• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panasonic asking staff to leave by 8 PM, focus on efficiency rather than long hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
Let's keep it to 12 hours a day people. The electricity cost of you working yourselves to death is really eating into our quarterly profits.

Doesn't Japan have one of the longest lifespans in the world? They would be working to death while living the longest.

Schrodinger's worker.

A 12 hour day after the reduction of hours? Panasonic does not understand what efficiency means. Should have told worker to go home at 4 pm instead of 8 pm. I wonder about the well being of people in this kind of over work culture, and its effect on efficiency.

Oibignose

Working like that is my idea of hell. How many of these poor souls at Panasonic really even need to be in the office at all. Let your staff work from home two days a week and they will probably be as productive and not suicidal by 10am Tuesday morning.

Working like that is my idea of hell. How many of these poor souls at Panasonic really even need to be in the office at all. Let your staff work from home two days a week and they will probably be as productive and not suicidal by 10am Tuesday morning.

From what I heard from a japanese friend, you dont really work at all. You pretend to work after your time (because you are already finished with your work) and kinda sit there till the boss goes home.

Dio

Banned
From what I heard from a japanese friend, you dont really work at all. You pretend to work after your time (because you are already finished with your work) and kinda sit there till the boss goes home.

This. It's culturally unacceptable to go home before your boss goes home, from what I know. Then, you're obligated to accept if your boss invites everyone out to go drinking with him, so that's you getting home even later.

woolley

Doing 50 hour weeks have been killing me. I don't even know how you could do more, by the end of the day I'm so mentally exhausted I'm barely getting any actual work done. Living to work seems like a horrible way to live.

Dio

Banned
Doing 50 hour weeks have been killing me. I don't even know how you could do more, by the end of the day I'm so mentally exhausted I'm barely getting any actual work done. Living to work seems like a horrible way to live.

Depends on what kind of job you've got.

I worked 150 hours over the space of two weeks in January this year.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Early on in my career when I was still in the gaming industry, it got to the point during crunch time where 60 hour weeks were easy - we still got to have weekends off! It got tougher once we were in the 80-90+ hour range during the final push through cert/submission and the release date. That was easier for me to handle back then because I still in my early to mid 20s and didn't have a family, house, and a bunch of other stuff to worry about. I don't think I can keep that sort of schedule up these days with all the other stuff I have to do now.

Glix

Work schedule like the manga guy is lunacy and unhealthy but at least he is working and creating.

The other stuff about employees having to stay until the boss goes home or having to stay because other employees are staying and will look better than you even if you do better work is horrifying. There is literally no need for it. I cannot imagine how frustrating it is.

ianpm31

We should follow countries like Denmark and Netherlands and embrace the 4-day work week because it improves efficiency. The 40-hour work week is outdated.

McHuj

I can't imagine it's actually productive work. More like being at work to be see as working. Same thing happens in the US as well.

the1npc

We should follow countries like Denmark and Netherlands and embrace the 4-day work week because it improves efficiency. The 40-hour work week is outdated.

Maybe if you have an office space like job.
Im in landscaping working 50h weeks its not bad at all. 7-5:30 with saturday optional.
If I worked 4h a day id be broke af.

Yeah my mom who's Japanese used to work at a big company, and she said by 4 pm there wasn't shit to do, so everyone would just act like they're working.

Or businessmen would go to meetings with partner companies, and the meeting would be over in an hour so they would spend another hour or two lollygagging around the city before returning. It's funny because I remember going to book stores in Japan, and there would be a shitload of salarymen just standing around reading manga and shit lol.

Dingens

Some of my work colleagues dont leave until 10pm and they get to work at 730am. Luckily as a foreigner Im not expected to work such hours.

It has probably less to do with your status as a foreigner and more with your contract - which probably isn't a "real contract", or rather what most japanese would consider a "real contract"
This ofc is just a guess based on my own experiences

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
That's a step in the right direction, I guess.

I hope workers don't have to go out for mandatory drinks afterwards or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom