• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GA Sports Whore Madden Wii Impressions (And other EA goodies)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Just got done with the EA walkthrough, had my own little sitdown with Madden Wii and an EA rep. Got one word for ya:

Believe.

Let's get some things out of the way, first, the Wii version of the game runs on a modified PS2/Xbox game engine. It does not look or animate like the PS3/X360 game, nor does it play anywhere near it. Personally, I think this is good news. Second, the demo was broken into three parts, Pocket Presence drill (minus the tennis balls), Clutch Kicking drill, and a 2 minute drill.

Basically, you choose who you want to throw to by using either the A button or the directional pad, for a total of five receivers. Flick hard for a bullet, softer for a touch/lob pass. The game had a bit of trouble recognizing when I wanted to lob just to try it out, but that may just be me getting used to things. You move the QB with the analog nunchaku, and pass with Revmote.

Kicking was actually pretty fucking badass. You can move the arrow with the analog stick and you hike the ball with the A button. After hiking the ball, you must move the revmote in a sweeping up motion to kick. The faster/wider you do it, the stronger the kick. What was VERY cool was that you could rotate the revmote in order to get the slice down. So by the end of my session with the kicking demo I was like fuck the arrow, I'm just shanking this shit through! You will need the arrow to determine the height of the kick.

The gameplay itself was decently good. Being as it was our favorite Madden engine (FUCK YOU NEXT GEN) I was familiar already. I had to be the Steelers (ugh) and my first play was a dive to the right. Got in behind my blockers and came up on a defender. You can use the nunchaku and the revmote to do things like the juke and the stiffarm, or you can flick both the nunchaku and the revmote forward to do a truck stick. I trucked that fucking safety to hell and got my first down. Fucking Seahawk scumbag.... but anyway!

Next play I wanted to try the passing, hiked the ball (pull the revmote back) and dropped with Benny Roth, the D was good so I did a quick dumpoff to the Steelers FB (Kreider...?) and started rumblind downfield. Stiffarmed one dude and I blasted another one with the hitstick to get the first down. After that the asshole EA rep, I mean uh... the coolest dude ever, took over to explain shit to the crowd so he ran down my time. I did however get to see the D and other things...

Pre-snap adjustements have not been implemented into the game yet, but according to the guy everything that is in Madden will be in this version. Defensively you hitstick like you truckstick. I didn't get a chance to play D, but I assume you tackle with the A button or one of the triggers. On D you can use the pointer from the revmote to pick a guy to control. Playselection is also with the pointer. Spin and swim moves to shed tacklers had not been implemented yet, but the guy mentioned they will use free motion control for it. (Like rotate the controller to spin that direction)

Special teams was the same dealy. Punting was just like FGs, and then it's the individual offensive/defensive controls from there.

That's about it though. Any questions feel free to ask, but I have an appointment at 1 PM with 2K sports.

Overall, this is the best next gen madden based on the engine alone. While it will take some getting used to, I think this would be a fun pickup aside from whatever is our main league version. I cannot imagine how this would work if there was lag online or something.

Army of Two looks and will be AWESOME! The demo from the EA rep was great.

Spore will be great, but it looks like it will be very involved.

NCAA 07 is the real deal, douches.

Tiger Woods 07 will look amazing.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Thanks for the impressions.

This is more of a bump than anything else, as I don't really care about Madden personally, but I saw the topic on the second page with no replies and was like o_0 because I know people were waiting for your impressions yesterday.

Now Tiger Woods Wii...there's a game I'd love to read about. Obviously it's not at the show or even announced, but it's surely one of the titles EA have under development, it makes too much sense not to be.

Does it run at 60 FPS? I'm really hoping the Wiimote has good baseball implementation as well, thanks for the impressions.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
clearacell said:
Does it run at 60 FPS? I'm really hoping the Wiimote has good baseball implementation as well, thanks for the impressions.
wii jpn basball for the win. hopefully the system is just as easy to mod for imports as then GCN. (or not locked out at all)

madden sounds cool though. as long as it has the depth of current gen versions I will definitely pick it up.

PkunkFury

I'm actually really interested in this and I haven't played Madden for years. It sounds like one of the best, if not the best, title on Wii right now. All the impressions (though they've been admittedly few) I've read on this game are positive. I expected this to be a very tough sell since Madden fans are used to the way they play their games (like Smash brothers fans, why did you cop out and give them the GC controller Sakurai :( ). I'm genuinely surprised people are enjoying this and I can't wait to pick it up

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
thanks for the impressions, but I might be a lil too lazy to play Madden on wii. Call me a lazy bum, but it's the truth. I am not ready to give up totally on the next gen Madden though. I really didn't think last year's Madden was complete garbage, I just felt like it wasn't completed. We will see in August. Maybe we are returning to the days when NCAA was the best football game in the EA stable. I am looking forward to both NCAA and Madden.

Has anyone played NBA Live this week?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Yes, it's 60 FPS, and no, there is no grass. Remember, it's the current gen engine with just a bit better graphics.

Live was not at the show but there was an animation demo behind close doors. Same with Tiger Woods.

Wellington,

First, thanks for the impression. Second, can you do me a huge favor? In NCAA 07 for the 360 can you play with the Seminoles and tell me how the tomahawk stickers are arranged on the helmet. Example of how it should look below. Also this is pushing it, but if you could, could you sim a season with the Seminoles (I believe season or franchise mode is available in the demo) to see if they capped the pride stickers at 48 again this year. Thanks Tiki, whoops I mean Wellie.

1029547558859_FloridaState2.jpg

Matlock

Banned
Nice impressions...And the running game sounds as good as I thought it'd be.

So, uh.

1. Is online confirmed?
2. Do you think the Wii version could eventually be the basis of a seperate league if so?

Mrbob

Damn it, don't tell me I'm going to be buying 3 versions of Madden this year?

I'll get Madden 360, and after I realize it sucks I'll pick up the Xbox version. Then I'll also have to get the Wii version just to try it out.

Did you grill Tiburon about the problems with next gen Madden and what they are doing to address them?

Also, can you talk anymore about Army of Two? I've been wanting to hear more about this game.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Quick Welle, Which console had the best version of madden this year?

Edit: Fun-Factor wise.

unifin

Sounds great - good to hear that the Wiimote seems to be living up to its hype, for the most part.

Fuck the Red Steel haters - it's the dev's problem, not the controller's!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I just freaking found the PS2 version of Madden, it is by far the best football game ever. I can't even believe how these fucking guys improve on the game year in and year out.

New for 07 PS2:

-Dudes defending the punt can dive and swat the ball back from going over the goal line (when I saw this animation I nearly shit myself).

-Juke is now context and player sensitive and includes getting skinny. If you are approaching the LOS, the players will get skinny when you attempt to juke. Also, different jukes do come out. I saw a couple of different jukes, one where Tiki took a couple of chppy sidesteps, one where it's the light change of direction that we do, the traditional juke, get skinny, and a harder juke than the original.

-Run to Daylight works better here than on next gen systems. You hit the block then boom, press circle, the game slows down, you switch back to your RB (so you can get your orientation) and you go from there. Cool shit is that I wasn't switching back and Tiki was owning shit up. It will obviously be AWR related.

-New animations. WRs and RBs fight HARD to get out of bounds, it was actually laugh out loud funny. New hit animations as well. I didn't see jump catching, because I don't even try it, to be honest! I play fair gents!

-Pressing for coverage, line, lb or receiver audibles brings up a cool transparent menu on the upper left or right side of the screen that show all of the potential commands. Kinda sucks for all the dudes that knew all of them, like me. :lol

-The rumors from before are FALSE. No LB coverage ratings and stuff like that.

-Online "Clubs". You can join the club for ease of doing tournaments, EA locker, shit like that. No online leagues. LD rox anyway!

Man PS2 Madden was fucking great. I am getting potentially 3 versions of Madden too now. :(

:lol

DMczaf

-Online "Clubs". You can join the club for ease of doing tournaments, EA locker, shit like that.

Will there be Club rankings and stuff like Halo 2?

If so, GAF is going to fuck shit up! The only way we know how!

-Dudes defending the punt can dive and swat the ball back from going over the goal line (when I saw this animation I nearly shit myself).

Fucking finally! I was getting sick of getting screwed over thanks to my players not reacting to the ball during punts!

Miguel

I skimmed through the thread so I didn't see if Wellington posted about Head Coach. Me and Wasabi spoke with the EA Rep at the 360/Head Coach booth. It looks great. I played about 10 minutes of it. It took a while to be able to get a bunch of things done before the clock runs down. You have to motivate your players, strategize with specific players/positions. No sooner than I spoke to Polamalu about getting beat on the previous drive, that he comes up and deflects what could have likely been a 30+ yard catch.

Madden for PS2 is the real deal!

Lead blocking is THE F'N BOMB. I switched over to my tight end pre-snap, and saw a linebacker getting a bit too anxious, so I decided rather than block pull out and block like I was supposed to, that I would pick up the blitzing LB. Turns out I chose right as the guy I was supposed to be responsible for dropped back into coverage, while I picked up the blitzer, and Davis ended up with a 8 yard gain before being knocked out of bounds.

No playable Live ;_;

Virtua Tennis 3! :D

Quick Non-sports notes:
-Nintendo has sold me on DSLite
-Heavenly Sword am the bomb.
-Blu-Ray ;-;
-I want a DSLite
-BF2142 looks amazing. Too bad I don't like FPS nor PC games, but damn. :eek:
-Work Time Fun (WTF) looks pretty awesome, even if it's a Wario Ware ripoff.
-DSLite. DSLite. DSLite.
-I still haven't played Wii, I hope to do so tomorrow morning. If not, then I won't even bother with the RIDICULOUS lines to get to it.
-FMT, where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu? :lol
-
DSLite!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Wow, thanks for the PS2 impressions.

Just seems like the maturation of an engine. Now I am wondering did EA make the right call by creating a new engine for next gen instead of just updating a port.

Mrbob

Wellington said:
I just freaking found the PS2 version of Madden, it is by far the best football game ever. I can't even believe how these fucking guys improve on the game year in and year out.

New for 07 PS2:

-Juke is now context and player sensitive and includes getting skinny. If you are approaching the LOS, the players will get skinny when you attempt to juke. Also, different jukes do come out. I saw a couple of different jukes, one where Tiki took a couple of chppy sidesteps, one where it's the light change of direction that we do, the traditional juke, get skinny, and a harder juke than the original.

-Run to Daylight works better here than on next gen systems. You hit the block then boom, press circle, the game slows down, you switch back to your RB (so you can get your orientation) and you go from there. Cool shit is that I wasn't switching back and Tiki was owning shit up. It will obviously be AWR related.

-New animations. WRs and RBs fight HARD to get out of bounds, it was actually laugh out loud funny. New hit animations as well. I didn't see jump catching, because I don't even try it, to be honest! I play fair gents!

-Pressing for coverage, line, lb or receiver audibles brings up a cool transparent menu on the upper left or right side of the screen that show all of the potential commands. Kinda sucks for all the dudes that knew all of them, like me. :lol

-The rumors from before are FALSE. No LB coverage ratings and stuff like that.

-Online "Clubs". You can join the club for ease of doing tournaments, EA locker, shit like that. No online leagues. LD rox anyway!

Man PS2 Madden was fucking great. I am getting potentially 3 versions of Madden too now. :(

This makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy to see all the current gen improvements, and sad to know this is going to own the fuck out of next gen madden. PS2/Xbox Madden definitive versions.

Matlock

Banned
:lol I'm going to second dskillz here--if the PS2 engine has gotten that good why not use that base?

Also dammit, does Madden Wii have online? :-|

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
Miguel said:
I skimmed through the thread so I didn't see if Wellington posted about Head Coach. Me and Wasabi spoke with the EA Rep at the 360/Head Coach booth. It looks great. I played about 10 minutes of it. It took a while to be able to get a bunch of things done before the clock runs down. You have to motivate your players, strategize with specific players/positions. No sooner than I spoke to Polamalu about getting beat on the previous drive, that he comes up and deflects what could have likely been a 30+ yard catch.

Madden for PS2 is the real deal!

Lead blocking is THE F'N BOMB. I switched over to my tight end pre-snap, and saw a linebacker getting a bit too anxious, so I decided rather than block pull out and block like I was supposed to, that I would pick up the blitzing LB. Turns out I chose right as the guy I was supposed to be responsible for dropped back into coverage, while I picked up the blitzer, and Davis ended up with a 8 yard gain before being knocked out of bounds.

No playable Live ;_;

Virtua Tennis 3! :D

Quick Non-sports notes:
-Nintendo has sold me on DSLite
-Heavenly Sword am the bomb.
-Blu-Ray ;-;
-I want a DSLite
-BF2142 looks amazing. Too bad I don't like FPS nor PC games, but damn. :eek:
-Work Time Fun (WTF) looks pretty awesome, even if it's a Wario Ware ripoff.
-DSLite. DSLite. DSLite.
-I still haven't played Wii, I hope to do so tomorrow morning. If not, then I won't even bother with the RIDICULOUS lines to get to it.
-FMT, where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu? :lol
-
DSLite!

Whoa, whoa, whoa.....

....you went to E3 without me?! WTF man?!

Betrayed!

h1nch

I have a question regarding NCAA 07. How would one get a customized roster downloaded? I doubt EA or Microsoft will make an official one available (with real player names). Basically for 06 and previous games I just used an action replay connector to download rosters from the internet onto a memory card. AFAIK there isn't an action replay for the 360 yet. I hope there's an easy way to do this since an NCAA game without a roster full of real names is completely worthlesss.

Oh and glad to hear Madden Wii is turning out nicely

Zep

Banned
h1nch said:
I have a question regarding NCAA 07. How would one get a customized roster downloaded? I doubt EA or Microsoft will make an official one available (with real player names). Basically for 06 and previous games I just used an action replay connector to download rosters from the internet onto a memory card. AFAIK there isn't an action replay for the 360 yet. I hope there's an easy way to do this since an NCAA game without a roster full of real names is completely worthlesss.

Oh and glad to hear Madden Wii is turning out nicely

http://us.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=US&cr=&cs=&r=0&l=&p=8&i=8990&s=8

XSATA-Xbox-360.jpg

Pretty expensive.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Wellington said:
I am getting potentially 3 versions of Madden too now. :(

You know you've got a problem when...

Come on man, you aren't buying the same game three times are you? You don't have time to play three different maddens, save some cheddar.

2 versions max, one current gen, one next. You don't need three versions of Madden 07.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
oh man....PS2 Madden :/

FUCK THAT....I need wifi, I don't like playing on an old TV just because I have to wire up the PS2 :(

Miguel

Madden:
Mig vs Wellington on Xbox - Advantage Wellington, 1-0 (Mathis with 1KR TD)
Mig vs Wellington on PS2 (E3) - Tie, 1-1 (Mathis with 2 KR TDs)
Mig vs Wellington on PS2 (Hotel) - Mig 1-0

MLB 06 the Show
Mig vs Wellington (Hotel) - Wellington 1-0

Wiidden 07 ROCKS!

FMT, where are j00000000000000000000!

My next few purchases
-Madden 07 PS2
-Head Coach PC
-Wii
-Wiidden 07
-DS Lite
-Elite Beat Agents - DS
-New Super Mario Bros - DS
-Brain Training - DS
-Big Brain Academy - DS

I have to admit, I was pretty dubious about the controls of Madden for the Rev. For the most part I still am, such as doing the passing on very play, but the way the kicking game is described sounds pretty cool and fun. At least it adds some amount of skill to the kicking game.

I still say I wouldn't want to play Madden in this style over the long run, but I can at least see what they are trying to do with the kicking game and the Rev-mote.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Miguel said:
Madden:
Mig vs Wellington on Xbox - Advantage Wellington, 1-0 (Mathis with 1KR TD)
Mig vs Wellington on PS2 (E3) - Tie, 1-1 (Mathis with 2 KR TDs)
Mig vs Wellington on PS2 (Hotel) - Mig 1-0

MLB 06 the Show
Mig vs Wellington (Hotel) - Wellington 1-0

Wiidden 07 ROCKS!

FMT, where are j00000000000000000000!

My next few purchases
-Madden 07 PS2
-Head Coach PC
-Wii
-Wiidden 07
-DS Lite
-Elite Beat Agents - DS
-New Super Mario Bros - DS
-Brain Training - DS
-Big Brain Academy - DS

You asshole. :lol Had to post about Mathis! :(

WHy didn't you mention my AWESOME block that allowed me to score that TD. Earl the Pearl got OWNED ladies and gents. I called a goaline weakside pitch, mig called a goalline D. I pitched it out, but I was the FB. My boy Tiki runs out and... OH SHIT HERE COMES MIG!!! BAM! CK/Finn with the block, GIANTS WIN! THEEEEEE GIANTS WIN!

Run to daylight is going to be sexy.

Head Coach is so freaking awesome. Mig and I spent some time playing the game today. Did a couple of drafts. (Good trade logic wtf) :lol at the Lions drafting Chad Jackson and the Giants drafting Vince Young. I traded down twice with the Texans to the Jets spot, both times the Jets took Vernon Davis. :lol

SickBoy

Nice.

Wellington = E3 poster of the year. :)

I am getting a bit hyped about Wii, but a higher-than-expected price could change all that, temporarily :)

Fifty

From what you've played so far, which game do you think will be the official GAF madden game? (xbox/ps2 madden was last year) Obviously it depends on what people choose, but from what I've read it seems like the last-gen stuff is still superior gameplay-wise to the 360 version.

Miguel

Fifty: Well, for me, it'll likely be either the PS2 version or the Wiidden version. As far as Head coach, goes, I think it's probably best to get the PC version, since well, everyone has a PC, and it'd be great to get as many people as we could playing.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Wiiden is the real deal then it seems. There were so many skeptics that sports game would suffer the most in the translation to the wiimote-nunchuck combo...even I was a tad weary. Hopefully they implement the changes in the PS2 version to the Wii version also.

Top Bottom