• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DA:Inquisition, so long it feels like a chore

lmbotiva

So, after I finished some of the games on my backlog i started playing this game, really fun, like the story, have put 75 hours in to it and have not beat the game yet, to be honest im completing an area first and then moving to the next but still this game is so big i think is the first time i said to myself i really wish it didnt have so much content, it's crazy big, it now feels like a second job and to my sadness i feel bored of the game already and i still have so much to do, the game also have some technical problems at least in the sound department, some times the sound has a 2 to 3 second delay, so GAF, did you guys completed the game? What was your opinion on the length?

If you're bored with the side missions I would suggest skipping the fetch-questy ones and just doing the companion relevant ones (as they have story aspects)

The main story isn't actually all that long. At about the 40 hour mark I felt ready to end it so I just played the main missions only from that point.

Stevey

I played it for like 60 hours then just lost interest and did nothing but the main quest to get it finished.
Shame really, because it could have been great.

Conezays

I kind of reached that point about 20 hours in. Haven't felt hugely compelled to return it when there are a slew of other games occupying my attention. Glad lots of others enjoyed it, but I found it had one (hundreds? :p) too many side-quests which dragged down the game's enjoyment.

Overside

Banned
Thats not because of its length, its because its content wasnt engaging enough to last the amount of time you spent with the game.

Slashing the length of the game is only one solution to that problem, and not the one I would suggest at that.

Omadahl

Banned
Pretty much felt the same way. I reached 60 hours and the game felt like a chore. I killed the dragons, powered through to the ending and was left with no desire to go back. It's too bad because I was really psyched for it too. Probably the first game I've preordered in five years.

50 hours in and i'm loving it, will definitely try to do most stuff or at least hunt all the dragons after finishing the main quest

currently working through the hissing wastes

BouncyFrag

Its one of the few Bioware games that I probably won't replay. If we get some decent story dlc I'll give it another go.

It's definitely light on story based quests, but I still fucking love it. I'm 60 hours in and still plan to finish as much as I can by the end.

Ellite25

I played it once for a couple hours, already had like 10+ quests already and just said this is too much. Haven't played it since.

I got about 25 hours in just by sheer fondness for the world and exploring But then the boring combat and suuuuper tedious quests got the better of me. Such a waste of truly well made worlds.

Betty

Banned
At around 40 hours I just said screw it and focused on story missions, no way was I going to go after all those hidden tablets or complete every damn side quest in the game.

Z3M0G

Ive played 23ish hours so far and did nothing but side fetch quests so far... bored me out of it.

When i return to the game, im gonna just do the story going forward.

Im worried ill have same gripes with ffXV and Xenoblade X...

Omadahl

Banned
If you're bored with the side missions I would suggest skipping the fetch-questy ones and just doing the companion relevant ones (as they have story aspects)

The main story isn't actually all that long. At about the 40 hour mark I felt ready to end it so I just played the main missions only from that point.

Absolutely. The companion quests felt worthwhile and fleshed them out well. The rest was a single player mmo with a ton of money/time sinks.

Sanctuary

As a completionist the game was a nightmare. So much so that I just said "fuck this" and started ignoring every non region specific side quest and I also ended up quitting with only two story mission chapters left. I've been meaning to at least finish the game, but I just can't muster enough will to do so.

I haven't played the game yet, but have a question for you who got bored with it: Are there any cool, long, secret, uber-difficult sidequests in this game?

I can't remember much about the original DA, but I believe there were at least one or two that fit that description, and resulted in some crazy dragon / lich / other crazy hard fight with an enemy. Seems like if there are some sidequests like this, they would be worth doing.

Buburibon

It took me between 50-60h to complete my first playthrough. I used side quests strictly as a way to level-up for main quests. Once I reached about the maximum recommended level for the last 3 or 4 story missions, I never completed a side quest again. My only issue with DA:I was that cutscenes were animated at 30fps. Other than that, I had a great time with it. and can't wait for a sequel.

Kinyou

I think it would feel more rewarding if it was just more than fetch quests in those areas. There are barely any sidequests that tell stories by themselves and the gameplay hardly ever varies from "collect this" or "kill these guys".

I haven't played the game yet, but have a question for you who got bored with it: Are there any cool, long, secret, uber-difficult sidequests in this game?

I can't remember much about the original DA, but I believe there were at least one or two that fit that description, and resulted in some crazy dragon / lich / other crazy hard fight with an enemy. Seems like if there are some sidequests like this, they would be worth doing.
I guess the dragons somewhat fall into that category. They're entirely optional to fight. Though afaik are they rarely tied to quests.

Stevey

Not that I came across.

Zareka

Just do the main quests and companion quests. The rest is filler garbage and the game only ends up being about 40 hours, which a a great length.

Varna

I have a good 70 hours on my current game but I'm not sure when I will actually get around to finishing it. Not feeling very motivated at the moment.

I don't mind the content or the length but I've hit the points were I'm basically just steamrolling everything and I don't have much more I can do with my current build (Assassin on nightmare). Wish there was a higher difficulty mode that cut resources and XP to 1/3 the normal rate so I at least would feel like I am accomplishing something.

_woLf

55 hours in and I haven't even scratched the surface of act 2's main quests.

I'm still loving exploring every area and completing every single quest. To each their own, I guess.

It took me about 125 hours to finish. The last 40 was like a job at times.

I really enjoyed it overall, but cut the the filler next time Bioware.

I enjoyed the game a lot more after I stopped worrying about completing every side quest in an area, and rather only finished ones that I wanted to for one reason or another (character friendship-dependant ones, ones for achievements, etc) unless I needed extra power to move onto a new story mission, or needed to level up because that trebuchet mission is practically impossible on Nightmare difficulty.

I'm on my second playthrough now, and I remember thinking "Why am I still playing this game, this is just like filling out a grocery list and walking around a lot" when I was going through the Hinterlands in my first playthrough and collecting every single little thing. Now that I stopped doing that in my second playthrough I rarely do that as much, and it's a lot more fun because of it!

That being said, it's pretty impressive that the game still keeps my interest considering everything I said above, and I think it's a testament to the characters and how real the world seems. I do get sick of the mono-colored levels (Western Approach, snow areas) much faster than ones like the Hinterlands though, and whoever thought levels like the Forbidden Oasis where you have to do some platforming was a good idea should probably rethink that decision next time.

So I wouldn't say the length is the problem really, just that there's not a compelling reason to do a lot of the stuff you can do. I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne and out of the games I got (for free or on sale, TLoU, Rayman Legends, SoM, the past two month's PS+ games) it's tied with Legends as my favorite, and it's definitely the one I've spent the most time with.

Is the Templar variant of the first big story mission any interesting? I think the two stand-outs were the time travel mission and the whole Orlesian thing just because they seemed so different. Being in the fade wasn't that cool and the Elvish stuff had some cool story material but wasn't all that interesting. That's it for the big story quests right?

I will say though that the whole idea of
Skyhold
is really great, and as a newcomer to the series I'm legitimately excited where they go next. (
I mean you just basically became a King and killed Satan right? I know they set up a lot of compelling leads, but how do you beat that?
)

I think I spent like 60 (or so) hours playing DAI. After the first twenty hours the open world stuff wore thin. By the thirty hour mark I stopped visiting new areas unless required to. By fourty I stopped bothering with any completionist junk. By fifty I was entirely focused on finishing the game and it was really becoming a drag (those final story missions didn't help things, either). With the amount of legitimately good content in DAI, it would've been a better 20-30 hour game.

A while ago, I saw someone post that DAI is, like, 80/20 filler-to-critical content, and in my playthrough that'd be accurate. Exploring can be fun, the combat can be OK, the quests themselves aren't even that horrible because they're all so easily ignorable, but I absolutely cannot forgive how meaningless (or entirely absent) the dialog, choice, and roleplaying elements are in that 80% of the game; for that portion it might as well be an MMO like TOR rather than a true Bioware RPG. When vanilla Skyrim has more consequence in its open world, Bioware should know something went terribly wrong.

If Bioware manages to flesh out the filler content somehow, through free patches or even an expansion, then DAI might actually become a really good game. After all, DAI's core concept; that of a massively replayable, hugely open world, could work really well... but only if they actually remember to put in their trademark style of content as well as the more generic, repeatable stuff.

Ushay

Played it on Nightmare to keep me on my toes, completed my play through at just over 100 hours. Enjoyed every bit of it.

Great game. Hopefully they further refine the experience in the next DLC/sequel. Honestly I'm one of those people that likes to take his time with games and absorb the experience, of course I enjoy shorter faster paced games, but less so.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yup. Inquisition was one of the most boring game I've played in 2014, not even focusing on the main quests like what people suggested helped because the even the story bored me to tears. the soulless empty map didn't make me feel like exploring the world and the combat system is not engaging and we you combine with bad useless sidequest and generic story and bland hero and cast you end with this, how can an RPG fail at good side quest and interesting map? really one of the worst WRPG I played in 2014 next to Bound by Flame(well at least BbF was short).

Jon Armdog

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I can see why someone would dislike the MMO-style side quests. As others have mentioned, if you don't like that sort of thing, its easily to skip the repetitive stuff.

I love the game, but do wish there was MORE combat overall, and that was a bit more challenging. I rarely play games on anything other than Normal Mode, but I actually had to switch DAI to Hard. Actually, I just wish it was like Dragons Dogma. Dragons Dogmas combat, with Inquisitions characters? Perfect game to me.

DA: I can feel like a chore if you make the mistake of staying too long in the hinterlands and storm coast.

Played 101 hours and it didn't feel like a chore because i was only doing things that were intresting to me .

I wasn't looking for something because of a quest .... i was wandering to explore freely that's how those areaas must be played..not because the game give you some fetch quest to complete.

iNvid02

~90 hours, a few of those felt like a drag because i didnt know what i was doing. thoroughly enjoyed the rest though

DA: I can feel like a chore if you make the mistake of staying too long in the hinterlands and storm coast.

Played 101 hours and it didn't feel like a chore because i was only doing things that were intresting to me .

I wasn't looking for something because of a quest .... i was wandering to explore freely that's how those areaas must be played..not because the game give you some fetch quest to complete.

The problem with this approach is that, though the appearance changes, the things you're doing remain the same.

Was feeling the same way, but
going into the future / Haven being destroyed
has me fully invested now.
I felt the same way at the time. But, looking back, that was the best part of the game. It's all downhill from there.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I really tried to like it but had to drop it. After hours I realized I wasn't having much fun with the mechanics and with the story/characters. And yes, I did skip most of the sidequests and just did what I thought would be interesting. I guess boring is a good way to define it. I can see why people enjoy the game but whenever I sat down to play it I'd end up feeling like I'd rather be doing something else.

Bixlow

Neo Member
I usually enjoy Dragon Age games but this one felt like a chore just to complete honestly. Each area had mindless fetch and collect quests and the game gate you from moving on further if you didn't complete a certain number of them.

The problem with this approach is that, though the appearance changes, the things you're doing remain the same.

Yeah but the thread title is " feel like a chore"

My answer is either :
-Explore the world at your own pace
-Don't abuse the fetch quests.
-Don't stay too long in the first 2 areas.

It doesn't matter if i'm doing the same things, the change is how , as a player i feel like when i'm playing.

I wasn't bored. i played like a wanted , at my own pace , ended with 215 power and loved every second of it.

This is one game where I wish I had a filler list before starting. Like the same kind of list used for shows that have a large amount of episodes of no consequence so you can skip through it to the stuff that's actually engaging beyond the minimal level.

Most disappointing aspect of this was that even the Companion quests were infected by this kind of design which I wasn't expecting at all.

Yeah but the thread title is " feel like a chore"

My answer is either :
-Explore the world at your own pace
-Don't abuse the fetch quests.
-Don't stay too long in the first 2 areas.

It doesn't matter if i'm doing the same things, the change is how , as a player i feel like when i'm playing.

I wasn't bored. i played like a wanted , at my own pace , ended with 215 power and loved every second of it.

I think a major problem with this is that most of the more interesting missions (keep sieges and all that) aren't possible or aren't really possible (dragon hunting) until after what I would argue is the hardest mission in the game, so you need to do some of the more boring side quests the one time you really need to level up.

antitrop

Inquisition is the longest game I've ever played that doesn't actually have anything interesting for the player to do.

Just go collect more fucking Shards, because "content".

By time I got to a real mission, I had already forgot what was gong on in the story.

Philippo

Played for about 80hrs, but could have easily been halved, just like Skyrim.

What makes me angry is that they made these beautiful areas and then barely any story quest is set there, it's like they're just there for (sub-par) side content. What a waste.

Top Bottom