• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panasonic asking staff to leave by 8 PM, focus on efficiency rather than long hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201702230001.html

Panasonic urges its 100,000 staff to leave work by 8 p.m. each day

By SATOSHI SHINDEN/ Staff Writer
February 23, 2017 at 09:00 JST

To reduce the incidence of overworking, Panasonic Corp. has instructed all 100,000 or so employees of its group companies in Japan to finish and leave work by 8 p.m. each day.

Company officials said the directive is aimed at reminding staff that they should concentrate on efficiency rather than working long hours.

Panasonic President Kazuhiro Tsuga wrote to the employees on Jan. 31 with the instruction, which was effective from that day.

Apart from the call to leave work by 8 p.m., the directive also recommends limiting overtime to a maximum of 80 hours a month for all staff, including managers, department heads and division chiefs.

Ein Bear

8pm is still insanely late to tell people to leave.

Really feel for people over there, it's a crazy amount of pressure to be under and an awful working culture. I'm out of the door at 5pm on the dot.

Yeah, guys. Only 60 hours a week!

I love Japan as a whole, but their work culture is fucking ridiculous. I don't even understand how they manage it. I feel like I die a little inside just being here for eight hours a day.

jackdoe

Assuming they go into work at 8 AM, that's still a 12 hour work day which is insane. And an 80 hour maximum overtime per month is still a ridiculously large number.

Good for Panasonic. That's still too much time dedicated to work, but hopefully other companies follow suit and slowly the toxic work culture can be shaved down

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
And then you wonder why their population has declined so much and is in that state of crisis.

They don't fucking get it?

And leave by 8pm!? Da fuck? When were they leaving before? LOL

Seriously, this needs to a worldwide thing. We need to stop going crazy over work.

I think the path towards less work per individual worldwide is unavoidable with the way automation is heading, but it does move slowly for some cultures. Japan has been a sore thumb in that regard for a while, and the US sticks out quite a bit too, at least in certain fields of work.

It's too bad that Japan may be too deep in the ditch they've dug to ever be able to get out of it unscathed.

Dio

Banned
It's also worth noting that even AFTER you finish your long ass work day, if your boss invites you and your coworkers to go drinking with him to finish off the day, you are extremely heavily socially pressured to join him, even if you're not feeling up to it.

So you could consider that even more time not to yourself, and will hardly be fun if you don't wanna be there.

8pm is still insanely late to tell people to leave.

Really feel for people over there, it's a crazy amount of pressure to be under and an awful working culture. I'm out of the door at 5pm on the dot.

If I left work at 8 I wouldn't get home until 10.

Fuck that noise. I'll take my 8-4 shift.

entremet

I think the path towards less work per individual worldwide is unavoidable with the way automation is heading, but it does move slowly for some cultures. Japan has been a sore thumb in that regard for a while, and the US sticks out quite a bit too, at least in certain fields of work.

It's too bad that Japan may be too deep in the ditch they've dug to ever be able to get out of it unscathed.
US isn't bad if you avoid workaholic centers like NYC and SV.

Dio

Banned
What about: leave at the agreed hours upon employment

"I worked in a kaisha for two years and ... I witnessed that they sleep at their desks to show exhaustion from work. So basically two hours asleep means they have to stay at least two hours after standard working hours. And also it is considered bad to leave before your boss and as most of time the boss has a boring life waiting for him back home he just sits there surfing the web or reading a newspaper while the other workers are dying to get home or out. (Kakukakushikajika)"

Pifje

Ah, yes, the classic 10 hour workday of which 100 % is efficient. Every single day, too.

Japan needs to take some more radical steps on that lethal work culture.

kmax

lol at that generosity.

8 P.M is still insane. It's no surprise that the population is dwindling with such crazy hours. People need more time together.

The sad thing is that they aren't even more effective with the longer hours. They are just as effective as the western world with shorter hours.

Wish more companies (especially creative ones) experienced with the six hour work day. The results in Sweden have so far been very positive.

Kyuur

Means shit if employees are expected to go for after-work drinks and the like.

As said though, baby steps I guess.

entremet

lol at that generosity.

8 P.M is still insane. It's no surprise that the population is dwindling with such crazy hours. People need more time together.

The sad thing is that they aren't even more effective with the longer hours. They are just as effective as the western world with shorter hours.
Yep. Humans have real cognitive limits.

Too bad the assholes at the top don't understand this.

Dali

I don't know if this is indicative of work hours but when I went to Tokyo it was frustratingly dead until like 10am or 11am, so leaving at 8pm doesn't seem that crazy.

Dio

Banned
By the way, at least the salarymen aren't working manga creator hours:

iBkA6fq.jpg

Josh5890

I don't think there is anything wrong with an eight (or nine hour day if you get to leave for an hour lunch) but that culture in Japan is scary.

Hazmat

Let's keep it to 12 hours a day people. The electricity cost of you working yourselves to death is really eating into our quarterly profits.

Dio

Banned
Small question, do people that work in japan get paid for extra hours?

Yes, but:

1 in 4 firms in Japan say workers log over 80 overtime hours a month

By industry, IT workers were found to be the most overworked, with 44.4 percent of IT companies that responded to the survey saying some of their employees did more than 80 hours of overtime per month. For academic, research and engineering-sector organizations the number was 40.5 percent, followed by transport and postal services companies at 38.4 percent.

If I were a billionaire, I'd want to start a manga studio just to save some of these people. It's crazy treatment, especially for a creative endevor.

Yeah, this is insane. If cutting this shit down to a chapter every two weeks would cut this down, they need to do that.

I had no idea it was that bad.

Mengetsu

Yeah, this is insane. If cutting this shit down to a chapter every two weeks would cut this down, they need to do that.

I had no idea it was that bad.

Working for a company in animation is just as bad in Japan and they get paid almost nothing for all the hard work. This is why when I see bad animation in super popular on going shows I say nothing and move on. Manga artists just have it bad with the Weekly Jump Schedule as seen above :/

Darg

Neo Member
lol at that generosity.

Yup, it's not Japan related but i know a dude who works like 13-14 hours a day, sometimes 16. Not non-stop (gets a break until they need him again so he has to be nearby most of the time) of coarse and lives in a trailer nearby the place. I just tell him whats the point of living if it's that kind of work?. Basically live to work at that point. The money is pretty good though but still.

Dio

Banned
Working for a company in animation is just as bad in Japan and they get paid almost nothing for all the hard work. This is why when I see bad animation in super popular on going shows I say nothing and move on. Manga artists just have it bad with the Weekly Jump Schedule as seen above :/

Related:

KbUF6VF.png

kswiston

Only 60 hour weeks? How will anything get done?!?!

The married men will now have to interact with their children and wives.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just saw this in the morning:
Japan attempts to curb ‘death by overwork' with Premium Friday

Karoshi, meaning death by overwork, is rampant in the country. Last spring, the country counted a record number of compensation claims related to death from overwork.

A cardiovascular-related death is recognized as karoshi when an employee has worked more than 100 hours of overtime in a month, or has worked more than 80 hours of overtime in two or more consecutive months in the previous six.

Crazy stuff.

kavanf1

Good that they're doing this. This crap is absolutely about tone from the top. I spent 7 years at a place with a "bums on seats" mentality - at 6pm the MD would walk the floor to see who was still at their desk, and these were the people he considered to be the hard workers. Didn't matter if they'd been fannying about all day as long as they were there looking busy after most people had left for the day. Ridiculous nonsense. It's been a real relief to move to a company where working 8.30am to 6pm is considered a long day.

By the way, at least the salarymen aren't working manga creator hours:

iBkA6fq.jpg
Man this just looks totally inefficient

Is this just for "new" authors and manga? I can't imagine a bigger manga like Naruto or One Piece doesn't have a dedicated team of trained artists working on the whole thing over the course of a week.

Dio

Banned
Man this just looks totally inefficient

Is this just for "new" authors and manga? I can't imagine a bigger manga like Naruto or One Piece doesn't have a dedicated team of trained artists working on the whole thing over the course of a week.

Some authors refuse to have assistants help them. I believe Togashi's infamous for that, he ruined his back by overworking in manga and now Hunter x Hunter has a ridiculously slow release date (thanks to him getting a great contract, otherwise I think HxH would have been dropped by now because of that)

As for the picture I posted, you'll notice all the pink sections are 'the team' you're talking about. He needs to draft the actual pages first before he can direct the assistants on what to do.

As for the professionals, most of them seem to only have the assistants do backgrounds - the manga author usually does all of the characters himself. Murata of Eyeshield 21 and the redrawn One Punch Man come to mind, he does all character art himself and assistants do backgrounds.

Some authors refuse to have assistants help them. I believe Togashi's infamous for that, he ruined his back by overworking in manga and now Hunter x Hunter has a ridiculously slow release date (thanks to him getting a great contract, otherwise I think HxH would have been dropped by now because of that)

As for the picture I posted, you'll notice all the pink sections are 'the team' you're talking about. He needs to draft the actual pages first before he can direct the assistants on what to do.

As for the professionals, most of them seem to only have the assistants do backgrounds - the manga author usually does all of the characters himself. Murata of Eyeshield 21 and the redrawn One Punch Man come to mind, he does all character art himself and assistants do backgrounds.

How detailed does a draft have to be? Surely with properly trained team they could replicate the vision from basic direction and understanding of the artistic goal

Obviously different than a one man show, but that kind of style seems completely undoable for getting these products out weekly

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
And then you wonder why their population has declined so much and is in that state of crisis.

They don't fucking get it?

And leave by 8pm!? Da fuck? When were they leaving before? LOL

there are a lot of japanese children who know their father only as "the man who sleeps in moms bed" or only get to see him at the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom