• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock is still so good

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Amazing game but Prey did the whole 'immersive-sim, System Shock spiritual successor' a lot better in my opinion.
Okay but answer me this question then: if everyone always says how good Prey is, then why am I such a piece of shit who still hasn’t even tried it?

I really need to get through my backlog someday 😭

Senua

For only $399 you can join this generation too.
I'm good with my 16gb PC thanks, gonna play the first Unreal game but I'm worried the volumetric lighting might be too much for it.

Did you know Bioshock runs on Unreal 2.5? God dayum

S0ULZB0URNE

I'm good with my 16gb PC thanks, gonna play the first Unreal game but I'm worried the volumetric lighting might be too much for it.

Did you know Bioshock runs on Unreal 2.5? God dayum
That's why it's hard to take anything you post serious.
One platform gamers should stay in there lane with such talk.

Infinite is Unreal 3 engine.
But either way you will be fine running both engines.

Senua

That's why it's hard to take anything you post serious.
One platform gamers should stay in there lane with such talk.

Infinite is Unreal 3 engine.
But either way you will be fine running both engines.
I don't know, I hit my ram limit trying to boot up System Shock 2, so I'm worried a game on UE3 might leave permanent damage.

Hunter 99

I remember playing the demo before release and thinking wow...this game is right up my street.the story and atmosphere were amazing and when you leave the sea after the crash and you have no idea your about to explore this underwater city was mind blowin.I was 17 at the time and was like I'm buying this 1st day.
Definitely in my top 50 games of all time!

I really like the games. Back on the 360 playing the first one was probably the most immersive, atmospheric game I had played since the Metroid Prime games.

I rented the second one but thought it was too similar to the first and didn’t finish it.

I was super hyped for Infinite because it had a different setting but similar premise, and seemed to be moving the series in a “anthology” sort of direction where sequels would share similar themes but different stories/settings. But it didn’t really because it shoehorned in connecting to Rapture and everything. I loved the game on release.

I replayed them last year (in 4K/60 on the SeX) and ended up changing my mind a bit. The first one I’ll always love (even though it turns into a bit of a slog after killing Ryan).

The second one I ended up liking much more and finishing. Having guns and plasmids always at the ready is really the logical gameplay improvement of the series, and I think it refined the gameplay loop of little sister-big daddy fights introduced in the first. The arsenal available is fantastic, the controls feel more fluid, and the DLC is great too.

Infinite I didn’t finish my replay of. There’s things in retrospect that make it harder to enjoy. The whole being able to only carry two guns thing is just stupid; and followed the Halo/COD model for no real good reason.

That also in turn made the upgrade system worse, because you can upgrade guns but that means you’re going to be sticking with your favorites until you need a rocket launcher or something. Kinda defeats the purpose of experimenting with different weapons.

The plot was just kinda nonsensical, and it did two tropes that were a bit novel at the time, but helped kick them off and become trite today. That being the annoyingly quippy sidekick character, and multiverse nonsense. The constant timeline shifts make it hard to care about anything happening, and the ending makes no sense if you think about at all.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What ever happened to Ken Levine anyway? I remember him announcing an indie project on a stage somewhere like 10 years ago then never heard anything about him again. Guy went out sad after a legendary career.

247092-header.jpg

bender

What time is it?
It's too bad it ends on a little of a sour note with that terrible last boss. I never put much time into the sequel even though I really want to see what all the fuss is about related to the DLC. I hated infinite. Trying to bring more modern shooter sensibilities into and not really succeeding combined with every encounter being two to three times the length they should be just made playing it a chore.

Kdad

I played it when it came out...I was 40...enjoyed it and beat it. Still remember the opening.
Tried again just recently...oh my time can do a number you ya. Still love the look and themes but I can't play it worth shit anymore lol.
Back to Stronghold I go.

Ogbert

Counterpoint: it wasn't even that good when it was brand new. I never liked.
Poor mechanics. poor gunplay, hamfisted "morality system", mediocre level design.
A massive disappointment as the alleged spiritual successor of System Shock.

Arkane's Prey is in many ways everything I hoped Bioshock to be, except in its "done right" version.
Counter counter point: system shock was never that good. Fun first 30 minutes but then a convoluted, poorly
structured mess.

Bioshock took the same narrative idea and placed it in one of the most memorable video game worlds ever created, with better visuals, music and gameplay.

Sentenza

Counter counter point: system shock was never that good. Fun first 30 minutes but then a convoluted, poorly
structured mess.
You are tripping.

Bioshock took the same narrative idea and placed it in one of the most memorable video game worlds ever created, with better visuals, music and gameplay.
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Great game. Loved it back in the days. Tried to replay it recently. Can't do it. Know the game inside out and, for me, simply too much of the game is depending on exploring. Would love a new one. Almost every immersive sim I played since has been 10/10 for me. BioShock, Prey, System Shock 2, System Shock Remake. Prolly my favourite genre. Shame no one else plays it.

TastyPastry

i miss rapture and it's whole art deco arstyle so much. such a cool setting for game. i wonder if we'll ever get another game in the rapture setting. my dream would be able to walk around in a VR open world rapture.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Tried getting through it a couple times, never beat it cuz I always lose interest. Its just a simplified system shock 2 meant to accommodate a 360 controller. Prey 2017 did a better job at iterating on system shock 2 in my opinion

I did beat 2 and Infinite. Minerva’s Den was good! Infinite not so much, but it gave us Elizabeth so…

LordOfChaos

Loved 1, I did love the story for Infinite but replaying it was a lot of defend the area sections that got boring, still love it though overall. 2 didn't make an impact. The two DLCs for Infinite were great, Burial at Sea episode 2's ending was so good, got emotional seeing the Irrational Games logo come up for the last time.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I just played through bioshock Infinite Dlcs last year. I had heard that they were good, but I had no idea that you end up in Rapture again, which I thought was great. I also just realized that I never played through Bioshock 2.

Counterpoint: it wasn't even that good when it was brand new. I never liked.
Poor mechanics. poor gunplay, hamfisted "morality system", mediocre level design.
A massive disappointment as the alleged spiritual successor of System Shock.

Arkane's Prey is in many ways everything I hoped Bioshock to be, except in its "done right" version.
I literally thought the exact same shit.

Top Bottom