• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus "Game Audio & Goods" survey [now closed]

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Since I know a lot of people care about dual audio, Atlus released a quick survey (about a minute or two) about how you feel about language audio, your preference, & if you'd prefer dual audio or a different type of bonus (OST, artbook, etc.)

Go ahead and let them know what you think.

Nyoro SF

My thoughts: I shouldn't have to pay extra to get dual audio. It should be part of the featureset.

That being said, filled out the survey, and I hope this convinces them for Persona 5 dual audio.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I selected preference for dual audio but I'm cool with English sans some annoying things but having the option to shut off voices entirely should always be there regardless of audio language.
Bonus points to VNs for letting you shut off individual character voices.

ohlawd

sorry, GAF

welp, cropped mess hehehe

sorry8oxeq.png

srry20lz3a.png

Dual audio is like a standard thing now among these niche games unless you're Atlus, so it's a little disconcerting to see this survey asking how much extra I'd be willing to pay for that standard feature. Couple this with Atlus ratcheting up the price of their 3DS games (and only their 3DS games), and I'm envisioning a future where I quickly sour on this company.

Andrefpvs

I'd rather have a good dub (like some of Atlus's games) than dual audio, but I can see why some people want the original VA as an option. Especially since the two aren't mutually exclusive.

I found the question about whether we'd rather have dual audio or physical rewards interesting -- almost implying we can only have one or the other with their budget.

MLH

Give up soundtrack & artbooks for dual audio? I would, but that's because Europe never get the physical extras but would benefit from Dual Audio.
Answered the questions honestly, dual audio has never been a deal breaker for me. Sometimes it's nice, I would have preferred it in SMT IV since I hated the English VAs & the Japanese did sound better to me. But I thought Persona 4 was great, I couldn't imagine replaying using Japanese VAs for that game, everyone would sound weird.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hate this kind of thing...i don't really mind english voice acting being the only option if its well voiced and directed. The Persona games for example were pretty decent.

On the other hand, i do prefer Japanese dub if there's an option, and it does give me some incentive to pre order a game i was going to already buy, cause the dev put in the thought to think of those who like dual audio..

My conundrum is i don't know what messages i'm really giving by participating in the poll...

I knew for sure though that i cant stand paid DLC VA packs like SE does. Just put it in the full game or dont bother. Just skeevy

Squishy3

Make sure to include you want actual OST CDs and not "composer's pick" CDs or whatever the fuck they call them.

Oh, no field for that. Of course.

vocab

So on top of the atlus tax, they want to experiment with dual audio costing extra /japanese language track as dlc.

Taking a page out of the good old square enix book. God damnit.

If you had to choose one audio, which language would you choose?

[X] English

Is dual audio important to you?

[X] No

Given the choice between the addition of dual audio and the standard bonus items (such as soundtrack and artbook), which would you prefer?

[X] Standard bonus item (duh)

I am more likely to buy a game if it has dual audio.

[X] No

is this like even a choice. jeez!

Bio-Frost

If I have a choice ill always choose English audio. Ill play with subs if i have to but only if its the last option(same with anime for me) Would much rather that money go towards bonus items.

kadotsu

Banned
So on top of the atlus tax, they want to experiment with dual audio costing extra /japanese language track as dlc.

Taking a page out of the good old square enix book. God damnit.

For me $10-15 DLC is preferable to praying the console will be hacked and have an undub.

Nyoro SF

Do not sacrifice bonus items or English audio quality for Dual Audio.

As if the bonus items are of any worth.
The Persona Ultimax preorder stuff was pure junk.
Physical bonuses are temporary items, game quality options are forever.

"Sacrifice English audio quality" lol

For me $10-15 DLC is preferable to praying the console will be hacked and have an undub.

Other companies big and small offer dual audio with no issue. Atlus is one of the stubborn few, it's them who should change, not the consumer that should pay.

Prelude.

"How much extra (in USD) would you be willing to pay for a second language audio track as DLC?"
Hah, you motherfuckers. You really can't do it like anyone else, eh?

But yes, atlus, I'm not buying your games because there's no japanese track, if that's what you want to know. Now go back and put it in Lost Dimension, thanks.

FluxWaveZ

Yep, I'm part of the "don't really care about dual audio" crowd. Sorry, I know it matters a lot for some people, but I don't really care as dubs are fine, for the most part. Even when they're less than fine, I prefer to understand what I'm hearing.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I want it all:

-dual audio for a choice on everyone
-shouldn't have to pay extra for both
-I also want my bonus goodies

Can't win, wven with Atlus Tax.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Dual audio all the way, fuck crappy trinkets. There is no excuse when even a shit company like S-E put up JP audio for whatever lightning game it was for free for 1 or 2 weeks as a download.

I mean, in the past years, even Nintendo, Nintendo, has been adding japanese audio to some of their games in their western releases.

But it's hilarious to see Atlus ask how much extra we'd pay, fucking scumbags. But i'm not surprised, are they still doing the atlus tax on their 3DS games ?

I'd much rather they focus on other stuff than dealing with dual audio.

If it's the only way to get a game released I'd take Japanese language but I usually dislike it a lot, I'd probably prefer no voices.

mankoto

I really want dual audio, but saying that there will only be one or the other isn't cool. I'm sure they have it within their means to do both. If it really comes down to it, I wouldn't pay for more than $5 max for it as DLC

kadotsu

Banned
Other companies big and small offer dual audio with no issue. Atlus is one of the stubborn few, it's them who should change, not the consumer that should pay.

I know, the gaming industries approach to localization is stuck in the VHS days. But it's a niche product and we are stuck Atlus USA as the localizer so any incentive they get for dual audio is good. Right now I would drop about $30 for the original audio track for Golden, but that's me and maybe 200 other people.

But I find it pretty telling that Square Enix started dual audio experiments with LR and Drakengard 3 and is now all in on dual audio. It must make financial sense for them.

Charge for bonus items and/or dual audio? lol

One way or another you end up paying for the things a developer puts into a game. Whether or not that's directly messaged in the pricing structure is a different matter.

Japanese audio is overrated by the fans who insist on it.

Producer

I'm not expecting much from this anyway, hopefully SMTxFE will have dual audio since nintendo is publishing. When even Nintendo is better at the dual audio game than you, you know you done fucked up lol

Nudull

Banned
I like having options, and there are some games I do enjoy more with Japanese audio, so I'm hoping that Atlus will listen to the fans on this.

Top Bottom