• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will this be the defining holiday season for Xbox One?

RoKKeR

It'll probably be shite, broken, delayed or all three though. 343 don't exactly have a reassuring track record.

This is tiring to be honest.

H5 will have had a 3+ year dev cycle, is being worked on (I assume) almost entirely in-house (as opposed to a rushed 7-8 studio effort for MCC) and has already had a very large public beta 9-11 months prior to launch.

MCC's failings, in my opinion at least have little bearing on how Halo 5 will perform at launch. Then again, what do I know? Could very well be a mess, and I understand people will assume that it will after MCC... the damage is done.

Edit: On topic, I think MS has a strong lineup going into the holiday season with a lot of titles I'm looking forward to. Between Halo, Forza, something Gears related and Tomb Raider they'll be really packing things in come year end. That's not to say Sony and Nintendo don't have things planned. I'd say they both have one or two big things coming this year that we don't know about.

Madness

Nothing is definitive. If the game needs more time, it needs more time.

Nothing is ever definitive. But it's absurd to think they'll need more time for Halo 5. Did you not see the beta they released in December? How polished and finished it already was? Their big list of changes is absolutely minute, from changes to weapons or speed or controls, but other than that, the multi-player is largely done. There is no way they'd miss this holiday season. They'd rather release and patch content in later like they did for Halo 4 with spartan ops and now with MCC, having a day one multi-player content patch.

Sydle

I know this is OT sorta but OP mentioned it. People didn't really think a new Zelda was coming this year, did they?

I thought the same about a month ago and then several GAFFERS pointed me to articles showing they had a targeted release of 2015.

Sitris

This pretty much. MCC killed a good bit of halo buzz imo
In my friendship circle I have to agree, personally I was on the fence about picking up an Xbox One, I thought my love for Halo would be more than enough for the MCC to be the ice breaker. But the reception for it was surprisingly luke warm, small choices like not allowing people who didn't buy it in the launch window access to ODST have also lessened my excitement. I'm still going to get one eventually, but I think it heavily depends on the quality of Halo 5. This is MS holiday season to lose, they have the potential for some killer titles, they might not win throughout the year, but if they don't pull of something similar to last year it would be bad news for the xbox I think. Quantum Break, Forza 6, Tomb Raider, Halo. That's a one hell of a combo. Assuming no delays of course.

Gestault

I know this is OT sorta but OP mentioned it. People didn't really think a new Zelda was coming this year, did they?

Seeing as it was revealed with in-engine materials, and later announced for a 2015 window, and had been in a playable/showable state for a decent amount of time, yes.

I thought the same about a month ago and then several GAFFERS pointed me to articles showing they had a targeted release of 2015.

Seeing as it was revealed with in-engine materials, and later announced for a 2015 window, and had been in a playable/showable state for a decent amount of time, yes.

Every Zelda gets delayed. I wish I could have bet on that somewhere I'd be able to pay off my student loans.

Despite the fact that Tinashe is sexy as hell, I don't know how I feel about this topic. Obviously it'll be their holiday. They will do whatever they can to win, just like every holiday season.

Its just Sony tends to do better across the year so it doesn't matter in the end.

CCIE

Banned
QB isn't going to make it... and my guess is that Tomb Raider won't either. OTOH, I'm expecting a new Banjo Kazooie to be MS ace in the hole for the Holidays.

ps3ud0

As a European I always dumbfounded by how relevant something like Halo is in 2015 (especially in light of what preceded it and the devs who'll make it), no doubt it will do well in the US but in reality that doesnt mean much at all. Ive always seen such opinion as myopic...

I cant see Holiday 2015 being any different to 2014 in that XO outsells the PS4 in NA while the PS4 extends its sales worldwide, both likely to be more driven by price point than what exclusives are being launched. Wii U will freeze to death as usual :(

ps3ud0 8)

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I would hope that every holiday season is a success for them.

How dare you wish good fortune to the xbox brand in Neogaf?! Get out of here!
----------------------

We all know how powerful Halo games are in terms of sales. I know GAF likes to say that people are a little sceptical of 343i so H5 may not sell well. I think thats bollocks, the majority of 343i skeptics are gaffers. I may be completely wrong here.

PS4 has sold a ridonkulous amount of units. So regardless of how big the the holiday titles are, the PS4 may win the units sold (games+consoles), hence, profit (?)

Cess007

Interesting, so does that confirm the Delta Squad Collection?

He denied a Marcus Fenix Collection, Gears of war:Judgement isn't about Markus Fenix, so a collection of all 4 games, wouldn't be a Marcus Fenix Collection

About that...

Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg

@naccio86 @XboxP3 well @GearsViking already let fans know there is no Gears/Marcus Collection. Stay tuned for more Xbox news at E3.

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/580732605110181889

Fox Mulder

They'll be aggressive again with price drops and bundles, but I don't give a shit about halo 5 after the MCC shitshow. It was a franchise I've enjoyed since 2002, but they killed my enthusiasm.

I can't wait to have Forza 6 inside me though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Treyarch returns to CoD and we're getting Star Wars fucking Battlefront.

I see Halo 5 getting trampled easily by both, so I don't see it being an ace for Microsoft. I mean, it'll help sure, but its not enough.

Madness

As long as I get to play Halo 5 this year, that's what matters.

Did you try the beta? It's either going to be September or November launch this year. Quite a few rumors say September which I think would be smarter given that Call of Duty and the new Star Wars: Battlefront might be November releases.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Not just this but MS will dominate every holiday season in United States of America

hawk2025

If somehow Halo 5 captures the cultural zeitgeist like previous Halos have managed to, then it could be a huge holiday season for it.

It all comes down to whether or not Halo is on a permanent downfall trajectory or just slumbering for a bit. I imagine that the Spartan Assault and Nightfall did more to damage the brand than help it.

Krakn3Dfx

A cross gen Tomb Raider, Halo 5 from 343, and another Forza. Unless something big comes to light at E3, probably another holiday of deep hardware pricing cuts, on both sides if Sony's holiday rolls around with nothing big to talk about.

Also, as mentioned previously, 3rd party will drive the holidays, not exclusives.

RowdyReverb

I think some people are selling Halo 5 short. H4 sold 10 million-ish
(didn't it?)
in a post-COD era.
MCC didn't sell like crazy thanks to its launch issues and the fact that it contained only old content, not to mention it did not have the full force of MS marketing as H5 no doubt will. It didn't have a limited edition console or even a bundle until just recently. I don't think that MCC's sales performance and launch state are reasonable barometers for H5's potential.

Madness

Treyarch returns to CoD and we're getting Star Wars fucking Battlefront.

I see Halo 5 getting trampled easily by both, so I don't see it being an ace for Microsoft. I mean, it'll help sure, but its not enough.

You also do realize that both those games sell extremely well on Xbox right? Hell Call of Duty has an exclusive partnership with MS that will also move Xbox Ones. Last year was the Advanced Warfare bundle. Just checking Battlefield Hardline stats right now and while PS4 does have more 24h peak users and about 10k more users than Xbox One right now, the fact that Xbox One has literally sold half the consoles as Sony and yet keeps pretty close in software sales especially for shooters leads me to think it's going to be enough.

Third party will probably be the big sellers this year, but I think Halo, Forza, Tomb Raider will be enough. But even if it isn't, it will be beast sales again this holiday.

Bgamer90

Banned
They have no chance of "winning" unless you're specifically talking about NA for two months of the year (maybe 3 if Halo 5 makes it in Sept)

Yeah, we are talking about November/December.

Anyway, still too soon to say. Got to wait to see what the price drops will be, what bundles they'll introduce, as well as when the games release.

If MS is smart with all of that, then I could see the Xbox One taking September to December (in North America); Maybe even August to December if we'll see another Madden bundle (but this time at a cheaper price than the PS4).

In terms of actual sales? Halo 5 will/should top all three, easily. SO and FH2 didn't set the charts on fire at all.

What's your definition of defining holiday season? Will it do well? Probably. Will it do so well it will suddenly be in the lead and shift the momentum towards Xbox being the platform leader? Absolutely not.

Not sure what the OPs definition of defining holiday season is but I'm thinking more about fun factor and quality from their exclusive games. Going by that I'd say yes.

Bgamer90

Banned
Not sure what the OPs definition of defining holiday season is but I'm thinking more about fun factor and quality from their exclusive games. Going by that I'd say yes.

If it's about "shining" in terms of just game quality then yeah, the Xbox One has a really good lineup for the second half of the year -- at least so far.

Really wouldn't be surprised to see Quantum Break delayed but I'm assuming that MS will save the news for E3 where their other (more positive) announcements will shine.

Yeah, we are talking about November/December.

Anyway, still too soon to say. Got to wait to see what the price drops will be, what bundles they'll introduce, as well as when the games release.

If MS is smart with all of that, then I could see the Xbox One taking September to December (in North America); Maybe even August to December if we'll see another Madden bundle (but this time at a cheaper price than the PS4).

Don't discount the MGSV PS4 bundle that is surely coming in September.

Hiltz

Well, Nintendo gave us a reason to believe it was. They confirmed its release for 2015 at E3 2014 in June, then they confirmed it again in December 2014 during the VGAs where the gameplay footage was shown, but filmed from a distance. The game was also confirmed twice on both occasions to be playable at E3 2015.

On a personal note, I didn't initially expect Zelda Wii U to be released in 2015, so when Nintendo announced that it would be during E3 in June 2014, I was surprised. This was due to the Zelda Team's busy schedule with other Zelda titles...

A Link Between Worlds initially began development with 3 staff members by the end of 2009 (which was before they new that the 3DS would have the 3D effect capability), but after 6 months of brainstorming and initial prototyping, the game's early progress was basically trashed by Miyamoto. By the second half of 2010, the game was set on using the wall mechanic to base the game around. By October 2010, the game's early development was put on hold not long after a prototype was made for it (which assets from Spirit Tracks). Nintendo needed to reassign the staff members working on A Link Between Worlds to be put on Wii U launch titles instead.

Eiji Aonuma and the rest of the Zelda team were busy working on Skyward Sword, so he did not personally join the project for A Link Between Worlds until after Skyward Sword's development was finished around November 2011. By May 2012, the dev team working on ALB made a couple of small dungeons, but Miyamoto didn't like them. He then suggested that the game be based on A Link To the Past. However, both Miyamoto and Aonuma had commented years before about considering making a a game similar to the design of Link to the Past. By the end of 2012, development on the game ramped up, adding many more staff members to the project in order to get it released in time by the end of 2013.

Wind Waker HD used a small amount of staff members and development was said to last between 6-7 months in 2013.

As for Zelda Wii U, development was confirmed to be in the works back in January 2013 along with Wind Waker HD. The small amount of staff that worked on Wind Waker HD and A Link Between Worlds eventually reunited to work on the rest of development on Zelda Wii U before the end of 2013. It was surprising to me that they managed to get the game shown at E3 2015 with an actual trailer with brief in-game footage,bu most of it was just a cut scene once Link rides off on horseback off-screen into the forest.

Jawmuncher

Well they'll probably have the strongest first party/exclusive line-up again like they did last year. Dunno if that will help them define in terms of sales. Especially since while Halo is still popular it's not the juggernaut it once was.

EagleEyes

Well they have Halo 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider and imo the best racing franchise in videogames with Forza Motorsport all to themselves so it should be a great holiday once again for Xbox One.

Well they have Halo 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider and imo the best racing franchise in videogames with Forza Motorsport all to themselves so it should be a great holiday once again for Xbox One.

I keep predictions that GT7 for PS4 could release this year. I don't believe it right now, but that would completely overshadow Forza 6.

Chris1

Yep the XB1 lineup in the second half of the year looks incredible. Forza 6, TR, H5, Gears and maybe QB.

2014 was a great year for the Xbox, but 2015 could top it easily imo.

FourMyle

If they manage to get the new Gears out this year then yes it will be. At least for me anyways. I want dat new Gears!

It's gonna be hard to top a holiday of Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2 and MCC.

...what? Halo 5 alone should pass all of those combined, easily.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its too early to say Sony or Nintendo dont have a big holiday exclusive(We dont know P5's release date yet ;) )

But yeah, even in the absolute worst case scenario for Sony against its rival going into holiday 2015, it would still win anyway WW. US may yield some for MS, but in the end its not a big deal for Sony i'm guesisng.

Nintendo's Wii U is a more troubling story considering Mario Maker and Yoshi are probably not gonna do much, and the other games are the only thing coming out this year. Xenoblade maybe gets delayed in western territories to holiday season mayhaps

PlimpyD

Neo Member
This pretty much. MCC killed a good bit of halo buzz imo

Yeah, while I certainly enjoyed Halo 4 the collection was an absolute and utter mess. It's intolerable to stuff up MP that bad and for that long. I certainly won't be dropping dollars on another 343 game again.

EagleEyes

I keep predictions that GT7 for PS4 could release this year. I don't believe it right now, but that would completely overshadow Forza 6.
Well we've seen nothing from Gt7 so atm it really is a pipe dream for it to come out this holiday season. :p Wouldn't change my opinion though as i've played both franchises and vastly prefer Forza.

Exclusives aren't a huge purchasing decider. I know they will come to each console so it's cool. You got Star Wars Battlefront and the usual annuals that will be the big chart toppers.

QuikNez

FORZA 6
HALO 5

+

Smaller slim form-factor (finger's crossed)

+

$299 to $350 price drop

= holiday domination, until UC4.

Hiltz

Well they'll probably have the strongest first party/exclusive line-up again like they did last year. Dunno if that will help them define in terms of sales. Especially since while Halo is still popular it's not the juggernaut it once was.

The software sales for Wii U seem like they'll be too low overall especially without a flagship IP. Splatoon's a new IP, so it's obviously hard to say how it will do. Star Fox sales will likely be low while Yoshi's Wooly World will perhaps be one of the better sellers alongside possibly Mario Maker. Devil's Third will bomb as expected. Xenoblade will get disappointing sales in Japan, so it pretty much leaves its best chance to sell well in North America, but it will likely under perform nonetheless.

Top Bottom