• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Patriot" on Amazon Prime starring Michael Dorman, Terry O'Quinn & Kurtwood Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to bump this thread because I watched this this week and hope others will too.

If you're just reading this thread, give the show a chance for a few episodes. After one episode I wasn't sure if I got "it" but after three I was hooked. It's Coen Bros dark comedy mixed with Better Call Saul in its meticulous details and steady pacing. I seriously think its one of the finest shows I've seen this year, and I've seen most of them.

Klocker

I have to bump this thread because I watched this this week and hope others will too.

If you're just reading this thread, give the show a chance for a few episodes. After one episode I wasn't sure if I got "it" but after three I was hooked. It's Coen Bros dark comedy mixed with Better Call Saul in its meticulous details and steady pacing. I seriously think its one of the finest shows I've seen this year, and I've seen most of them.

Right on

Yeah. I've watched most of the highly rated new shows this year (Legion, The Handmaid's Tale, American Gods, etc.), and this is easily the best.

There are so many layers to this show e.g. in the fifth episode, when you see John in the crate, the music the torturer is playing is American Pie. And then in the last episode, you hear the song playing again.

Fantastic show. Hope it doesn't get canned or dumb itself down to appeal to "prestige" drama critics.

Yeah. I've watched most of the highly rated new shows this year (Legion, The Handmaid's Tale, American Gods, etc.), and this is easily the best.

There are so many layers to this show e.g. in the fifth episode, when you see John in the crate, the music the torturer is playing is American Pie. And then in the last episode, you hear the song playing again.

Fantastic show. Hope it doesn't get canned or dumb itself down to appeal to "prestige" drama critics.

Thankfully Amazon has given it a second season already. I do wonder if the second season will be as tightly constructed as the first. I would hope so! The way the show continually revealed more layers to the simple initial problem made it very satisfying to watch for me.

Matt Zoller Seitz had a Twitter thread a while back asking about shows people liked that writers weren't giving attention to and saw Patriot mentioned a fair number of times. Glad I gave it a chance. 100% clicked with me. Terrific cast. I love how the main actor personifies sadness but there's still a humor to it. Amazon should promote this one better.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
This show is basically like if the Coen Bros and Mitchel Hurwitz made a spy thriller.

Incredible pacing, incredible setups/payoffs, and incredible performances.

I was hoping for news, but a new fan IS good news, I guess. I love this show so much.
I recommend it to friends and family, and then follow up to make sure they understand that this is a much-watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom