• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Turns 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

robot

I remember begging my dad to take me to this movie the night it came out - he didn't want to but ultimately did.

I then saw it a 2nd time for my friends birthday, someone was selling plastic nunchucks outside the theater, we of course bought them and ran around the lot swinging them in the air and yelling turtle catch phrases.

My friends and I still quote the movie to this day:

"Bossa Nova! Chevy Nova?"

"Pizza dudes got 30 seconds" Followed missing your mouth with a toothpick and hitting your cheek.

Favorite scene is where the pizza guy delivers to a sewer grate and then bitches about not finding it.

hqdefault.jpg

>:)

I last watched it a few years ago and was surprised at how well it held up. The costume effects really were amazing work. The only thing I don't really like about this movie is how Shredder is basically a hulking , grunting silver monster. There isn't really any character to him.

wat

I believe you are referring to the QTE Shredder that was this
OKoBuTd.png

Which, ironically enough, was 100x less effective than normal Shredder. Complete disappointment.

nictron

I rewatched and enjoyed all three a few months ago. Yes, even the third one.

Great movies.

I still wish 2 had Bebop and Rocksteady instead of new characters. Also, leaving Krang out was probably a good idea given how it would have looked on the big screen compared to a cartoon. Though a big screen Technodrome would have blown our child minds back then.

I haven't really been able to get into anything TMNT related since the 90s cartoon and movies. Except for the 2007 TMNT movie which I enjoyed. I haven't seen the new one yet at all. Nor have I ever watched any of the newer cartoons that came about. Also, I have never read a comic book in my life.

Watch the Nickelodeon cartoon. Now. Start from the beginning. Now. So good. I agree with everything you said, watch the current Nickelodeon version. So good.

Tizoc

wat

OKoBuTd.png

Which, ironically enough, was 100x less effective than normal Shredder. Complete disappointment.

Funnily enough Super Shredder would be used well in the video games.

I still love this movie. I remember quite well seeing it in the movie theater. It really is underrated as a comic book film. I'd probably put it up there with the best comic book films coming out today.

Oh, and I gave my little nephew a high five when he said he liked this one over the Michael Bay atrocity. Cowabunga, little dude!

Scavenger

^Wise man say, forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza.

Please let us know how the video quality of them are please.
TMNT I & II unfortunately don't look so good. All three live action films are sharpened and filtered. Sadly of the three live action films the third one looks the best on Blu-ray. The CGI film looks pretty good. The US Warner Bros release is still worth picking up though because it doesn't look like there will be a better looking version in the nearby future.

The German region B locked releases of the three live action films look worse than the US Warner Bros release, but unlike the US release all three films have an audio commentary track.

Avoid the UK release of the three films at all cost. The trilogy set has all three films in 1080i50 with bad compression. The UK individual release of the first film is in 24p, but also suffers from bad compression.

I loved the original movie when I was a kid. I think I saw it more than once while it was at the local movie theatre.

The puppetry is god tier.

Henson's best probably

It is definitely their best work at that point in time for sure. Though personally, my favorite piece of puppeteering that they did in a movie will always be Audry II from Little Shop of Horrors.

I still wish 2 had Bebop and Rocksteady instead of new characters. Also, leaving Krang out was probably a good idea given how it would have looked on the big screen compared to a cartoon. Though a big screen Technodrome would have blown our child minds back then.

Apparently they didn't use any characters from the original animated series because of the way the character rights were distributed back then. New Line Cinemas only had the rights to use characters that were created for the 1984 comic book and didn't have access to the ones that were being used exclusively in the 1987 animated series.

But they did talk about using Bebop and Rocksteady in the sequel, which was something that Eastman and Laird vetoed. Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird were always more invested in the original comic book universe than the 1987 universe, so maybe they did try to push to keep the material as close to their original comic book as possible. Which it did for the most part. So many scenes from the 1990 movie were taken right out of the original comic series, Like Raphael meting Casey Jones, the farm thing , the battle in Aprils pawn shop or whatever, and the final fight on the roof.

wat

OKoBuTd.png

Regular Shredder: Falls into the back of a garbage truck, gets crushed (which was Casey Jones doing... "Oops") and lives.
Super Shredder: Gets crushed by some wood planks and dies.

It makes perfect sense to me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Watch the Nickelodeon cartoon. Now. Start from the beginning. Now. So good. I agree with everything you said, watch the current Nickelodeon version. So good.
It's on my list.

Apparently they didn't use any characters from the original animated series because of the way the character rights were distributed back then. New Line Cinemas only had the rights to use characters that were created for the 1984 comic book and didn't have access to the ones that were being used exclusively in the 1987 animated series.

But they did talk about using Bebop and Rocksteady in the sequel, which was something that Eastman and Laird vetoed. Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird were always more invested in the original comic book universe than the 1987 universe, so maybe they did try to push to keep the material as close to their original comic book as possible. Which it did for the most part. So many scenes from the 1990 movie were taken right out of the original comic series, Like Raphael meting Casey Jones, the farm thing , the battle in Aprils pawn shop or whatever, and the final fight on the roof.
Bebop and Rocksteady would have been awesome. I loved their characters. They'd have been more entertaining than the childlike Tokka and Rhaza (sp?) we got.

It is definitely their best work at that point in time for sure. Though personally, my favorite piece of puppeteering that they did in a movie will always be Audry II from Little Shop of Horrors.
Agreed! I love Little Shop (I even bought the soundtrack) and if you showed me that movie today I'd swear the plant was CGI. It's so damn good. The fluid animation of mouths and other body parts they were able to do back then without computer aid is mind-blowing. I was so happy when I learned they were using puppets in the Hitchhikers Guide movie 10 years ago too. (So sad we didn't get a second movie.)

Mupod

I saw it in theatres, the first movie I ever saw opening night since I would not shut up about it from the day I heard about it. Loved every minute of it, I actually was somewhat familiar with the comics even back then as for some reason there was a TMNT trade paperback in the school library. As a kid I consumed all turtles-related media with a rabid passion but I liked the darker comic stuff a lot more. So the movie being kind of a combination of the comics and cartoon was right up my alley.

One thing though, I swear there was a scene in the version I saw in theatres that didn't make it to video. It was when the turtles were hiding out on the farm, as some kind of training exercise the other 3 turtles had to fight Leo. And Leo was blindfolded, I think he just turned his bandanna around or something. He kicked all their asses, and that's why he became my favorite turtle at the time. There's no way I'm just making this up because I remember it in vivid detail but I never saw it again outside of the theatre.

The title did confuse me too but once I saw the photo in the OP I knew what it was referring to.

It is interesting how the TMNT fandom never came up with a designation to distinguish between the formats. Star Trek came up with TOS, Transformers has G1, Tim Burton's Batman movie is called Batman 89, etc. But TMNT never got any mark to differentiate between the comics, cartoon, and film.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I saw it in theatres, the first movie I ever saw opening night since I would not shut up about it from the day I heard about it. Loved every minute of it, I actually was somewhat familiar with the comics even back then as for some reason there was a TMNT trade paperback in the school library. As a kid I consumed all turtles-related media with a rabid passion but I liked the darker comic stuff a lot more. So the movie being kind of a combination of the comics and cartoon was right up my alley.

One thing though, I swear there was a scene in the version I saw in theatres that didn't make it to video. It was when the turtles were hiding out on the farm, as some kind of training exercise the other 3 turtles had to fight Leo. And Leo was blindfolded, I think he just turned his bandanna around or something. He kicked all their asses, and that's why he became my favorite turtle at the time. There's no way I'm just making this up because I remember it in vivid detail but I never saw it again outside of the theatre.

Was that not in the VHS release... it definitely happened.

Raph was still my favorite, but that was a cool scene. I feel like that was in the video though.

Tizoc

One thing that needs to be said about the first film it's family theme: Compare the turtles and splinter with Danny and his dad, and then with how Shredder and the children he's gathered are.

Novocaine

I remember enjoying the movie a lot when I was young, but I haven't seen it for maybe 20 years? Maybe it's a good time to go back and check it out. I did try and rewatch some of the cartoon not long ago and that was kind of garbage.

jett

D-Member
I don't think this movie is any good at my age these days, but I enjoyed all three movies when I was a little kid. I may have liked Ooze the best due to Super Shredder haha.

Nick Turtles is best Turtles.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Was obsessed with this (and everything turtles) when younger... unfortunately didn't think it held up well in a recent rewatch though.

Not as bad as rewatching that Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie... *shudders*... but yeah it hasn't aged particularly well imo.

jett

D-Member
Was obsessed with this (and everything turtles) when younger... unfortunately didn't think it held up well in a recent rewatch though.

Not as bad as rewatching that Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie... *shudders*... but yeah it hasn't aged particularly well imo.

Haha yeah... Man I loved that movie as a kid. At least I got through all of TMNT. :p

Tomorrow AVGN and Nostalgia Critic are going to tear the 2014 movie apart. Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE9NOgcGQOw

This made me laugh:
ibbFg0cW3W2ZuP.gif

Also best Casey Jones to date still.

Yup, and this Casey Jones is the template for all other versions of the character that followed. He was the only good part of Turtles III as well.

The movie also has the definitive version of Rafael as well. In the original cartoon series Raphael was nothing more than a sarcastic one note mouth piece for the writers, and he really didn't serve any other purpose as a character outside of that. This movie turned him into the angsty loner that he is much more commonly known as being.

MisterHero

Off in the distance
the game's dragging on
there's strikes on the batter
some runners are on

And suddenly everyone's looking at me
my mind has been wonderin' "what it could be?"
they point to the sky
and I look above
and a baseball falls right into my gloove

I play right field
it's important to know
you gotta know how to catch
you gotta know how to throw

That's why I play in right field
way out where the dandelions grooooow

tmnt_familynczcx.jpg

276264_fullyyu3y.jpg

fuck that 2014 movie. The Nickelodeon movie COULD HAVE been better, they just don't have the vision for it.

Off in the distance
the game's dragging on
there's strikes on the batter
some runners are on

And suddenly everyone's looking at me
my mind has been wonderin' "what it could be?"
they point to the sky
and I look above
and a baseball falls right into my gloove

I play right field
it's important to know
you gotta know how to catch
you gotta know how to throw

That's why I play in right field
way out where the dandelions grooooow

tmnt_familynczcx.jpg

276264_fullyyu3y.jpg

fuck that 2014 movie. The Nickelodeon movie COULD HAVE been better, they just don't have the vision for it.

This is the greatest post.

Edit: Didn't see the bottom part, I'm a big fan of the 2012 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom