• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Welfare

First playthrough done! Finished with all abilities and 100% of the map unlocked, and I only died 334 times. Missed an Energy orb in Misty Woods, so I have to go for them all over again. Very fun game.
Screenshot-Original.png

jimboton

There were a few reasons for that... One, we had to make some tough design choices, take the Misty Woods as an example: The idea was that we give the player the feeling that he's lost in a forest that constantly changes around him. Now, after we designed the area, we knew there'd really be no proper way for the player to go back in and re-traverse the entire area, so we could have either not put any 'valuable' items in the area or assume that people are okay with playing through the game again.

Two, there are story-events happening in the game that sort of prevented us from having the player go back to a certain location... The Ginso Tree is flooded with water after Act1, so we dabbled with the idea of having the player being able to re-enter the now flooded Ginso Tree, but it also wasn't really designed for underwater gameplay and I always wanted to ensure that if a player has to re-traverse, the area should still contain enough interesting, new things for the player to discover... And we just didn't have the time to iterate over everything again after we wrapped the main designs.

Since a hell of a lot of people are still playing games like Super Metroid to this day, I thought it was an okay decision to make. I understand that a lot of people want to get absolutely everything on their first run, but Ori is designed in a similar way to Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, etc.: On your first run-through, it takes the average player 10-15 hours to complete the game. But when you're on your second run, you can probably cut that time down in half or even more, since you know exactly where to go. So really, I just didn't think it's that big of a deal if people have to play through it again, especially since it's super fun to play Ori :)

Having said that, we got a LOT of requests from players who want to be able to get absolutely 100% on their first run, so we might look into how we can accommodate you guys with future updates :)

I personally think you're right that people should be ready to work for their 100% including playing multiple times, but the decision to make 'secrets' appear on the map kind of goes against it in a way.

You end up knowing where everything is and can collect absolutely everything.. except that little bit of upgrade in the zone that you can get back to after a certain moment. So if completion and discovery is your aim you end up having to do a second playthrough that otherwise holds no other surprises whatsoever (an overzalous guidance system upgrade path made sure of that) just to fetch that one thing that you missed. I think that's a pity. I'd love for Ori to have had a 'secreter' tier of secrets and puzzles of which no indication of their location, nature, number or even existance were given. That way: surprises in every playthrough! :p

In any case, random question incomming, are you trying a Zelda style game next? right after your metroid one is a huge success?. Come on Thomas, you know you want to. To boldly go where Phil Fish didn't dare to go!

Some really weird progress bug came up, when I was climbing up for the first 4 keystone gate it suddenly teleports me right to the first cutscene which is right after the gate, you can see I have 3 keystones in my possession but the gate is locked and I'm on the other side.

Welfare

Some really weird progress bug came up, when I was climbing up for the first 4 keystone gate it suddenly teleports me right to the first cutscene which is right after the gate, you can see I have 3 keystones in my possession but the gate is locked and I'm on the other side.

Speedrun strats.

i agree that it's a bit counter-intuitive to lock off areas when the player discovers after completing them that they've missed stuff there. then there's no surprise when they're doing their second playthrough since they know where it is.

i'd honestly rather just have the option to replay a level. the game's certainly short enough to do a full playthrough, but i could do with a "mission select" that let's me just replay sorrow pass or ginso tree over and over. it wouldn't be as cohesive as going back through the area, but it'd probably be a little easier to build. although the narrative and abilities would still be a point of conflict as far as consistency goes.

In any case, random question incomming, are you trying a Zelda style game next? right after your metroid one is a huge success?. Come on Thomas, you know you want to. To boldly go where Phil Fish didn't dare to go!

One of the prototypes we're looking into would probably fall into that category... but I already said too much now :)

I'd love to work on something like that and I think we could do a kickass job on developing a game like that. If you vote with your dollars, we might just get a chance to do it :)

Thomas, you mentioned a while back that you guys got into debt to pay for the orchestra... I know you probably can't really say what happened but did they decide to pay you back or something?

I'll be honest and I say this from the position of having no idea how these contracts work so forgive me for my unqualified opinion but given Microsoft own the IP, I feel like they should be fully funding the project and considering how it has turned out (to be a great game) I find the idea that they weren't seemingly every part of the project to be baffling...

Thomas, you mentioned a while back that you guys got into debt to pay for the orchestra... I know you probably can't really say what happened but did they decide to pay you back or something?

I'll be honest and I say this from the position of having no idea how these contracts work so forgive me for my unqualified opinion but given Microsoft own the IP, I feel like they should be fully funding the project and considering how it has turned out (to be a great game) I find the idea that they weren't seemingly every part of the project to be baffling...

Well, MS has actually given us a budget extension on Ori, which they wouldn't have had to... But they understood that we had something good going and that it'd be worth it, I assume at least :)

We needed that extension to finish the project, but it didn't leave us enough for a promise we made to Gareth, our composer: To try our best to do an orchestral recording of the amazing soundtrack he created. So Gennadiy and I decided that we'd pay for it out of our own pockets.

I'm glad we did it. It definitely paid off and I'd gladly do it again. I'm actually already doing it again, but that's a different story ;)

jimboton

One of the prototypes we're looking into would probably fall into that category... but I already said too much now :)

I'd love to work on something like that and I think we could do a kickass job on developing a game like that. If you vote with your dollars, we might just get a chance to do it :)

Well I did my part! I think it would be great, good 2d Zelda-likes are even rarer than good 2d metroidvanias.

Do it! I would vote with my wallet. You've earned my trust!
As I said before in this thread, Ori brought me back to my roots as the best modern interpretation of an old school platformer. I would love to see Moon Studios take on a Zelda overhead.

Well, MS has actually given us a budget extension on Ori, which they wouldn't have had to... But they understood that we had something good going and that it'd be worth it, I assume at least :)

We needed that extension to finish the project, but it didn't leave us enough for a promise we made to Gareth, our composer: To try our best to do an orchestral recording of the amazing soundtrack he created. So Gennadiy and I decided that we'd pay for it out of our own pockets.

I'm glad we did it. It definitely paid off and I'd gladly do it again. I'm actually already doing it again, but that's a different story ;)

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated :) A different story?! DO TELL, you're such a tease!

Very, very good. He was able to keep the tempo perfect on his various recordings to blend them together seamlessly. I wish I had that kind of talent.

Business-wise, Ori was already profitable a week after release and Microsoft is super happy, so we'll see about Ori's future :)

That is AWESOME news! I wish we could get hard numbers on how many copies Ori sold digitally across both PC and Xbox. I'd love it if we found out it trounced the sales numbers of the majority of retail releases. Might clue other devs/pubs, especially on the retail side, that Quality > Quantity.

There were a few reasons for that... One, we had to make some tough design choices, take the Misty Woods as an example: The idea was that we give the player the feeling that he's lost in a forest that constantly changes around him. Now, after we designed the area, we knew there'd really be no proper way for the player to go back in and re-traverse the entire area, so we could have either not put any 'valuable' items in the area or assume that people are okay with playing through the game again.

Two, there are story-events happening in the game that sort of prevented us from having the player go back to a certain location... The Ginso Tree is flooded with water after Act1, so we dabbled with the idea of having the player being able to re-enter the now flooded Ginso Tree, but it also wasn't really designed for underwater gameplay and I always wanted to ensure that if a player has to re-traverse, the area should still contain enough interesting, new things for the player to discover... And we just didn't have the time to iterate over everything again after we wrapped the main designs.

Since a hell of a lot of people are still playing games like Super Metroid to this day, I thought it was an okay decision to make. I understand that a lot of people want to get absolutely everything on their first run, but Ori is designed in a similar way to Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, etc.: On your first run-through, it takes the average player 10-15 hours to complete the game. But when you're on your second run, you can probably cut that time down in half or even more, since you know exactly where to go. So really, I just didn't think it's that big of a deal if people have to play through it again, especially since it's super fun to play Ori :)

Having said that, we got a LOT of requests from players who want to be able to get absolutely 100% on their first run, so we might look into how we can accommodate you guys with future updates :)

Those are completely understandable reasons for locking out portions of the game. Considering you can actually do a 100% clear playthrough getting all the collectibles except a few ability cells (which aren't required for achievements) in less than 2 hours, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to assume people wouldn't mind a 2nd playthrough. I certainly didn't. I didn't mind the 20th playthrough either. :)

There's a third camp! Both the story and the gameplay were equally important. While I loved the gameplay, it wouldn't have been nearly as impactful during that virgin playthrough on day one without the touching story of redemption that you guys wove into the tight gameplay. My heart swelled. I'm still waiting for it to shrink back to its normal size. In the mean time I'm just loving everyone. :)

By the way, how does the "no death" achivement work? Does the game automatically save whenever you die or can you reset? Because if it does not save automatically, isn't it just more "work" for reloading the last savestate instead of retrying right away? I think there is no benefit in continuing after a death other than not having to restart from the title screen, is there?

The way the No Death achievement works is this:

On the pause screen there's a stat in the upper right that shows how many times you've respawned. This is basically the death tracker. If you die and you quit out to the main menu fast enough and reload your game, this will still say 0 and you're good to go. If you respawn before you manage to quit out, the death is permanent and you can't reverse it.

So you can use a combination of making a 'backup' save every so often as well as trying to quit out as fast as you can when you die to circumvent it. I'll admit I did this in my original 'no deaths' run for the achievement, and used it to 'reverse' around 10 or 12 deaths.

But since then my gaming honor, my love for Ori, and my competitive nature forced me to do a single-segment run where I managed to finish the game without any deaths (there were 6 or 7 completions with only ONE death prior to that.... imagine the frustration!). Good luck with your path, however you choose to do it. :)

It triggers when you finish Ori without dying once - Yes, you can cheese it by dabbling around with save states, but really, your gaming-honor should forbid that! :D

I wish I had forced myself to do it right the first time, but I redeemed myself yeah?

So on the map, there are Life Orbs, Blue Orbs, Abillity Orbs, and Yellow smudges. Are the yellow smudges needed for 100%?

Nevermind. Just checked.

If I have 100% in every location before I enter the Mountain, I'm good and won't have to worry about missing anything besides the stuff in the final area?

Just because you have 100% in every location doesn't mean you necessarily found everything. There's an Energy Cell in Ginso Tree, an Energy Cell in Misty Woods, and a Life Cell in forlorn ruins. The forlorn ruins one, specifically, is completely contained within a Secret Area so I don't think it counts toward 100% map completion. Not entirely sure about the other to. So, if you missed any of those 3 things you may get the 100% map exploration achievement, but you may miss out on either the life or energy cell achievements.

jb1234

As a musician, I want to thank you for doing this. The soundtrack is fantastic and having live players really makes all the difference in orchestral scores like this.

I beat the game tonight and admit to shedding a few tears at the ending. I want more! It was so good!

Wasn't the patch supposed to be releasing 'very soon' over a week ago? I bought this game at launch and then heard about the game breaking bugs that prevent progress and decided to wait for the patch and it's still not out.

This is beyond a joke, remind me never to buy yours or anybody else's game at release again.

mortis316uk

Neo Member
Yeah I'm kinda over the urge to play any more of this now since my progress got halted with the water glitch. I'd held off playing since the patch was "coming very soon" but it's been long enough that I'd probably have to go back and restart anyway now to get my skills back up to speed.

Twookie

Just finished the game. It's the best game I've played in quite some time, will probably be my GOTY too. There HAS to be a sequel coming out because this game is so damned good. The OST, art and gameplay is soooo fantastic.

I didn't experience any issues beyond my save didn't load once, which I fixed by restarting the game.

My only complaint would be that alt tabbing in this game makes it go windowed and there's no option to resize that window or have it borderless windowed so you practically have to play it in fullscreen.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question -

Can the controller vibration be completely turned off in Ori?

Ramirez

I finished this the other day, and honestly the only knock I have on it is the trial & error nature of the escapes. It felt really good to complete them, but the last one really got to me after I had to do all of it over & over until I figured the last section out.

Between Ori, Helldivers, & Bloodborne, it's been a hell of a year so far!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
So I started playing this game yesterday evening and I'm digging it so far. However, there is one thing that itches me the wrong way and I'm not sure if I missed it in the tutorial but is there a different way to get your energy (blue) restocked than geing back in the level and farming it on the crystals? I'm currently at a door for which I need 4 pieces of energy to open it and of course I have 0 at that point. So I just had to go aaaaallllll the way back to the damn crystals to restock and then of course had to be extra careful not to die on the way back because then I had to do it all over again.

Is this supposed to be played this way? I somehow find that hard to believe. But if yes, then man, that is VERY annoying.

Energy is also being dropped from enemies - and if you find that you don't have enough energy all the time, you can access the skilltree and get the skills that give you more energy whenever you find some in the world :)

Wow, what an incredible game. I didn't love it at first and thought "eh, it's pretty good but not great..." but I just played through that tree level, and said, "Goddam this game is great" when I beat it. One of the most pleasurable gaming experiences in quite a while,a nd the climax to that level is awesome.

EBreda

Just finished in 9h56m.

Great game. I'd say gameplay is almost perfect, or maybe it is perfect. The traversal options you end up with are incredible. I felt like a puppy ninja or something.

Anyway, story seemed so so, and it's pretty straight forward but I really don't get the way it was told. It seemed a lot of effort was spent on making the story be told in a different manner, but in the end it was a pretty simple one.

2 things I'd like to criticize though: you can't go back to 100% it after your done (but I guess that's being worked on) and the fact that the game is too easy.

I had heard there were instances where the platforming was hard (like throw your controller hard like Super meat Boy) but it was pretty easy overall. I'd say Rayman Legends had more difficult levels.

Anyway, beautiful game and worth every penny. Congratulations to Moon studios.

Izuna

Banned
Nah, you're not, you should be able to explore and go wherever you want. That particular issue you mentioned is fixed in the upcoming patch though :)

Oh for reals?

That makes me feel quite a bit better. Happy to save the next player from this frustrating and confusing issue.

Teggy

Something that I forgot to ask about when it happened - when I played the game while heading up towards the top of the map I fell through a solid floor that dropped me all the way down through the map into a room that had a power up in it and wall that needed to be broken with the last power you get. This was late in the game so luckily I had that power, but the fall seemed so weird how it wound up inside that room even though it looked like a terrible bug. Is this something anyone else has experienced?

Just a quick thing that made me happy:

naruPlushie.jpg

My girlfriend surprised me with a Naru Plushie yesterday :)

@prophecy0: Patch is coming!

@Teggy: Yes, it's a known, but very hard to reproduce bug. It's fixed in the upcoming patch, so not to worry :)

I wish I could finish this game, but after the water tree. When I go to swim I cant jump out of the water, seems like a common bug. Really don't feel like starting over again as I have alot of games on my plate right now.

Top Bottom