• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial "interactive streaming series" Silent Hill: Ascension lays out how it's tackling fan feedback in new update

killatopak

Silent Hill fans, in dismay, said Ascension made “the pachinko game look like a heartfelt passion project.” The complaints were mainly aimed at wonky online infrastructure, annoying microtransactions, and a live chat that’s somehow both unmoderated and sometimes over-moderated. You couldn’t type “Hideo Kojima” into the chat, for example.

In a recent social media post, Genvid announced that some community complaints would be addressed soon: “We hear and appreciate our community’s feedback and are constantly working to improve your Silent Hill: Ascension experience.” The team is currently tuning Rallies, updating the Fate system, and improving the video player and server connection.

The team also promises that future updates are in the pipeline, but we’ll need to wait for the Wednesday night post-shows to get information about what’s next for Konami’s latest controversial joint.

https://www.gamesradar.com/controve...WwJVTZg_1YGoBZLPU0c9o3PxdSKUHXTCoWsJPHRZXk2nw

They must fucking hate Kojima still lol.

SJRB

Gold Member
“Hey Silent Hill fans, we’re changing the ingredients of our shit sandwich based on your feedback. We’ll reduce the amount of diarrhoea and increase the amount of dogshit. And what about that amazing amount of elephant excrement! So rich of flavour! Exciting time for lifelong fans”

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Very much looking forward to this, and all the other shit Konami are producing for Silent Hill, crashing and burning as it deserves to do. Horrible company, and hopefully one day soon they'll go under, and somebody else will buy the rights to SH.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Cracking Up Lol GIF

BlueLyria

Oh, I forgot about it within 3 days, might go back and look at how inept they are with this franchise, even the divisive western SH games are 1000% better.
Here's to hoping they won't fuck up SH2 and SH F

StueyDuck

There is only one silent Hill that really stands a chance of being any good and that's townfall by no code.

If that also ends up bad then we can definitively say Konami should just fuck off and leave gaming alone

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I tried. The whole experience just feels bad. I imagine this will be quietly cancelled at some point.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Maybe they should make an actual Silent Hill game instead. Last good Silent Hill was easily 3.

But given their comment I don't think that is happening. They may "hear" you but they most certainly aren't "listening".

tommib

There are two 1 hour episodes on the Bravia Core app. I survived 10 minutes. It looks choppy and like a tutorial on 3D animation. Nothing about it tells me it’s Silent Hill. It’s some amateurish made for YouTube low-budget shortcuts made in Unity with voice-overs from your high-school friends. Top all that with some turbo-generic horror and no sense of atmosphere.

It’s pretty impressive how Konami just doesn’t get their own franchise. They’re clueless. It’s hopeless to think they’ll ever know what Silent Hill means for the fans.

MiguelItUp

I don't understand why they thought this was a good idea in the first place. Let alone that they think they can save it, lmao.

Bruh. Silent Hill 4 may not be best in series, but it was good.
Yeah, to each their own, really. SH4 was very different. I personally don't think it was bad at all, it just contained bold changes that not everyone was into. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It's my least favorite of the original games, but that's not saying I thought it was bad or poor.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't understand why they thought this was a good idea in the first place. Let alone that they think they can save it, lmao.

Yeah, to each their own, really. SH4 was very different. I personally don't think it was bad at all, it just contained bold changes that not everyone was into. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It's my least favorite of the original games, but that's not saying I thought it was bad or poor.
Game wasn't bad. Everything that came after it was worse. But I think the big offenders is Book of Memories and now this Streaming thing they are so desperate to sell and it just isn't.

So happy I still have Fatal Frame as a Horror Series.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This whole game is a social experiment for when SH2 remake comes out, people will say "see, at least it's not as bad as Ascension, right guys?"

RagnarokIV

Can somone, in plain buzzword-free English, explain what this thing is? I still don't get it, even after watching clips.

Fake

Is impressive how in this generation companies/devs don't accept that consumers can hate something and call whatever people don't like 'controversial'.

They really love to push this mentality.

At this point I can just assume that companies/devs hired some expensive psychologists to try counter every negative from fans and to push this ideia of 'you are wrong, we are right'.

Last edited:

kikii

There is only one silent Hill that really stands a chance of being any good and that's townfall by no code.

If that also ends up bad then we can definitively say Konami should just fuck off and leave gaming alone
noo F is the one =)

SJRB

Gold Member
Can somone, in plain buzzword-free English, explain what this thing is? I still don't get it, even after watching clips.

It's basically an episodic show where viewers can "vote" at specific moments to dictate what characters in the show will do.

However, the entire thing is rife with microtransactions to improve your voting "power", multiple tiers of voting "power", super weird stickers you can put on the screen (at a price of course), all sorts of dumb shit to get you to spend money. Not to mention the choices are almost guaranteed not actually decided by vote because there is zero chance they'd actually create all the scenes for all possible outcomes.

And to top it all of the show is dogshit. The story makes no sense, it is poorly produced, poorly acted, poor graphics. It's all just a giant money farm while abusing the content-starved fanbase of a longtime cherished IP.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Konami, listen. I dont care about these generic characters and their stories.

1-news-silent-hill-ascension-all-6-character-posters-officially-revealed.jpg

When these were very well written and charming characters.

Characters_of_Silent_Hill%2C_Silent_Hill_2%2C_and_Silent_Hill_3.jpg

And i incluided Silent hill 4, Origins.

RagnarokIV

It's basically an episodic show where viewers can "vote" at specific moments to dictate what characters in the show will do.

However, the entire thing is rife with microtransactions to improve your voting "power", multiple tiers of voting "power", super weird stickers you can put on the screen (at a price of course), all sorts of dumb shit to get you to spend money. Not to mention the choices are almost guaranteed not actually decided by vote because there is zero chance they'd actually create all the scenes for all possible outcomes.

And to top it all of the show is dogshit. The story makes no sense, it is poorly produced, poorly acted, poor graphics. It's all just a giant money farm while abusing the content-starved fanbase of a longtime cherished IP.

Fucken hell, it's like some Paul Verhoeven satire ad.

To go from this (SH1 spoiler)

To get ya fucken wallet out!!

StueyDuck

noo F is the one =)

while i do like the aesthetic and apparently the writer is someone who writes good stuff from what people say.

i just struggle to get excited for a chinese support studio heading up a mainline SH game. The studio gives me no reason to be interested so that one i am more reserved on being excited about.

NoCode however i've played both of their bigger budget games and they both just ooze personality and atmosphere (and they are fairly unique games instead of your run of the mill PT clones) and my favorite part is them admitting that people found their games scary (i kind of see why, i didn't think they were, more thrilling for me) and they weren't even trying to be scary so imagining what they could do with an IP like SH is exciting (again if Konami doesn't intervene too much and fuck it up)

Last edited:
Top Bottom