• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rondo of Blood on Wii?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Or are Hucards the only format announced for TG16 stuff? I never did play Lords/Gate of Thunder, so is this gonna happen?

Also, what exactly is the disk format Nintendo will be using for Wii games? Still unknown?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
in the other recent Hudson/Wii thread, someone said a famitsu article mentioned TG-CD games as a possibility.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't think they've said anything one way or the other yet.

The SuperCD games are where most of the PC-Engine's best games are, so I certainly hope they do it. Although they'd have to go to a bit more effort mp3'ing the audio-tracks to turn them into reasonable sized downloads. Because of that I'm not expecting anything :(

It would be great if you could just stick the CD's in and play em, but I'm not expecting that either.

And apparently Hudson America is doing their damnednest to get Rondo of Blood on US Wiis.

PS: They've confirmed the regular CD games (not the Super CD, like Rondo of Blood and all the later CD releases.) for PC Engine.

ghibli99

Brandon F said:
Or are Hucards the only format announced for TG16 stuff? I never did play Lords/Gate of Thunder, so is this gonna happen?
That's a good question, and was thinking the same thing myself. There are lots of Sega CD titles I wouldn't mind seeing on the VC as well, but I'm guessing storage space would become an issue fast if you had a couple games that were 1-600MB a piece (unless as Nash said, they compress the music like modern emus).

Brandon F said:
Also, what exactly is the disk format Nintendo will be using for Wii games? Still unknown?
Hopefully DVD for development's sake, but don't quote me. Final media will likely be something proprietary from Nintendo.

jluedtke

Well, they recently said 100+ games for Virtual Console, so I would assume that includes CD stuff (Gate/Lords of Thunder). However, since Rondo of Blood is a Konami title, they'd have to get Konami on board.

jarrod

Banned
Stolen from Gamasutra... part of a Q&A with Hudson Entertainment's John Lee...

GS: Now that you're mostly owned by Konami, does that mean it will be easier to get games like Dracula X? And would you translate it for the US market?

JL: It was considered one of the best games on the system… that's a really good question, and it's basically going to come down to what people want on the system. With third-party publishers, we’re asking what they want to see, what they'd really like to get out there. Will we translate it? Good question. We're launching in different companies.

The platform will be the same, but the question is if we can take the time to work on these games. We don't have the code for a lot of these games, and it's all done through emulation. What we may do if it's not possible to localize is we may bring Japanese games out just in Japan.

GS: So you'll bring different games out in different territories?

JL: It depends, because the PC Engine had a lot more games than there were on the Turbo Grafx in the US. So there may be more out in Japan.

GS: It's actually pretty easy to patch the CD titles without having the code, but I don't know if that's a route you'd want to take.

JL: Well we only just announced that we'd be doing CD titles. In the past it was assumed it'd just be cartridge stuff. It's all downloaded, so you don't want people to wait for a 600 meg game to download. But now that they've announced the sleep mode, stuff can be downloading while you're not there, so there are ways to get those bigger files. It's a really great system.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Konami and Hudson are under the same parent company, or Konami is the parent company... that was mentioned in the other thread too.

Ristamar

Brandon F said:

IGN said:
We've also been able to unearth firm details on the storage capacity for Revolution discs. Recent rumors suggesting that the discs can hold 12GBs of data are false. In fact, Revolution discs can store 4.7GBs of data on a single layer or 8.5GBs when double-layered on a single-side. This is a massive jump from the 1.5GB capacity of GameCube discs and more than enough storage capacity for any non-high-definition game.
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/673/673799p1.html

temp

posting on contract only
jluedtke said:
Well, they recently said 100+ games for Virtual Console, so I would assume that includes CD stuff (Gate/Lords of Thunder). However, since Rondo of Blood is a Konami title, they'd have to get Konami on board.
Isn't Hudson partly-owned by Konami?

Edit: Yeah, thought so.

radcliff

jluedtke said:

Konami owns Hudson, so it shouldn't be too difficult seeing how if Konami didn't want to be on Wii's VC, they probably wouldn't ley Hudson be on there either.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
of all the holy artifacts of game collecting, i think rondo of blood is the best game -- i'm sure it'd stand up to the scrutiny of everyone playing it, and a rerelease is long overdue.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I asked the rep demoing the Virtual Console a bunch of questions and he was absolutely clueless. Seriously you could have asked him "So will I be able to download PlayStation games on this" and he would be like "We're not sure at this time". Asked him of course if Dracula X was coming, "We're not sure at this time", asked him about filtering modes, "We're not sure at this time", the only thing he seemed to tell me is that the classic controller you have to buy separately because "not everyone has broadband and thus won't be able to download on the Virtual Console, and we don't want customers to pay for something they can't use".

here's a dumb question... Wii has 512 MB of flash RAM.. so you'd have to use external storage for this correct? a USB HD for instance? I am surprised they aren't limiting the file sizes like Microsoft is...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
godofcookery said:
here's a dumb question... Wii has 512 MB of flash RAM.. so you'd have to use external storage for this correct? a USB HD for instance? I am surprised they aren't limiting the file sizes like Microsoft is...

You can expand it with an SD-RAM card, and I think they've said you can use external storage using the USB ports as well.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
drohne said:
of all the holy artifacts of game collecting, i think rondo of blood is the best game -- i'm sure it'd stand up to the scrutiny of everyone playing it, and a rerelease is long overdue.
I agree. When I finally played through it a couple years ago, I was suprised at how GOOD it actually is. My favorite traditional CV title, hands down.

ghibli99

djtiesto said:
I asked the rep demoing the Virtual Console a bunch of questions and he was absolutely clueless. Seriously you could have asked him "So will I be able to download PlayStation games on this" and he would be like "We're not sure at this time". Asked him of course if Dracula X was coming, "We're not sure at this time", asked him about filtering modes, "We're not sure at this time", the only thing he seemed to tell me is that the classic controller you have to buy separately because "not everyone has broadband and thus won't be able to download on the Virtual Console, and we don't want customers to pay for something they can't use".
FYI, most people working at E3 are told to keep things general/vague on purpose, and are given canned talking points to pass on to showgoers. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're clueless. The moment you get into specifics, your words tend to get printed, and that's when you get in trouble, if you give false or misleading information. Can you imagine if the guy had said, "Dracula X? Sure!" and it ended up in print?

jluedtke

radcliff said:
Konami owns Hudson, so it shouldn't be too difficult seeing how if Konami didn't want to be on Wii's VC, they probably wouldn't ley Hudson be on there either.

Heh, good point. :lol I can't believe I forgot about that. Good call.

It'd be awesome to get RoB on Wii to bring down the outrageous prices it goes for nowadays.

Brandon F

Joseph Merrick said:
rondo is easily the best castlevania ever. can't not be included in the virtual console

Yea, my first true exposure came last summer with PSP homebrew, kinda janky emulation at the time, but it delivered most everything I once loved about CV3 without the checkpoint frustration, and near unbearable lategame cheese. Just a well produced and polished action platformer even a decade later.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
It's all downloaded, so you don't want people to wait for a 600 meg game to download. But now that they've announced the sleep mode, stuff can be downloading while you're not there, so there are ways to get those bigger files. It's a really great system.

Nintendo better release some external harddrives.

I remember a day when I was obsessed with finding this game online. I could never find the correct version of the one file I needed though to make it all work. I thoroughly enjoyed the SNES game even though it's cheapness is nearly unparalleled (I can picture the director walking around watching people work on the level designs and going "put a bat-a aright hee-ah!).

Anyway, this game is a must for VC and WiiConnect 24 (I love saying that) is awesome for making it possible. With the music in mp3 form, it shouldn't even be too bad. And that soundtrack is one of my all time favorites (if it wasn't for the beginning riff of stage one hooking me from the start, I probably wouldn't have had the patience). So yeah, I don't see Konami posing too much of a problem. Please make it happen!

Brandon F

It took all of 20 minutes to convert the music to MP3 form for the PSP. Whatever wizards in charge of handling this stuff should have an easier time re-building the game as a small download.

So many great CD games I'd love to try/revisit too. Beyond Shadowgate, the Exiles, Dragon Slayer, Rayzanber, Spriggan, Cosmic Fantasy, etc...

M3wThr33

Banned
ghibli99 said:
FYI, most people working at E3 are told to keep things general/vague on purpose, and are given canned talking points to pass on to showgoers. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're clueless. The moment you get into specifics, your words tend to get printed, and that's when you get in trouble, if you give false or misleading information. Can you imagine if the guy had said, "Dracula X? Sure!" and it ended up in print?
My friend found a pamphlet for the WB games. It was confidential and somehow someone lost their's. It talked about how to answer key questions about the DC Heroes game.

IF they can get Rondo of Blood, well, they can also get...
snatcher_pccd_jap.jpg

I'd say its just as likely.

MrNibbles

Banned
When Nintendo and third parties see the $$$ coming in from old games, you can expect to see just about every major game possible.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Didn't Igarashi say a while back that the original source files for the game had been lost, which was preventing Rondo from being released as part of the Castlevania Chronicles series? I know it certainly wouldn't be the only game to fail to make it to the U.S. due to the original code vanishing.

Still, I imagine IGA would like to see Rondo make it to the U.S. just so people would stop bugging him about it. At E3 I asked him if he'd considered creating an old-school CV game with more linear stages, citing Rondo as an example of how good that kind of game can be -- which prompted him to go off on an exasperated and completely unrelated tangent for a few minutes about how he knows there's lots of demand for Rondo and he's very conscious of its absence in the U.S. :lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ToastyFrog said:
Didn't Igarashi say a while back that the original source files for the game had been lost, which was preventing Rondo from being released as part of the Castlevania Chronicles series? I know it certainly wouldn't be the only game to fail to make it to the U.S. due to the original code vanishing.

i haven't heard that, but no, it wouldn't be the first case of developers mishandling a classic's source code. the miserable gba version of r type III? irem lost the source, and the developers of the port had to work backwards from an snes rom. they ripped the sprites the same way i would if i wanted a sweet r9 avatar. :/

i would think that the virtual console is all emulation, though -- in which case they wouldn't need the source code.

I've heard the only reason we're not seeing PSP ports of some pretty high-profile PS1 games is because they don't have the source anymore.

But yeah. You know what? If I can have Rondo of Blood on my PSP taking up like 100 meg, whatever. It can be on VC.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Megaman I-V on GB classic = Source code lost.

thus

GBA Megaman Anniversary Collection = vaporware

ToastyFrog said:

yeah that's what theyre saying and why it might only be released on the VC in Japan (but didnt nintendo say you could download games from any region)

anyway it shouldn't matter because there are ways of patching rom files and really all they have to do is get a hold of a copy of the game (seriously if konami needs this I could lend them mine ) copy its contents to a computer and patch the english translation into the game

Ive seen it done for a ton of older rom games, mostly RPGs that never made it to the US

So the short of it is they have no excuse to not give us Rondo of Blood here in the US on the VC

Top Bottom