• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face off DmC X1 PS4. Where for art thou AF!

Skilletor

People keep saying this, but it extends across multiple developers, and, as we've seen with Strider, multiple engines. If it was a developer issue I think we'd also be seeing this on Xbox, but we're not. It's raising questions Sony should be addressing, and NOT by just saying "Oh it's the dev's fault"

Isn't Strider UE3? Isn't this game UE3? Wasn't Thief UE3?

Gbraga

I never said anything like what you characterize me as saying here though.

I also edited my post to add: We know the system is capable of good AF. We know that it isn't a problem for most games to achieve identical AF between platforms (whether that's good, bad or mediocre levels). So the question is: in the games that are inconsistent, why the difference?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're doing this, just that people doing this are very annoying and actually get in the way of finding out what's really happening just because of console wars or some stupidity like that.

this so shouldnt be an issue. and yet another capcom release to boot. are they leading on xbox and just not optimising at all on PS4?

It was done by Qloc, they're known for making fantastic ports.

It wasn't even originally developed by Capcom's internal team. I don't think the fact that Capcom published those games had any influence on this.

Muzicfreq

Banned
The human eye cannot see more than 2x AF. That's a proven fact.
477732175_229e08179a.jpg

I don't see more than 360p and only see bilinear filtering without my glasses.

The lack of AF lets the PS4 down, most of the image is smudge. I can't take the PS4 being included in the conclusion. I would go XBO and PC
kcBIjFY.jpg

Looks the same as last gen on PS4

uWidz4U.jpg

Looks worse than last gen, seems more than just AF in places

vOql7Q7.jpg

The carpet is low detail with the character right there,

9qjmk9F.jpg

Detail is robbed due to being darker, not sure if this is giving the impression of a sharper look

G3alhXA.jpg

This looks like some things were left out on PS4

I see character model clothing improved in some cases, it makes the game look sharper in some scenes, some extra blue lighting and extra glow. Some of the skys are blown out where all sky detail completely gone though.

That's fucking disgusting

4476f9df70.png

Journey

Banned
Yeah, the PS4 has over 450 games total and like 8 or so have AF problems.

So, less than 2% of PS4 games, which is too many.

Let's put it this way, number of games affected by jarring last gen levels of AF:

PS4: 8
XBO: 0

We want answers as to why this is happening, tis all.

Journey

Banned
Some textures indeed have very low AF. Some scenes fair better though. In any case, it's not really applicable to the issue being discussed in the thread.

Well then, what do you think about my theory that it has more to do with the type of engine/rending technique being employed?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, the PS4 has over 450 games total and like 8 or so have AF problems.

So, less than 2% of PS4 games, which is too many.
Wait, there's 450 games on PS4 right now? Are you sure about that?

Also, I do believe there are many more than eight titles with AF problems. Perhaps there are only a handful of titles where AF is better on XO than PS4 but I'd argue *MOST* PS4 titles have poor or simply mediocre AF.

Has this been the case with any new generation games?
Dying Light and Evolve, for two.

Seems like corners are being cut on PS4, its becoming quite common to see random low details. Think its was Evolve last time. Looks like "optimization" to me but don't know if its just directx conversion or some bandwidth issue.

I guess the conclusion is PS4 for comfy couch gaming and XBO,PC for those who sit a bit closer or hunched over a desktop. ;)

-griffy-

Banned
Let's put it this way, games affected by jarring last gen levels AF:

That's not really accurate. If you are saying "last gen" levels AF, it would look more like:

PS4:Most games on the platform
XBO:Most games on the platform

Most console games overall just have poor AF across the board.

The issue is games where XBO has better AF than PS4, and it's not entirely one-sided as there are a couple of PS4 games that have better AF than XBO (Tomb Raider DE and Sniper Elite V3 off the top of my head), but it's a much smaller number than XBO>PS4 at this point. It isn't about "last gen" levels of AF, it is the inconsistency between the platforms, especially when it defies logical explanation.

but I'd argue *MOST* PS4 titles have poor or simply mediocre AF.

I'd change that to "*MOST* console titles have poor or simply mediocre AF."

Well then, what do you think about my theory that it has more to do with the type of engine/rending technique being employed?

It's really hard to say. It's all speculation at this point. It sounds plausible since UE3 games in particular seem to be consistent with the problem. It feels like technical oversight makes sense to me, whether it's a missed tag when porting the engine to PS4 or what I have no idea, or the PS4-side breaking the AF implementation that works on other platforms and them just not catching it or bothering to figure out a fix, I don't know.

Majanew

Banned
Seems like corners are being cut on PS4, its becoming quite common to see random low details. Think its was Evolve last time. Looks like "optimization" to me but don't know if its just directx conversion or some bandwidth issue.

What was worse graphically with Evolve on PS4?

Pezus

Two (EDIT: Make that Three) Capcom published games in a row that are better on the weaker hardware.
lol
Hopefully they patch the AF, because holy shit does it make the textures look terrible on the PS4 version.
qmewOwf.png

The filtering makes the textures look worse than the last gen versions.

lol, forgot about REmake.

This is just inexcusable imo...

That's not really accurate. If you are saying "last gen" levels AF, it would look more like:

The issue is games where XBO has better AF than PS4, and it's not entirely one-sided as there are a couple of PS4 games that have better AF than XBO (Tomb Raider DE and Sniper Elite V3 off the top of my head), but it's a much smaller number than XBO>PS4 at this point. It isn't about "last gen" levels of AF, it is the inconsistency between the platforms, especially when it defies logical explanation.

I didn't even know that, that makes this whole situation even stranger.

What was worse graphically with Evolve on PS4?

It had noticably lower AF.
And a much worse draw distance.

dan2026

I don't understand why people are playing this down, or trying to say there isn't a problem.
Don't you want answers and better looking games?

Stormus

No one answered. Is this something that Sony/Capcom can go back and patch to fix the PS4 version? I really don't want to get the xbox version . . .

HUELEN10

No one answered. Is this something that Sony/Capcom can go back and patch to fix the PS4 version? I really don't want to get the xbox version . . .
You have the option and resources and consoles to pick the version you deem better, yet you don't want to?

What?

Journey

Banned

Is the AF issue lopsided like the images shown here, or are we talking slightly better AF cases on PS4? because so far when this isssue is brought up, the AF difference is pretty jarring and in cases WORSE than last gen, I believe we have zero cases like this on XBO where AF looks worse than last gen. Also, both having bad AF doesn't negate the fact that PS4 has several titles that have the problem whereas the XBO version doesn't, I think that's the key issue that raises eyebrows, why is this the case when the PS4 has a more powerful GPU?

mintylurb

Let's put it this way, games affected by jarring last gen levels AF:

You've got to put this issue into context. Besides, strider which really seems like an anomaly, other multi-platform games where x1 version had better AF, ps4 versions either had high resolution and/or better framerate, more effects, etc.

So, this really is the first game where the x1 version has the same resolution/framerate and better AF.
This is actually a big milestone as all the previous months of MS freeing up resources seems to be finally bearing fruit.
Last gen, I think it took more than 2 years before we saw a ps3 version that was better than a x360 version. X1 is closing the gap quicker. Kudos to MS.

I'm kinda new to this. I plan to get a PS4 sometime in the next 2 years, but have an Xbox One. I wonder if this gem will be like last for me, when despite being called the weaker console by some, most of the multiplats I am into might be best to get in the Xbox as opposed to Sony's machine.

This time around, the reverse is actually true. Most multiplats thus far have been considerably better on PS4 than on X1, including performance, IQ, resolution, etc. There have been a handful of multiplats that are better on X1, though.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The issue is when the Xbox One inexplicably has better AF then the PS4 version of a game, so it's only conceivably an issue with 3rd party games.

In a case like this though, you can point to the PS3 version as having better AF even. But you compare it to something like The Last of Us, a similar last-gen port, which clearly has better AF on PS4 than on PS3, while also updating to 1080p and 60fps, with increased character models and effects on top of that.
u8rwdQx.png

Ditto for Tomb Raider:DE. DMC just doesn't make sense. It has to be an oversight or something similar, because it doesn't make sense.

Its examples like this and The Unfinished Swan that makes all this so strange.

The difference is notable, but not massively important in general living room conditions, where you're seated two or three metres from the screen.

I understand this reference.

And I want the lack of AF to continue because it's the funniest thing to happen to the console warrior exchange ever.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Two (EDIT: Make that Three) Capcom published games in a row that are better on the weaker hardware.
lol
Hopefully they patch the AF, because holy shit does it make the textures look terrible on the PS4 version.
qmewOwf.png

The filtering makes the textures look worse than the last gen versions.

lol, forgot about REmake.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck ..

That's atrocious.

Let's put it this way, number of games affected by jarring last gen levels of AF:

Last gen? Last gen was fine in comparison.

As an artist, this is horrible to look at. I wouldn't be happy with any textures I'd worked on reduced to a shitty smear.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
This is just pathetic. AF is one of the cheapest (performance-wise) and most noticeable graphical enhancements you can get. I've been using it since the days of Unreal Tournament 2004 on my Radeon 9600. PS4's GPU is probably 40X as powerful.

mintylurb

I understand this reference.

And I want the lack of AF to continue because it's the funniest thing to happen to the console warrior exchange ever.

NT should've opted to have tearing more visible for the ps4 version to distract the players from noticing the horrible AF.

darkwing

This is just pathetic. AF is one of the cheapest (performance-wise) and most noticeable graphical enhancements you can get. I've been using it since the days of Unreal Tournament 2004 on my Radeon 9600. PS4's GPU is probably 40X as powerful.

obviously it's not being enabled by default by reasons someone has to explain

Top Bottom