutely no ambitions of teaching the next generation of programmers how to code, they just want games - any games - for their hardware. If if that's what they want, then they need to be as inclusive as possible and keep things as simple as possible. Although I do wonder if they truly know what they're letting themselves in for by reducing the barriers of entry so much. Is this an attempt to directly take on Android and iOS?

Jackano

Although I do wonder if they truly know what they're letting themselves in for by reducing the barriers of entry so much. Is this an attempt to directly take on Android and iOS?

To me it clearly is. One of the slide says freemiums or something. I think it's the first time ever I heard Nintendo in some form speaking about free games.

The only con I have, and that's available for no more concept approval too, is the risk to see garbage flood just like on iOS.
But I guess the need for the SDK will be a real efficient barrier here. Can't wait to order this thing lol.

Javier

But I plan to go to Kickstarter once I get the game mostly done. Time to buckle down and finish this thing.

I've always dreamed of having something I made on a Nintendo console. The younger me would have gone batshit for this.
Sweet! Good luck with that!

To me it clearly is. One of the slide says freemiums or something. I think it's the first time ever I heard Nintendo in some form speaking about free games.

The only con I have, and that's available for no more concept approval too, is the risk to see garbage flood just like on iOS.
But I guess the need for the SDK will be a real efficient barrier here. Can't wait to order this thing lol.

Requiring a hefty payment up-front for a dev kit might keep out the chancers, but honestly, they're not the problem on Android and iOS - they release shitty games without any fanfare or promotion, spend ten minutes being visible in the 'newly added' section, then disappear without a trace. No, the problem is the 'real' companies who have an art budget and marketing team and churn out title after derivative title that hang around in the charts for weeks.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Bloody hell this is good news. They really should have had this when the system launched, but still I'm glad to hear it and hope it renews interest and work for the system.

Very cool. I'll buy (or give money through kickstarter for) any game made by a gaffer for the Wii U.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nintendo, read my lips: W-e-b-G-L

... slightly related article... https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/...he-power-of-the-web-as-a-platform-for-gaming/ ;).

Still, exciting news from Nintendo. This could help some developers quite a bit (it sounds a bit similar to what Apple offers to iBooks developers too, JS+HTML wise).

What does not help people porting their applications is that you have to work around the lack of gestures (based on more than one touch point) and multi-touch support in general.

CraigMcD

That differentiation becomes more and more meaningless every day. The main difference between scripting languages and "real" programming languages used to be that one ran through an interpreter while the other was compiled, but these days, even scripting languages are often compiled. At the same time, a lot of the features typically found in scripting languages, like automatic garbage collection, made their way into modern "real" programming languages.
I'm not dissing JavaScript, just explaining what he/she meant. :p

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This should have been done a year before the console launched, get famous app developers, market angry birds/cut the rope/whatever -> profit.

Some of that is insane, I had no idea such high quality stuff was possible -- I mean I did know there was some cool Browser stuff -- battlestar galactica online etc. taught me that... but...

http://mrdoob.github.com/three.js/examples/webgl_materials_bumpmap_skin.html
http://mrdoob.github.com/three.js/examples/webgl_materials_normalmap2.html
http://mrdoob.github.com/three.js/examples/webgldeferred_pointlights.html

Love the Tilt Shift DOF on this one -
http://mrdoob.github.com/three.js/examples/webgl_terrain_dynamic.html

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Except XNA used a real programming language.
Holy shit, one of the most fucking ignorant statements I've ever read in this forum. I'd fire you if you worked with me.
Wtf do you mean by "real programming language"? Read some books before throwing such outlandish remarks.

Somnid

I'm very happy to hear this. I think they need to take it a bit further and allow these tools to go out to anyone. The nice part is that the web platform is designed to be secure and because of interoperability people should be able to use them without needing dev kits.

It does make me interested in signing up. Obviously I'm not going to go for a dev kit unless I feel my own project is far enough along but I've built several game engines and dev tools using web technologies so this is definitely up my alley.

What does that even mean?
So JS and HTML5 aren't real programming languages? Because I was taught that all programming languages were real.
Oh boy ... Here we go . C# is as much of scripting language than anything else. It's a copy of java actually. He'll c++ is just a scripting language for assembly really.
Holy shit, one of the most fucking ignorant statements I've ever read in this forum. I'd fire you if you worked with me.
Wtf do you mean by "real programming language"? Read some books before throwing such outlandish remarks.
Unless I missed something this framework isn't C# based, which is what XNA uses. This framework,just as the title says uses HTML5, Javascript, and CSS, which 2 of them aren't programming languages.

C# is very similar to Java, a programming language, but Java isn't JavaScript, nor are they related. In fact, the syntax for JS more resembles C. Anyway JS IS a language but it's extremely high level language that runs within a web browser. It is used to tell different HTML elements what to do. I haven't worked with it in many years but last I used it, it wasn't used for much.

HTML5, M = Markup. Markup isn't programming.

CSS is just stylesheets. Technically, HTML + CSS both are Turing complete, but people who think they are programmers because they can make a webpage with HTML and CSS are kidding themselves.

EDIT: To further elaborate, JS tells the browser (or whatever it's embedded into) to do the work while programing languages while programming languages do the work itself.

GulAtiCa

HTML5 = Canvas, which is itself a language of itself inside Javascript.

You yourself said Javascript can't be used for much, but then you said you haven't used it in years. So you really don't know how much it can do these days. Javascript is very powerful these days, esp HTML5 stuff.

I've do this as a living (web programmer). Heck I've been doing this for past 15 years (I'm 27).

atbigelow

Unless I missed something this framework isn't C# based, which is what XNA uses. This framework,just as the title says uses HTML5, Javascript, and CSS, which 2 of them aren't programming languages.

C# is very similar to Java, a programming language, but Java isn't JavaScript, nor are they related. In fact, the syntax for JS more resembles C. Anyway JS IS a language but it's extremely high level language that runs within a web browser. It is used to tell different HTML elements what to do. I haven't worked with it in many years but last I used it, it wasn't used for much.

HTML5, M = Markup. Markup isn't programming.

CSS is just stylesheets. Technically, HTML + CSS both are Turing complete, but people who think they are programmers because they can make a webpage with HTML and CSS are kidding themselves.

EDIT: To further elaborate, JS tells the browser (or whatever it's embedded into) to do the work while programing languages while programming languages do the work itself.
Did you know that C# doesn't actually compile down to machine code and instead runs inside the .NET runtime? C# just tells the .NET runtime to do the work. Obviously not a "real" programming language.

If you can't pick up on the sarcasm there, you are wrong.

Top Bottom