• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Patriot" on Amazon Prime starring Michael Dorman, Terry O'Quinn & Kurtwood Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVexperto

0sBFHCz.png

To prevent Iran from going nuclear, intelligence officer John Tavner must forgo all safety nets and assume a perilous "non-official cover" -- that of a mid-level employee at a Midwestern industrial piping firm.

• Michael Dorman as John Tavner
  • Terry O'Quinn as Tom Tavner
  • Kurtwood Smith as Leslie Claret
  • Michael Chernus as Edward Tavner
  • Kathleen Munroe as Alice Tavner
  • Aliette Opheim as Agathe Albans

Anybody watching it? Seems like a mix between Burn Notice and Homeland for me. The pilot is pretty good

Trailer doesnt really tell you much

Reviews:
Good Review: Amazon’s ‘Patriot’ Takes the Spy Thriller to a New Place
Bad Review: Variety - TV Review: the insufferable Amazon series “Patriot”

Justin

How is this thread not 10 pages long?!? This show is amazing. I only have the last two episodes left but if you are a fan of a movie like In Bruges, like the dark comedy of the Coen brothers and a bit of the surrealism of Wes Anderson then you owe it to yourself to at least check out the pilot.

tim.mbp

Finished the season, enjoyed it. It really is Coen brothers-esque. Like the baby of Burn After Reading and Fargo the TV series.

I can say the first episode was amazing, and yeah I hadn't heard anything about it, just saw it on the list of shows on prime.

I have not watched Quinn since Lost, and I was sure i would follow him anywhere after his performance on that show.

I think Emerson was the only Lost alumni I ended up keeping up with - in Person of Interest

Klocker

Man the first episode was great. I just hope they can keep up this quality... had some bait and switches with Amazon pilots before.

But man that long one shot at the end of episode 1 as he leaves the building and walks to his car and drives off.... was phenomenal.

Bluth54

How is this thread not 10 pages long?!? This show is amazing. I only have the last two episodes left but if you are a fan of a movie like In Bruges, like the dark comedy of the Coen brothers and a bit of the surrealism of Wes Anderson then you owe it to yourself to at least check out the pilot.

This sounds pretty good. I'll have to check it out this weekend.

Klocker

5 episodes in and man this show just is so subtle and hilarious while being dark and poignant equally.

Criminally underappreciated.

pa22word

I really loved this entire show from start to finish, and was dying of laughter throughout the entire thing. Am kinda shocked no one is talking about it, Amazon especially. If I put out something this good I'd be shouting from the rooftops about it trying to get people to watch it. Hell the only reason I even gave it a chance to begin with when I saw it buried in the video section was because I have prime and was feeling chumpish for barely watching their OG programming despite paying for it.

The "dick cheney" episode was one of my favorite gags.
"...who's dick cheney" + "Lakeman!!!!! YOU FUCKING SHOT ME IN THE FACE!"

Belker

This is very, very good series. Well acted, cleverly written and filmed with multiple plots converging over several episodes with callbacks and different camera angles. Great soundtrack and song choice, including post-credit.

It's like the Coen brothers decided to make a spy series and used Pulp Fiction's timeline as inspiration. I hadn't picked up on the Wes Anderson vibe until just mentioned it. He's right and that's not a bad thing, even if like me you don't like his films.

I put it on just for something watch and ended up seeing a series The like of which I didn't know existed.

Amir0x

Banned
I was dying at every Ichabod joke lol

Also that endless Rochambeau match... couldn't breathe from laughing so hard

Will check it out after work today. I love dark comedy. Amazon hasn't promoted this at all, even though they made the show possible.

Stoze

Yeah, I watched this over the past few days and adored it. Started a re-watch with my parents and I'm already noticing new details like
the Detective digging out a Twizzlers box out of the trash
in episode 2.

My only complaint is I thought it leaned a bit too heavily on its own inside gags and parallelisms the deeper I got into the season. By the end some of that stuff felt more like a writer's crutch rather than something that was initially clever.

Other than that I thought it was excellent. Very well paced, shot, edited, directed, etc., and overall highly entertaining and charming. This is on a completely different tier from the little I've watched of other Amazon stuff imo.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, I watched this over the past few days and adored it. Started a re-watch with my parents and I'm already noticing new details like
the Detective digging out a Twizzlers box out of the trash
in episode 2.

My only complaint is I thought it leaned a bit too heavily on its own inside gags and parallelisms the deeper I got into the season. By the end some of that stuff felt more like a writer's crutch rather than something that was initially clever.

Other than that I thought it was excellent. Very well paced, shot, edited, directed, etc., and overall highly entertaining and charming. This is on a completely different tier from the little I've watched of other Amazon stuff imo.

Sneaky Pete and Transparent are the only two other Amazon shows I really think are this tier.

Mozart in the Jungle and Man in High Castle is the next tier down.

this_guy

From what I have watched, this is a best TV show of the year contender. What do others think?

I still like Goliath best of any Amazon Prime shows, but it came out back in November. I'm also really looking forward to Fargo season 3 which comes out in April. The first two seasons of Fargo were great. Fargo is probably my current favorite series.

Stoze

Sneaky Pete and Transparent are the only two other Amazon shows I really think are this tier.

Mozart in the Jungle and Man in High Castle is the next tier down.
I've only watched bits of the bottom tier, so makes sense. Definitely want to check out Sneaky Pete.
From what I have watched, this is a best TV show of the year contender. What do others think?
It's pretty early but I agree. I'm looking forward to Fargo S3 but admittedly I wasn't a huge fan of season 2 overall, at least in comparison to the first.

Klocker

It may not be for everybody as it is definitely different than any other top tier shows but I agree the best I have seen in a while actually.

I love how surreal it is at times and the camera work and timing of scenes was amazing.

Goliath started strong but couldn't maintain it , sneaky Pete was good but is shot more like a CBS show imo where this feels like a feature film that lasted ten hours.

Of course Fargo better call Saul are yet to come but this owns it's own spot and is unique

I love dark humor shows like this. Unfortunately I think this is just going to be lost in the avalanche of Peak TV and no one will watch it.

Stumbled on to this show a few weeks ago and binged all 10 episodes in a few days. I loved it and can't wait for season 2. Don't let me down Amazon 😒

Amir0x

Banned
Does Sneaky Pete get good? I only watched up to the second episode.

Yeah, I think so. First episode is basically a different show in tone (from what I understand it started as a procedural?), but from episode 2 up it builds steadily into a sort of heist show mixed with lots of doublecrossing.

It's very well done. It's not, like, a top ten TV show, but it's definitely quite good and worth the investment. And Cranston steals the show.

Tokubetsu

Really fucking with this one. The tone of it def. not for some but I love how it feels almost everyday-ish mixed with very raw/intense moments of surrealism. Killer music choice too.

Klocker

Watched it twice now second time with my girlfriend.

She loved it too though not quite as much as me.

Second time through was just as good for me though I did notice a few scenes that slowed it down a bit. But overall I actually can't wait to watch it again.

It's got a very comforting quality to it. It's dark and surreal yet poignant. I love the music in it. The dialog and phrasing is perfect.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The jumps between levity, metal gear like low-key espionage spook stuff, and violence is truly something I havent seen before. I dig it.

Its like a consistently darker Burn After Reading

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Really loved almost all of the first 7 episodes, but the last 3 kind of had an aimless dragging on effect to them. I still enjoyed them, but John's increasing depression, coupled with his father's continued depravity in pushing him to cover his ass didn't carry a lot of tension, nor allow for the series' trademark humor.

That's not to say there weren't hugely enjoyable moments in those last few episodes, but on a whole, some of the schtick had worn a little thin.

Secret best character in the show:
Dennis...or maybe Master Roshambo player, Agathe

This is show is so fucking great. When john was just sitting in the pipe, and everyone aired their grievances. Ro Sham Bo! His wife! Everything. I need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom