• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: GTA V patch 1.09 removes Parallax Occlusion Mapping, improves PS4 performance

chadskin

Overall, it's a somewhat bizarre state of affairs. The smoother frame-rates on the current build of Grand Theft Auto 5 are clearly a boon for PlayStation 4 owners, with the overall performance profile of the game now shifting ahead of the Xbox One version in all areas - something that definitely wasn't the case during the game's launch period. Losing parallax occlusion mapping is a blow though, particularly if you're using the first-person perspective mode, where the effect is much more pronounced than the standard third-person viewpoint where the omission of the effect isn't so noticeable. If it is a straight trade of POM for frame-rate, we would take the smoother overall performance.

The thing is, it's difficult to believe that there is a straight trade going on here, particularly when the absence of the effect on Xbox One makes no difference at all to the game's overall fluidity. We would also expect to see texture filtering quality increase with the removal of parallax occlusion mapping, perhaps with improved anisotropic filtering. However, while it's no worse than the launch code, as has been suggested, it's no better either. Our gut feeling here is that the removal of POM is a bug, and hopefully one that will be rectified in an upcoming patch.

More: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-has-rockstar-really-downgraded-gta-5

PreFire

What's with these updates fucking something else up?

I appreciate the performance trade off, but I prefer eye candy. I didn't notice sluggish performance playing on PS4 since launch day.

Hope DF is right and the removal of POM is just a bug

zdenko1

Probably just a quick fix to let everyone people know they are working on fixing it. I'm sure they will restore everything to normal state and there will be no more issues. Hopefully PC release will be as smooth as possible.

"The smoother frame-rates on the current build of Grand Theft Auto 5 are clearly a boon for PlayStation 4 owners,
with the overall performance profile of the game now shifting ahead of the Xbox One version in all areas
."

TAw82WS.png

Conduit

Banned
What's with these updates fucking something else up?

I appreciate the performance trade off, but I prefer eye candy. I didn't notice sluggish performance playing on PS4 since launch day.

Hope DF is right and the removal of POM is just a bug

On PS4 performed better shooting scenes, Xbone driving scenes at launch.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Didn't they already say this stuff was due to a bug and they were fixing it? Or is this the patch? Don't own the game anymore.

jediyoshi

The second paragraph of the article

Our schedule was too packed to take a look at it at the time, but the video clearly had an effect on the developer, who posted this message: "We are aware of some graphical issues on the Xbox One and PS4 versions of GTA 5 after the most recent Title Update, and we are investigating a fix now."

brobban

The game feels MUCH smoother now when driving through intersections. Really hope that the performance increase isn't due to the removal of POM

Lucifon

They also say PO has been removed on the Xbone version too with no performance improvement, so they believe its absence is a bug.

PreFire

The game feels MUCH smoother now when driving through intersections. Really hope that the performance increase isn't due to the removal of POM

Idk if this is also from the recent updates, but I noticed more cars in the intersections (causing me to crash a lot lol) when running red lights.

Before that, running red lights was just like driving through green lights, no incoming cars at high speeds in the intersection.

I like it though. Makes getting away in chases more exiting. You can use it as your advantage. I just like the subtle changes Rockstar makes sometimes

Hesemonni

Banned
As always, frame rate is the king. So perfectly ok with this.

Now, dispatch Sony code ninjas to patch the hell out of Bloodborne :p

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Glad to see PS4's performance much higher now. The driving scenes were very noticeable compared to the rest of the game's fluidity. But why was POM removed? It seems like a no win for XB1 users, atleast give everyone back POM.

I'm also wondering if Sony did something with the CPU utilization with recent SDK's, at launch of the game the performance issue was listed as being due to the CPU being lower clocked compared to the XB1's, and PS4 supposedly suffering in open world games. Now is that no longer the case..?

Yep bug confirmed !

Total BS on it being a bug... A mistaken inclusion? Maybe... an unintentionally side effect of code? No way. More likely than not they were testing the waters on whether they could get away with it for a cheap FPS boost while they worked on a possible solution.

Yes, the improved performance is very noticeable. There are still some drops, but they are rare now.

If they can bring back POM while maintaining the performance boost... Great! I want it back, POM looked great in this game.

edit: difference here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luSxtvYDK-I

Anyway, this comes a bit too late for me as I will jump on the PC version soon.

Mastperf

Seems unlikely POM was the cause of the frame drop at the intersections and the XB1's weaker gpu had less problem with it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Total BS on it being a bug... A mistaken inclusion? Maybe... an unintentionally side effect of code? No way. More likely than not they were testing the waters on whether they could get away with it for a cheap FPS boost while they worked on a possible solution.
Well I think by 'bug', people just mean something that wasn't intended. The game excluding the swaying trees, for example. Or Far Cry 4 having the god rays taken out. These were unlikely to be intended, but somehow got taken out through some sort of tinkering about.

Inuhanyou

Well I think by 'bug', people just mean something that wasn't intended. The game excluding the swaying trees, for example. Or Far Cry 4 having the god rays taken out. These were unlikely to be intended, but somehow got taken out through some sort of tinkering about.

I think what he's implying is that there was no way it wasn't a performance trade off and Rockstar are being intentionally obtuse about it. But DF says that doesn't add up so..i dunno -shrug-

the heist patches have been absolutely loaded with bugs... by far their buggiest SP patch.

it made vehicles disappear from purchase lists, odd vehicles appear on special car lists (a BMX and a Bodhi for Michael, then a boxvan, and then a Lampadati Casco for Trevor)... it caused Trevor's hair to revert to default, and upon death Michael can get stuck with this weird 'zombie buzz cut'. NPCs are rarely warping around in a way I've never seen (I play the game almost every week since PS3 release)... what else, Cargobob and Rhino Tank disappeared from your hangar and helipad list. All the notification pro-tips were reset. I'm probably forgetting some... and I'm sure there's GTAO or Heist bugs, too. And of course, the parallax mapping and deformation...

so in the context of how many other bugs there were in this patch, it seems rather likely that the POM is also a bug.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think what he's implying is that there was no way it wasn't a performance trade off and Rockstar are being intentionally obtuse about it. But DF says that doesn't add up so..i dunno -shrug-
I know what he's implying, but I'm just trying to explain what people mean by 'bug' as I don't think its always being used in the typical 'programming code problem' sense here.

gruenel

I'm also wondering if Sony did something with the CPU utilization with recent SDK's, at launch of the game the performance issue was listed as being due to the CPU being lower clocked compared to the XB1's, and PS4 supposedly suffering in open world games. Now is that no longer the case..?

That was just speculation.

Inuhanyou

I know what he's implying, but I'm just trying to explain what people mean by 'bug' as I don't think its always being used in the typical 'programming code problem' sense here.

Ah, yeah i understand now. Thanks for clarifying

That was just speculation.

I assume so, but then that just leaves me more curious. What exactly are they doing to fix these issues(rather significantly, going from what came before to basically stable 30 is pretty big)...was it just that the utilization of the CPU wasn't efficient at launch of the game in regards to crowded city areas or something like that?

Inuhanyou

They arent going to say anything like that for a bug like that...they barely do PR anyway

Inuhanyou

What is POM?

Parallax occlusion mapping. It makes textures look like they actually have definition and geometry(not tessellation)

The rocks on the train track actually look 3D, like they are all individual rocks, and the train tracks themselves pop out more

omonimo

Banned
Glad to see PS4's performance much higher now. The driving scenes were very noticeable compared to the rest of the game's fluidity. But why was POM removed? It seems like a no win for XB1 users, atleast give everyone back POM.

Probably because it was an incredible bullshit. It has explained more than a time those CPU advantages on xbone are almost nothing in the world of the real performance.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i dont know what parallax occlusion mapping is. the only thing i notice that is different is the frame rate so i hope they don't add it back in.

Top Bottom