• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House votes to undermine net neutrality rules, and ISPs cheer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
Lets not kid ourselves, this isn't just a Republican thing. We're getting screwed from both sides. They all work for big business.

zjt3Egp.png

Both parties are the same.

???

Wilsongt

Marsha Blackburn leading the charge to regulate what happens in a woman's vagina and well as what kind of internet we have.

The party of small government, ladies and gentlemen.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Who was the one (D) bag who voted aye? S/he needs to be ousted from office.

I checked into it for ya, and out of personal interest:

Votes for:

Scott Peters - This district is a mess. But it appears it's probably not a good candidate to Primary.

Collin Peterson - Might not being worth primarying. Minnesota house district, blue dog democrat. Might not win the seat otherwise.

Kyrsten Sinema - I'd like to know why she voted for it. She appears to be quite liberal but is from Arizona.

Albio Sires - Dude is a left behind Republican in New Jersey. Good candidate to consider to primary as a good Democrat might be able to take the seat. The district went for Kerry.

Jim Costa - California Rep - Appears to be a center left Democrat in a district that votes Democrat. Might be a good candidate to primary.

Correct - this bill is 100% republican. My point is most politicians have a connection to corporations in one way or another.
Okay and the politicians of one of those parties uniformly voted in favor of corporate interests while the politicians of the other almost uniformly voted against corporate interests.

Yeah, people who work at corporations donate to candidates on both sides. Who the fuck cares? I'm tired of people pushing this "Politicians on BOTH SIDES are bought by the corporations!" shit as if it's just a universally accepted fact that they don't need to prove. You can show the quid but you can't show the quo pro. Even the much bitched about for kowtowing to corporate interests Affordable Care Act or Dodd-Frank were and are opposed by the corporations.

giga

Okay and the politicians of one of those parties uniformly voted in favor of corporate interests while the politicians of the other almost uniformly voted against corporate interests.

Yeah, people who work at corporations donate to candidates on both sides. Who the fuck cares? I'm tired of people pushing this "Politicians on BOTH SIDES are bought by the corporations!" shit as if it's just a universally accepted fact that they don't need to prove. You can show the quid but you can't show the quo pro. Even the much bitched about for kowtowing to corporate interests Affordable Care Act or Dodd-Frank were and are opposed by the corporations.
It's the misjudgment of opensecrets. Is there money in politics? Without a doubt. Does that mean it translates 1:1 in policy decisions? Nope. It's a useful tool but is misused far too often.

I checked into it for ya, and out of personal interest:

Votes for:

Scott Peters - This district is a mess. But it appears it's probably not a good candidate to Primary.

Collin Peterson - Might not being worth primarying. Minnesota house district, blue dog democrat. Might not win the seat otherwise.

Kyrsten Sinema - I'd like to know why she voted for it. She appears to be quite liberal but is from Arizona.

Albio Sires - Dude is a left behind Republican in New Jersey. Good candidate to consider to primary as a good Democrat might be able to take the seat. The district went for Kerry.

Jim Costa - California Rep - Appears to be a center left Democrat in a district that votes Democrat. Might be a good candidate to primary.

buh? Costa's the only one who voted in favor of this bill in particular, what's with the other four?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Good idea republicans your base doesn't watch cable, use the Internet and nobody has indoctrinated them with the idea of freedom as a magical panacea.

It's the misjudgment of opensecrets. Is there money in politics? Without a doubt. Does that mean it translates 1:1 in policy decisions? Nope. It's a useful tool but is misused far too often.
For sure, we should always be on our toes with politicians whether it's Congressional Republicans or Hillary or Bernie. Politicians are people and thus inherently flawed and susceptible to greed and corruption.

That being said when there's a pretty fucking sterling example of one side acting like complete tools and the other side staking out the completely opposite position, maybe it'd be best for people to find some other hill to die on with the "Both sides do it!" thought that every single person in the U.S. has had at least once and you're not a special, enlightened snowflake for thinking it.

Apt101

Don't understand why people vote in these Republicans and think they are getting supported.

To be fair, thanks to gerrymandering, even though a large majority of the nation voted Democrat the GOP still maintained control of the House. And with conservative members of the Supreme Court dropping all attempts to at least pretend to look objective, they can make it even harder for certain demographics to even vote. US politics.

Correct - this bill is 100% republican. My point is most politicians have a connection to corporations in one way or another.

There is nothing inherently wrong with politicians having connections with corporations. It's the details of those relationships that matter and in this and many other cases, there is a stark difference between the parties.

Did you really assume that this bill was 100% Republican when you made your first post?

To be fair, thanks to gerrymandering, even though a large majority of the nation voted Democrat the GOP still maintained control of the House. And with conservative members of the Supreme Court dropping all attempts to at least pretend to look objective, they can make it even harder for certain demographics to even vote. US politics.
Neat thing is if Hillary improved upon Barack's performance by even three points, the prospects of a Democratic House majority increases drastically:

KDK2016041401-table1.png

Of course, while Obama won 209 districts in 2012 (it's 211 in the chart because a couple states have had to draw new maps since then), Democrats only held 201 so there's certain to be some ticket-splitting, but even then that represents an all-time high of party polarization. Democratic president winning by 7 points should be enough to give them a slim majority. When we're talking Trump or Cruz as the nominee that's certainly plausible.

Wilsongt

That and Democrats don't vote in midterms.

Neat thing is if Hillary improved upon Barack's performance by even three points, the prospects of a Democratic House majority increases drastically:

KDK2016041401-table1.png

Of course, while Obama won 209 districts in 2012 (it's 211 in the chart because a couple states have had to draw new maps since then), Democrats only held 201 so there's certain to be some ticket-splitting, but even then that represents an all-time high of party polarization. Democratic president winning by 7 points should be enough to give them a slim majority. When we're talking Trump or Cruz as the nominee that's certainly plausible.

fwiw that was 201 House districts going D out of 211 he won at the time, or about 95.25%

95.25% of seats at each percentage point improvement gets 224-211 R, 224-211 D (!), and 230-205 D

AlphaDump

Gold Member

that is disingenuous to just back your way into a corporations talking point. The republicans here are voting because of ISP lobbyists giving them money, not Democrats.

Where have Democrats voted in favor of just pure corporate self interests (and not people) like this? I am genuinely curious.

My hometown went to Romney and Atkins (the legitmate rape dude) in the 2012.

Most of my classmates still in town, voted some jackass named Schatz because they were friends with his son (who died a year earlier.)

I hate living in small town Missouri.

I remember when this was a largely technical debate confined to Ars Technica and similar websites. Then Obama ventured an opinion on it, and it became a national existential crisis.

I hate our system. It looks so fine on paper, but the corporations run the system and can pretty much lobby to politicians to get their laws passed. This goes for both parties. I wish we would not allow corporations to contribute to campaigns. Disgusting. Tax the internet? More like lets let the telcoms rip off consumers with caps and high speed lanes at a cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom