• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone deal with bias/unfair treatment by a person above you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
3zrqie4.gif

Grym

Of course, I understand you being upset with that...but I think you should hold that grudge against a society which enforces such rigid gender norms, rather than an individual.

so...blame workplace gender discrimination on society rather than holding individuals in management sanctioning it accountable. okay

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This is a pretty straightforward account suicide and a clear breach of trust with besada who seemed to want to explain his thought processes as a moderator and how he finesses various subjects via some PMs.

That being said, it does highlight some issues the moderation team may have been having when dealing with minority groups on the site. NeoGAF is fairly homogeneous since it's a hardcore video game website, and there often isn't any sort of proportional representation of different voices (women, lgbtqixyz, etc.), and these sort of social issues are becoming a big deal in the video game scene at large lately, so the first instinct is to preserve what voices there are for those groups in the community so that discussions can be more balanced.

I've found that this can lead to some issues, though, because when you treat someone as protected, and they engage in heated discussions where a lot of people get banned, well, the protected person often turns into an asshole, because they know they can get away with it. That breeds resentment from everyone else who views it as unfair, and potentially resentment toward the group the protected person represents. That's not an ideal result to say the least.

I personally don't give a shit what anyone claims to be or actually is on the internet, and try to only look at their words and actions and whether that aligns with being a good fit for the site. You probably know by now that I step in and publicly take out anyone as necessary with no fucks given. My moderators usually make up for that by thinking things through and being a little more level headed, but I've reaffirmed to them today that being thoughtful and level-headed shouldn't extend to special treatment or protected groups existing. That's not the right way to foster a userbase that can maybe be more equipped than the Youtube comment pool at talking to people different from themselves.

Move along now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom