• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC overrules state laws to help two cities build out their fiber networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
And some, like Commissioner Michael O'Rielly from New York objected to the very idea of any government entity offering broadband. He opened his own dissent by saying the proposal "highlights the unprecedented lengths the commission is willing to go in undermining the free market system, federal statutes, the US constitution and common sense in order to try and dictate where, when and how broadband is provided."

Amazing.

CDX

Chatt's fiber internet is fucking amazing. 100/100 no cap for $58. 1000/1000 is $70. There's TV and phone service as well.

This is the kind of thing you guys want in your cities.

More of the U.S. really needs to have service like this available.

I hope now that actually happens.

More of the U.S. really needs to have service like this available.

I hope now that actually happens.
I have two other provides in my area who tell me that they do 100 mbps. they cost about the same as comcast and honestly as long they do better than comcast (I'm paying for 100 mbps and getting like 60-70) then I'm game. I just want to not get played like a damn fiddle. Save me Google fiber you're my only hope

Absolutely absurd.

People need to get their free market ideology out of here. It's not applicable and it's flawed to begin with.

Not only is this not a free market, but the market is failing to serve the needs of the people.

If a market isn't serving people, then what good are markets?

At some point, people should be allowed to collectively on a local level invest in a broadband infrastructure (which is on public land) to serve the needs of the people.

VYhh3EM.jpg

This is my favorite gif on GAF easily.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Obama truly is King of America. I say that in the best possible way. Here's hoping your internet access continues to improve, maybe one day you'll be rid of those pesky bandwidth caps!

My Comcast bill is now 96 dollars a month for 20mbs (actual speed) and about 25 TV channels. Its awful.

Holy fuck. That package would be like 40 EUR in Sweden. My friend pays 25-30-ish for 100mbs internet. No bandwidth caps, no throttling. Your ISP's truly are greedy fucks

cajunator

Banned
hopefully this sort of ruling reaches the Lafayette area so they can build our existing gigabit fiber line out past city limits. Otherwise I will always live within the city.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah no. There's no giving of anything here since "we" the people have never controlled a thing. ISPs have controlled the internet for decades and were set to control it even more (see tiered pricing, Netflix throttling, city municipial fiber bans, mega corporate mergers, billion+ dollar Congressional lobbying, even more lobbyists getting political positions of power, etc.).

Net neutrality is the government stepping in and limiting the ways ISPs can fuck us over. There is no control of internet access here that is being taken away from the consumer to give to the government. Hell, the opposite.

Was just about to post something similar, but you summed it up perfectly.

I'm so glad this has happened, and am utterly shocked that it did. The fact that I'm so surprised that the FCC did something positive for the people and not corporations is depressing

gcubed

My Comcast bill is now 96 dollars a month for 20mbs (actual speed) and about 25 TV channels. Its awful.

you are getting screwed, which can be fixed with a phone call. Its not excuse, but you should not be paying htat much.

i have 100mb internet and digital preferred cable with HBO for under 100

you are getting screwed, which can be fixed with a phone call. Its not excuse, but you should not be paying htat much.

i have 100mb internet and digital preferred cable with HBO for under 100
I tried phonecall...they were ok with letting me go when I said that I'm gonna look elsewhere. Its probably because they knew comcast was the only provider in the area with that rate. AT&T and Wow were more expensive.

Jonm1010

Banned
you cant be this rude can you?

oh wait, it's the internet. forget I'm not talking to human beings anymore.
To be less rude though I'm pretty sure Google is on record saying that they think net neutrality may actually help build out their fiber network if eventually it opens up access to the same telephone infrastructure the cable monopolies get access too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom