• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KojiPro expunge continues - Logo erased from Silent Hills website

Pretty minor in the grand scheme of all that's going on, but

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/silent-hills-pt-website-removes-kojima-productions/1100-6426298/

Amid reports of Hideo Kojima's strained relationship with Konami, the Kojima Productions logo has been removed from the Silent Hills/P.T. website, leading to questions about the state of the game and the involvement of Kojima himself. Originally, the Kojima Productions logo was featured on the bottom-left corner of the page. However, it's no longer there, with only the Fox Engine logo remaining (see below).

We reached out to Konami to ask about this change and what it might mean for the game, which Kojima is working on with Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro and The Walking Dead actor Norman Reedus.

When asked for a status update for Silent Hills, including what studio might be working on it and whether or not Kojima and del Toro are still attached to the project, this is what we heard back:

"Konami has switched from a studio-based to a headquarters-based organization, so [Kojima Productions] wouldn't be listed as a studio anymore. At this time, there are no additional updates to share."

Just because Konami isn't ready to share more details about Silent Hills doesn't necessarily mean the project is in trouble. However, with a source telling GameSpot that Kojima will leave Konami after development on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain wraps up later this year, it does bring up questions about the game's fate.

We'll continue to monitor this story as it unfolds.

Previously, Konami removed the Kojima Productions logo from official artwork for The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes. The company also struck a line that read "A Hideo Kojima Game" from marketing materials for both titles. The developer's Twitter account has also since been effectively shut down.

Silent Hills was originally revealed at Gamescom 2014 as horror game P.T. ("playable teaser"), which was launched as a free PlayStation 4 demo on the PlayStation Store with almost no explanation as to what it was. Kojima later said that he wanted to make Silent Hills so scary that it will "make you sh*t your pants." He even joked at the time that the limited edition for Silent Hills would come with a fresh pair of pants.

BibiMaghoo

noplaceforhideo.jpg

Is this as ludicrously unpopular of a decision in Japan as it is here? I don't think I have ever seen a company get so much hate from players. People have legitimate moral and ethical qualms with what they've done.

Can someone explain to me the animosity between Konami and Kojima at the moment? I must have missed the thread that explained what happened.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Not a surprise considering that KojiPro as a company no longer exists by that name, right? Or was that just the LA studio? But still... bitterly disappointing. Kojima and crew have pulled off some fantastic mindfucks in otherwise non-horror titles. I was super eager to see what depths he would search for in the human mind after the great showing of PT.

Nzyme32

So silent hills sucks now?

Nope. Just like I'll say the same about Metal Gear.

It certainly won't be the same as it could have been with Hideo and Kojipro - but that doesn't mean Konami couldn't create a good game out of either. It simply means they will assuredly be different. When Konami make the games and they (hypothetically) are shit, then sure, I'd be more inclined to believe they will be terrible moving forward without any changes going forward

DrKelpo

Banned
I never felt that way, especially with Kojima being attached.

the way p.t. was presented and introduced was simply amazing. and although i dont like some of del toros movies, it seemed to me that he and kojima actually were able to take the franchise back to its former glory after so many mediocre or bad installments.

_woLf

I still don't understand how the Konami board of directors think that this is doing anything positive for their business.

Fantasmo

Good job Konami. Let's see how Silent Hills does without Kojima. And let's see if I even consider a purchase after MGS5.

spookyfish

"You know that differentiator which is one of the reasons you guys really like our games?

"Yeah, we don't have that anymore."

A Hideo Kojima game...

I'd be ok if platinum did ZOE3, but Kojima is the one who pushed for Platinum for revengeance in the first place.

Konami will probably make mecurysteam do rising 2 and zoe3. -_-

Yeah, to be honest I don't know that Konami will be able to do justice to any of Kojima's brainchildren. I mean, what was the last non-Kojima Konami game? Lord of Shadows 2? I liked Lord of Shadows 1, but it was Castlevania in name only.

Hopefully Kojima starts his own company and gets to work on whatever he damn well pleases.

mclem

I guess the good news here is that that would suggest that Silent Hills is still a thing.

Just trying to get any scant hope I can out of the situation.

Lightning

Banned
I still don't understand how the Konami board of directors think that this is doing anything positive for their business.
It could very well be their first steps from removing themselves from console gaming in general. If they intend to continue with console gaming then these steps are weird indeed removing Kojima Prod logos who are very popular with the fans who's money you want.

Top Bottom