• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The biggest mystery in Alien: Isolation.

Mucudadada

Insomniac Games
1910448-yoshi_egg_yoshi_render.png

CTLance

Actually, that's something I was curious about as well. Kind of a shame we didn't see the queen - but then again, after the catapult ending in the last game (which shall not be named) it's probably for the better.

GothPunk

Watch the deleted scenes from Alien and get back to us.

Originally the Alien was able to cocoon and mutate hosts into eggs, but Aliens added the concept of a Queen.

A dev mentioned it in an interview.

“We wanted to imply that a Queen was on board but it didn’t feel like facing off against a boss Alien Queen was very… “Alien”. We were caught in a riddle of, “If we show an Alien Queen, the player will expect to fight her” and “If we don’t show her, people will ask where the eggs come from”. In the end we figured it was best to preserve the suspense and mystery by not explicitly showing her.”

Salsa

Xenomorphs can make a cocoon out of a human body and turn them into an egg that hatches a facehugger

considering the game takes place before Aliens; fuck the queen this is now the canon shut up

Neiteio

The devs confirmed it was a queen, but it would've been cool to catch a glimpse of it, maybe when you're rising back out of the reactor core.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Didn't CA state there was a Queen in Sevestapol but Amanda never encounters it? I want to say they did.

I'm almost done with the game BTW

Neiteio

It would've been cool to get at least a glimpse of the queen. Hope we get a sequel!
I remember reading you can hear it at points, I think when you're descending into the reactor. It has a very shrill and distinctive cry, probably lifted straight from the movie.

A dev mentioned it in an interview.

“We wanted to imply that a Queen was on board but it didn’t feel like facing off against a boss Alien Queen was very… “Alien”. We were caught in a riddle of, “If we show an Alien Queen, the player will expect to fight her” and “If we don’t show her, people will ask where the eggs come from”. In the end we figured it was best to preserve the suspense and mystery by not explicitly showing her.”

They made the right call, IMO.

delta25

Banned
Yeah, and I love that. I think it's more effective using your imagination to picture the queen than the game actually showing it to you.

Agreed. My first playthrough I keep wondering when I might come across her. It really had my imagination all up in a whirl.

Neiteio

Agreed. My first playthrough I keep wondering when I might come across her. It really had my imagination all up in a whirl.
It also makes the Sevastapol feel like a huge place that you can crisscross all over it and still not encounter the root of all evil.

delta25

Banned
It also makes the Sevastapol feel like a huge place that you can crisscross all over it and still not encounter the root of all evil.

One thing I admired was pretty much anytime you looked out a window it really gave you a sense of scale at how big Sevastapol actually was.

Neiteio

One thing I admired was pretty much anytime you looked out a window it really gave you a sense of scale at how big Sevastapol actually was.
Yeah, that was one reason I really enjoyed the space walks. Some people found those sections mundane, but I found them incredibly immersive.

Top Bottom