• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: don't expect many packin's this year.

BokehKing

Banned
Yeah, when Sony drops price, I expect them to go straight to 299.99.
Not sure if sarcastic, but I don't think they will ever drop down to $300 for another year because they don't have to, I'm just pointing out, there is no way Microsoft is going to $350 again this holiday, they will go lower.

SlickVic

Well okay then. From personal experience, the price drop coupled with a "free copy" of Sunset Overdrive in that bundle is what put me bite the bullet on an Xbox One.

pixelation

I feel they'd have to go lower. Right now being 50 bucks less works because I believe that the perceived difference between $349 and $399 is greater than the difference at $249 vs $299.

We already know that even as is, the X1 is very much struggling. In fact, it's not even a struggle, the PS4 is just easily beating it. A $299 PS4 would, imo, be the worst case scenerio for MS this year. $249 plus some free games may cut it, but I could see them going down to $229 or even $199 like they did last holidays if they want to replicate the nov/Dec success.

Crazy that if this happens, the X1, a brand new console (relatively speaking), might be about or even cheaper than the near 10 year old PS3.

Can MS go lower?, i thought the XBO was more expensive to manufacture?, or will they just keep bleeding in order to stay competitive?

Can MS go lower?, i thought the XBO was more expensive to manufacture?, or will they just keep bleeding in order to stay competitive?

I don't know if they can but if we've learned anything it is that MS is willing to do what needs to be done to secure those two months in NA. I mean, just look at this year, nothing exclusive wise till the end of the year, then boom, they flood us with games. They'll loose every month of the year as long as they win Those two final ones.

I feel they'd have to go lower. Right now being 50 bucks less works because I believe that the perceived difference between $349 and $399 is greater than the difference at $249 vs $299.

We already know that even as is, the X1 is very much struggling. In fact, it's not even a struggle, the PS4 is just easily beating it. A $299 PS4 would, imo, be the worst case scenerio for MS this year. $249 plus some free games may cut it, but I could see them going down to $229 or even $199 like they did last holidays if they want to replicate the nov/Dec success.

Crazy that if this happens, the X1, a brand new console (relatively speaking), might be about or even cheaper than the near 10 year old PS3.
Uhhh no.

Xbone will not get an official price cut to anything under $299 this year, even if PS4 goes to $299.

Bookmark it!

pixelation

I don't know if they can but if we've learned anything it is that MS is willing to do what needs to be done to secure those two months in NA. I mean, just look at this year, nothing exclusive wise till the end of the year, then boom, they flood us with games. They'll loose every month of the year as long as they win Those two final ones.

Yeah, we'll have to see what MS does and how Sony counters... if they do at all...

They are even or slightly lower for xbox w/o kinect.

Thanks Statham, I did not know that.

BokehKing

Banned
Microsoft will Bleed in order to catch up (in america)

I think it's just a matter of time before the higher up's decide the bleeding has to stop.

Gorillaz

Yea, that X1 creed bundle during the holidays sold pretty well and it had me wonder how much of a hit did Ubisoft take from that. Might have dug further then they wanted to

1st party pack ins still have to be big obviously. I'm gonna assuming halo 5 will be the big one this year/holiday then

Bgamer90

Banned

We already know that even as is, the X1 is very much struggling. In fact, it's not even a struggle, the PS4 is just easily beating it.

PS4 is getting the recent games. Xbox One being a cheaper price isn't going to help if it's still being supported by games that people bought and/or have owned since the Holiday season.

A $299 PS4 would, imo, be the worst case scenerio for MS this year. $249 plus some free games may cut it, but I could see them going down to $229 or even $199 like they did last holidays if they want to replicate the nov/Dec success.

They wouldn't need go that low at all. The Xbox One has a good lineup this year (exclusives and multiplats) -- less than $250 would be insane.

The last gen consoles stayed a pretty good price ($300 range) for the majority of that whole (long) generation anyway. PS3 and 360 should have been hitting the $99 range back in 2013/2014 in my opinion -- the consoles are basically a decade old now.

Xenus

PS4 is getting the recent games. Xbox One being a cheaper price isn't going to help if it's still being supported by games that people bought and/or have owned since the Holiday season.

They wouldn't need go that low at all. The Xbox One has a good lineup this year (exclusives and multiplats) -- less than $250 would be insane.

The last gen consoles stayed a pretty good price ($300 range) for the majority of that whole (long) generation anyway. PS3 and 360 should be hitting the $99 range in my opinion -- the console are basically a decade old.

Even at $250 I think they'd be in hot water with the higher ups with the amount of money they'd be bleeding at that price point.

you going to make me search for this?, it was around launch, but the xbox without kinect was like $7 cheaper.

There were 2 companies that made estimates on the costs for each console at launch

This is one

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723016

Which asserts that back then at launch the XB1 cost $15 more than the PS4 to make without the kinect [$90 more with kinect]

I have not been able to find the other one which might be the one you're thinking of

Edit: I believe this might be the other one from around launch?

http://www.techinsights.com/ps4-vs-xboxone/

Has the XB1 standalone at $331 versus the PS4 at $339

Although they have kinect costing $39 to make and both estimates notably lower than IHS which I think was the one most people thought was the better estimate as they are an actual analyst company I believe whereas I'm not entirely sure what teardown.com would be labeled as

Fallout 4 bundle ought to push some sales.

I'd wager that Microsoft has that marketing agreement. Crazy that it could actually release this year.

No way the XB1 drops to $199 lol. Isn't that around what 360s/PS3s are currently selling for? Especially now with Black Ops 3/Halo 5 releasing this year.

Chobel

you going to make me search for this?, it was around launch, but the xbox without kinect was like $7 cheaper.

The article said XB1 costs $396 to make (without kinect).

Actually a strong possibility. Didn't Microsoft and Bethesda have an arrangement for Fallout 3, New Vegas and or Skyrim?

I don't even know what an avatar bet is, but mine carries no weight so let's do that lol

The loser will have to use a silly avatar pic (winner's choice of course) for 1 month.

Amir0x

Banned
Shit, Sony is rumoured to have a marketing deal for Battlefront from John Harker? Sony is good at picking their battles this gen. They abandoned ship on Assassin's Creed marketing right before that disaster, and they called it on the Destiny success story and now they got agreements with Batman and Battlefront. Now if only they can get their exclusives all winning like Bloodborne instead of The Order, they'll be in fantastic shape.

We'll see about the less pack-ins thing though. You're not going to tell me Microsoft is going to avoid that effective Holiday strategy if they consistently stay behind PS4 all year and it gets worse due to their exclusives/marketing deals.

Bgamer90

Banned
Even at $250 I think they'd be in hot water with the higher ups with the amount of money they'd be bleeding at that price point.

Yeah, probably. They would need to have a special (more expensive) bundle do well alongside it. Halo 5 would be the perfect game for that.

I'm expecting the Xbox One to get down to $299 though I wouldn't be surprised to see it at $250 this year. Anything lower than $250 wouldn't make sense to me (though I'm positive the Xbox One would do VERY well if they got it to that price).

The battle is going to be interesting... PS4 is going to do well during the Fall/Holiday season but I really think MS is going to go all out. Major exclusives coming this year + Uncharted 4 dealy = a great set-up.

The last gen consoles stayed a pretty good price ($300 range) for the majority of that whole (long) generation anyway. PS3 and 360 should have been hitting the $99 range back in 2013/2014 in my opinion -- the consoles are basically a decade old now.

Indeed, but see if you went back a year and told me that by Holidays I'd be able to pick up an X1 with the new AC for $329 (along with gift cards and/or gold) I would also have called you crazy.

Would it really be that crazy?

The X1 had a pretty solid lineup last holiday too (ignoring the MCC launch screw up). I still think Halo as a brand is not as strong as it once was and I'd wager a good amount of Halo gamers have already jumped in via the MCC. Every other exclusive will be largely irrelevant sy stem selling wise (TR is the one I've no idea about, maybe it'll break out).

$299 VS $299 would, imo, end in pretty bad stuff for MS

statham

There were 2 companies that made estimates on the costs for each console at launch

This is one

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723016

Which asserts that back then at launch the XB1 cost $15 more than the PS4 to make without the kinect [$90 more with kinect]

I have not been able to find the other one which might be the one you're thinking of
just did a quick search, maybe I'm wrong, I remember a thread on gaf which Xbox without kinect was cheaper, but I can't find it.
I came across this which I'm sure you guys did, why is stuff like optical drive more on XB1? some questionable stuff the two below it too.
https://technology.ihs.com/api/binary/489808

TomShoe

Banned
I still don't think they're going to bundle Halo 5. It's going to sell, bundled or not.

I think Microsoft is going to try to get a MGSV pack in.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS at least tried to send out some feelers in Konami's direction now that Kojima-san is about to get the K-bosh. I doubt it'll happen though, given the outpouring of hate at the Tomb Raider deal.

Bgamer90

Banned
Indeed, but see if you went back a year and told me that by Holidays I'd be able to pick up an X1 with the new AC for $329 (along with gift cards and/or gold) I would also have called you crazy.

Xbox One at under $250 with free games would be on a whole different level than last year to me. That would be crazy. The sales would be amazing (possibly 1.5 Million+ for November NPD) but MS would lose a lot of money. Don't think they need to get that desperate when they have a good number of major games releasing this year.

The X1 had a pretty solid lineup last holiday too (ignoring the MCC launch screw up). I still think Halo as a brand is not as strong as it once was and I'd wager a good amount of Halo gamers have already jumped in via the MCC. Every other exclusive will be largely irrelevant sy stem selling wise (TR is the one I've no idea about, maybe it'll break out).

There's still many Halo gamers waiting for Halo 5 as it will be the first true Halo game for this gen. Halo 5 is going to make a bigger impact than MCC due to that.

Forza Motorsport 6 should do better than Horizon 2. Forza series is pretty niche but Forza 6 should be more impressive; sim racers seem to get more attention than games of Horizon's nature (even though Horizon is more accessible).

Tomb Raider vs. Sunset Overdrive -- no competition there in my opinion. Tomb Raider should do better; Especially if MS uses it as this year's "AC Unity" for bundles.

PS4 would more than likely do better but I think the Xbox One would still do well due to COD and Halo 5 alone. $299 for the only system that has both of those games would attract many Americans who still haven't made the jump to current gen yet.

just did a quick search, maybe I'm wrong, I remember a thread on gaf which Xbox without kinect was cheaper, but I can't find it.
I came across this which I'm sure you guys did, why is stuff like optical drive more on XB1? some questionable stuff the two below it too.
https://technology.ihs.com/api/binary/489808

XB1 blu-ray being more expensive actually means the estimate is more accurate as MS has to pay a royalty to the blu-ray conglomerate for each drive whereas sony wouldn't have to

I edited my post above with the other one you were thinking of that did indeed have the XB1 standalone being cheaper

I believe this might be the other one from around launch?

http://www.techinsights.com/ps4-vs-xboxone/

Has the XB1 standalone at $331 versus the PS4 at $339

Although they have kinect costing $39 to make and both estimates notably lower than IHS which I think was the one most people thought was the better estimate as they are an actual analyst company I believe whereas I'm not entirely sure what teardown.com would be labeled as

The other thing to take into consideration is that costs have probably come down for both somewhat although I think Sony might be seeing better reductions with more sales, better economies of scale but it's a lot of guesswork.

I agree, I would not have believed either, but it is important to remember that that was a BF deal, not an official price cut, and also, they technically only dropped the price $50/$70(BF) + free games for the holiday period as the Kinect AC bundle was still $450/$430(BF).

To drop the price by $100 this year they would have to remove hardware (like a disc drive) as the investors would not let them bleed money like that, and anything over $100 price cut this year is just crazy talk.

Minions

I don't expect to see bundles like the Black Friday one for Refurb Xbox One + Kinect + 4 games for $330~

They were basically giving the console away at that price. I would still expect to see bundles with a game packed in.... Just not 3-4.

statham

XB1 blu-ray being more expensive actually means the estimate is more accurate as MS has to pay a royalty to the blu-ray conglomerate for each drive whereas sony wouldn't have to

I edited my post above with the other one you were thinking of that did indeed have the XB1 standalone being cheaper

The other thing to take into consideration is that costs have probably come down for both somewhat although I think Sony might be seeing better reductions with more sales, better economies of scale but it's a lot of guesswork.

thats the thread, I would say they cost probably even, with MS benefiting with DDR3 costs going down temp, and in the long run GDDR5 costs going down, while DDR3 rises.

Yea, that X1 creed bundle during the holidays sold pretty well and it had me wonder how much of a hit did Ubisoft take from that. Might have dug further then they wanted to

1st party pack ins still have to be big obviously. I'm gonna assuming halo 5 will be the big one this year/holiday then

im sure UBI was very happy with that deal. It's probably the retailers that weren't to keen on it. they would be selling a ton of consoles but those same customers weren't buying more games to go along with their purchases.

I think that's the reason why we seen XB1 pull ahead in some of the January/February software sales. people relied on those bundled games during the first few weeks.

Elios83

I think Microsoft is going to try to get a MGSV pack in.

Not happening considering that Sony has the marketing rights and is even doing a custom themed console (already confirmed for Japan) which they are considering to bring to the west.
MGSV should be PS4's next Destiny in September.

Btw I'm expecting price drops later this year.
My guess it that Microsoft will drop to 299$ in september (and this time worldwide not just USA) and will add Tomb Raider in every console for the holiday season with extra promotions and gifts cards throughout November/December.
Sony will drop at least to 350$ + bundles at the end of the year, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they tried to go for the jugular following the PS2 business plan with a price cut to 299$ (without bundles)..which might fit with what Gamestop is saying.

kirby_fox

Banned
I wonder if this is because there was no uptick in sales vs. the rest of the year.

I really expect the 360/PS3 to get price cuts though. I'm amazed at how they've stayed at such a high price instead of hitting the $99 mark.

Top Bottom