• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV:What the official UK Charts this week would look like when digital was counted

ekim

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/citi...k-s-no-1-game-but-nobody-was-counting/0147206

Last week’s ‘official’ UK Top 10 chart would have been totally different if digital sales figures were taken into account.

Key sources have shared data with MCV that underlines the disparity between ‘official’ charts and the still unmeasured digital world.

physicaldigital_Chart1.jpg

physicaldigital_Chart2.jpg

More at the link.

Hasney

Interesting stuff. Most interesting part for me is that MCV are going to look at doing this regularly..

It won't be 100% accurate as they don't have all the sources, but it will be interesting to see at the very least if a game is doing well digitally.

Until a formal solution is offered for better showing the health of software sales in the UK, MCV is committed to offering a substitute.

Going forward, we hope to start publishing regular charts accurately taking into account digital sales like the one above.

Using a variety of sources, we will try to accurately portray a total measure of games sales in the UK, across both boxed and digital.

We do not guarantee 100 per cent accuracy from day one – but what we do promise is to start bringing some unity on the otherwise separated and fractured data sources in the business.

If you’d like to contribute to this new initiative, contact MCV editor Chris Dring at cdring@nbmedia.com. Data will be kept confidential at all times and used only to aggregate Top 10 or Top 20 rankings.

JordanKZ

I think it's telling how much digital games are changing the sales 'landscape'. It's about time the major players published numbers.

HLM2 and Ori doing work, but we do have to remember it's still a pretty slow period for game releases, so while it's impressive to see digital only games hitting the top ten, it's likely not something that would happen during a busier period.

I don't mean to take away from the success of those digital only games, just putting it out there...

hurr

Banned
This just Shows how many XBOX ONE games are being sold digitally. Wow. Especially compared to PS4 games.

Is there a reason digital games are not counted? is it a retailer decision?
Chart-track already tracks 95% of retail so retailers is not the reason:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/cities-skylines-was-last-week-s-no-1-game-but-nobody-was-counting/0147206 said:
The UK trade has been talking up a digital chart for years. But efforts by both Chart-Track and UKIE have stumbled as they failed to secure the support of 100 per cent of publishers.

It baffles me how many people buy games digitally, especially brand new.

Indie games i understand and when Steam/Psn/XBL do massive deals, like 70% off of RRP. But buying a brand new games day one or a few months old, digitally, is crazy to me.

You can get physical copies cheaper or worst case, the same price. But with trade in value it works out miles better.

Each to their own, but to me it's crazy

Seanspeed

Banned
HLM2 and Ori doing work, but we do have to remember it's still a pretty slow period for game releases, so while it's impressive to see digital only games hitting the top ten, it's likely not something that would happen during a busier period.

I don't mean to take away from the success of those digital only games, just putting it out there...
That's true.

But a niche PC exclusive from a small developer leading the tables is still great to see(not because its exclusive, but because its usually a smaller market). Cities Skylines is such an awesome game and will be a contender on some people's GOTY lists no doubt.

mclem

Why is Minecraft Xbox highlighted? It's in the same relative position, isn't it?

I note that digital sales of the boxed releases don't appear to be impacting their position, which suggests the digital versions of boxed games sell in a roughly similar proportion to retail ones.

Bazry

Metroid Fusion and A Link To The Past would probably have charted this week with the Club Nintendo rewards

Eye opening. Reminds me of when music charts didn't count digital, they were becoming irrelevant.
well digital releases are like straight to dvd releases, it's an honor to release physically so they get all the buzz, straight to dvd not so much.
I always thought it was because digital distributors like Valve don't release their sales data.
Metroid Fusion and A Link To The Past would probably have charted this week with the Club Nintendo rewards
Free games don't really belong in a sales chart.

wrowa

Indie games i understand and when Steam/Psn/XBL do massive deals, like 70% off of RRP. But buying a brand new games day one or a few months old, digitally, is crazy to me.

You can get physical copies cheaper or worst case, the same price. But with trade in value it works out miles better.

There are people who aren't interested in trading in their games and who rather have the comfort of not having to change annoying discs. Crazy, I know.

EGM1966

I buy all my X1 games digitally.

Is there a reason digital games are not counted? is it a retailer decision?

I'd imagine to get digital they'd need to get all the storefronts (Steam, PSN, Live, etc) to release sales numbers which I suspect is trickier than simply getting numbers from retailers for physical units. The retailers give them up for the advantage of getting market data.

The digital storefronts I don't believe have as much reason to share - I mean if you're Valve with Steam or Sony with PSN why would you share that? I can see them sharing lists and rankings but getting actual unit sales I suspect is more of a challenge.

And people thought MS was stupid for buying up the Minecraft IP.

Surprised The Order isn't on the list. It did chart in the US NPD correct?

Wow, I didn't expect that kind of disparity at all. I think the industry owes it to itself to gather up its digital data and show what REALLY sells, because this is too interesting.

Cities is doing crazily well.

Percy

Banned
I'll never understand how anyone in the UK can bring themselves to pay the offensive digital prices for console retail games at launch.

This just Shows how many XBOX ONE games are being sold digitally. Wow. Especially compared to PS4 games.

lmao

Digital sales need to be counted. I'd say they are equal if not more important then physical sales these days.
Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo won't want it to happen. They only stand to lose real estate on the charts if they agree to it. Valve's perspective seems to be, we know PC is healthy we don't need to convince anyone. Hopefully Chart Track and their equivalents can work something out but I'm not too hopeful. How did Apple and others come about to sharing music data with the music charts? I suppose because music is fairly platform neutral there were less vested interests.

patapuf

I'll never understand how anyone in the UK can bring themselves to pay the offensive digital prices for console retail games at launch.

Considering most of the games being added are PC games or only available digitally i'd guess not many do.

PC games have no trade-in value, and not everyone trades in their games. And if you're buying a game at launch, there is often no price advantage to going physical.

Is this just a general swipe against digital prices or are you commenting on something specific in the chart? All I see are budget releases, some of which don't have much retail presence (Hotline, Ori, Cities). The only surprise to me is that people are buying Call of Duty digitally at 10. I'm not sure if it was on sale last week?

Steroyd

There are a bunch of games that I buy day one and never sell, so I may as well get it digitally, however because the average price of said games is fucking £50-60 on PSN, that is the only inhibitor to me buying digitally outside of me finding deals like the £50 PSN credit for £25 deal back in February.

As you say buying full price months after launch is madness, either day one or wait for that deal, I've been stuck in purgatory with some games for a while.

Appreciate the info. I wonder where Bloodborne will be...already seeing used copies at Gamestop, but I attribute that to casuals

Most definitely it must be from people diving in for the first time and finding the game too brutal.

I suspect Bloodborne will have a very strong debut in the UK at least seeing as PS4 is strong there+ people love their "Souls" games. Probably shuffle into the top 2.

Aren't reliable digital numbers unobtainable without permission/disclosure from the service providers where all the numbers are stored in their systems (PSN/Live)?

Yeah, it's in the best value bundles as of last Friday so it should climb again.

Although Rakuten has the best value PS4 now.

Heh, I think the game will do well for Sony and RAD overall if it keeps being promoted this way.

Folks are genuinely interested in the title (just not at £50)

Percy

Banned
Is this just a general swipe against digital prices or are you commenting on something specific in the chart? All I see are budget releases, some of which don't have much retail presence (Hotline, Ori, Cities). The only surprise to me is that people are buying Call of Duty digitally at 10. I'm not sure if it was on sale last week?

I was being more general than anything I guess, several games on there that I see costing a lot more on the digital stores than they do in physical form at every retailer I look at (CoD, GTA, DmC "DE").

pastrami

So did MCV get digital sales data for GTAV, FIFA, Minecraft, and others? Because I'm skeptical that they did. It seems more like they got some numbers from independent developers and added them to the chart. Unless they are more transparent about what numbers they have, I think it's a bit misleading to say this is what the chart should look like.

That's true.

But a niche PC exclusive from a small developer leading the tables is still great to see(not because its exclusive, but because its usually a smaller market). Cities Skylines is such an awesome game and will be a contender on some people's GOTY lists no doubt.

Indeed. I actually think that seeing a PC exclusive top the charts is important in itself, regardless of the quality of the actual game (which is fantastic btw). It shows that the true state of the market isn't what it seems and that there is a lot of money to be made in PC exclusive titles. The audience is there, developers just need to target it.

For me, its a lifestyle. I don't want physical things cluttering up my house. All my entertainment is digital these days. Music, Books, Movies, and finally games. It was rather weird that it was easier to replace books, movies and music than games.

Top Bottom