• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: don't expect many packin's this year.

statham

I wonder when the pricedrops will happen.

My first thought as well. PS4 at $350 seems like a safe inevitability, it's on Microsoft to decide if they can afford to actually go any lower.

I wonder how much clout Gamestop has in the conversation about pack-in games. It's obvious that they impact new software sales (people want something to play on the new console, why bother buying a game if the machine comes with two?) - but does Gamestop have the leverage to end the practice?

Edit: Damn it, OP. Game SPOT, not Game STOP. My point stands regardless.

Bgamer90

Banned
I wonder when the pricedrops will happen.

Definitely seems like we will see them this year.

Could see both systems having a price drop with the Xbox One being $50 cheaper than whatever the PS4 will go to.

Anyway, I would be surprised if we don't see it from MS. Expecting a special (more expensive) Halo 5 bundle, and a standard price bundle for Tomb Raider.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I could understand this from 3rd parties, but it's better for 1st party titles to be packed in anyways as it's more cost effective for the hardware manufacturers especially if they just bundle old games via download codes aka no extra packaging.

GameSeeker

There's no way MS doesn't pack a few games throughout the year. I mean, they basically have to

Agreed. Maybe Microsoft will bundle more of their first party output this year (Halo 5, Forza 6, etc.) instead of 3rd party titles like last year's Titanfall and AC: Unity bundles.

Chobel

Definitely seems like we will see them this year.

Could see both systems having a price drop with the Xbox One being $50 cheaper than whatever the PS4 will go to.

Do you think MS will go $250 if Sony dropped the price to $300?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I am curious if Sony or Nintendo will do an official pricedrop this year

Nintendo no (Iwata reaffirmed this recently), Sony don't think so - might subsidize via pack-in games or ps+ during the holidays

SerTapTap

I wonder which platform holders, or is it all of them? Sony has done the least packing in, I don't really see MS stopping pack ins any time soon, Nintendo seems stuck with it too. I can see Sony unbundling TLOU (but why, value's gone at this point and it's a great game to get started with), but I can't really imagine MS or Nintendo selling naked Xbox Ones or Wii Us again.

Chobel

Sony also has Battlefront marketing deal, no way they're gonna pass on making official bundle for it.

My first thought as well. PS4 at $350 seems like a safe inevitability, it's on Microsoft to decide if they can afford to actually go any lower.

I wonder how much clout Gamestop has in the conversation about pack-in games. It's obvious that they impact new software sales (people want something to play on the new console, why bother buying a game if the machine comes with two?) - but does Gamestop have the leverage to end the practice?

Edit: Damn it, OP. Game SPOT, not Game STOP. My point stands regardless.

If GameStop won't do it, other shops will. Expect Target, WalMart, Best Buy, etc to run their own deals.

Sony has Battlefront marketing deal, no way they're gonna pass on making official bundle for it.

Rumoured, anyway.

Won't know till E3, unless it's to the extent that the deal prevents Xbox media from actively talking about it ala CoD or Diablo 3.

blakep267

Yea that's just speculation we don't know who's doing the marketing for rainbow six or battlefront but since the rainbow 6 alpha was using xbox buttons, that may point to them. Who knows

It would be weird for ubi to not spread games around

Nintendo no (Iwata reaffirmed this recently), Sony don't think so - might subsidize via pack-in games or ps+ during the holidays

Didn't see that Iwata had reaffirmed it for the Wii U so thanks for that

I really have no idea with Sony. They could wait it out longer if they want to but the faster they cut the price in a more official capacity the faster their userbase grows and they now have PS+ and other revenue streams from each console besides just game royalties so I'm not sure where the formula sits that makes them press the magic button so to say

I do still hold onto the notion that one big drop to $299 is more powerful than two seperate drops of $50 but I dunno

Sony/MS/Nintendo: Don't worry, we won't cause too much trouble to you this year. Good partners.

Later in the year...

All: Did you seriously believe it lmao? You need us!

blakep267

Rumoured, anyway.

Won't know till E3, unless it's to the extent that the deal prevents Xbox media from actively talking about it ala CoD or Diablo 3.

Im not sure how that would be possible since EA access is still in place and most likely there would bee early access.

Do you think MS will go $250 if Sony dropped the price to $300?

I feel they'd have to go lower. Right now being 50 bucks less works because I believe that the perceived difference between $349 and $399 is greater than the difference at $249 vs $299.

We already know that even as is, the X1 is very much struggling. In fact, it's not even a struggle, the PS4 is just easily beating it. A $299 PS4 would, imo, be the worst case scenerio for MS this year. $249 plus some free games may cut it, but I could see them going down to $229 or even $199 like they did last holidays if they want to replicate the nov/Dec success.

Crazy that if this happens, the X1, a brand new console (relatively speaking), might be about or even cheaper than the near 10 year old PS3.

Top Bottom