• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"He shot me! He shot me, man. Oh, my god. I’m losing my breath” Cop: Fuck your breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-man-shot-deputy-meant-stun-article-1.2181787
Video at the link.

It was a mistake.

That’s the blasé explanation Oklahoma officials gave after the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man by a white deputy who accidentally pulled his gun when he meant to use his Taser.

The botched encounter was captured on a disturbing video released by police on Friday — nine days after the fatal Tulsa shooting.

“He shot me! He shot me, man. Oh, my god. I’m losing my breath,” Eric Harris says as he struggles on the ground following the April 2 shooting, which flew under the radar until video emerged a week later.

“Fuck your breath,” a callous officer can be heard saying. “Shut the fuck up!”
Reserve Deputy Robert Bates, 73, (below) shouted “Taser! Taser!” before pulling the trigger on his gun, firing a round into Harris.

“I shot him!” the former policeman says, dropping his gun. “I’m sorry.”

Bates was assisting other deputies who were trying to take Harris into custody after the felon fled from police during a sting operation, the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office’s said.

“You shouldn’t have fucking ran!” another deputy screams, as Harris is held down by his neck and head.

Who trains these people?!

Link

The Autumn Wind
I've pretty much reached the point where I have no reason to trust a cop any more than any other random person with a gun. They've lost all benefit of the doubt by now.

"I shot him. I'm sorry."

Like it somehow absolves him of the shooting he just committed seconds ago.

It's the cop version of No Homo.

Oaktree

Banned
All these stories of these fucking cops are killing me because when you are fucking INJURED it is NOT a natural reaction to just lay there in pain and cops use this as a way to justify resisting and hurt you even more. Jesus christ.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Tulsa has some history in this area.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
*sigh

the OP article even includes the standard shit post reply:
“You shouldn’t have fucking ran!” another deputy screams, as Harris is held down by his neck and head."

It's like the articles are automatically completing themselves now.

It seems like shooting the man was a tragic, genuine mistake by an old guy that should no longer have a badge. His age has probably caught up with him.

With that said, what the fuck? There is no excuse for "fuck your breath" and "you shouldn't have fucking ran" ... assholes.

Reserve Deputy Robert Bates, 73, (below) shouted “Taser! Taser!” before pulling the trigger on his gun, firing a round into Harris.

So it's not enough shooting people in the back, choking them to death, power abusing cops in schools, not that's not enough, now you have 73yo reserve cops who are given access to a gun and can't get off by apologising?

The fuck is wrong with you, America?

Seriously, what the fuck?

Log4Girlz

So it's not enough shooting people in the back, choking them to death, power abusing cops in schools, not that's not enough, now you have 73yo reserve cops who are given access to a gun and can't get off by apologising?

The fuck is wrong with you, America?

Seriously, what the fuck?

On a whole, America hates black people and always has. From slavery on down to the institutional racism and just constant slaughter by police today. Not saying everyone, but as a whole, collectively, we subjugate african americans.

J10

Banned
It wasn't enough to just shit on us for half a millennium. Now we have to get our lives punked on camera while the country shrugs and tells us it's our own fault. What a time to be alive.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It should be stated for neutrality that he was selling a gun and ammo to an undercover cop. He shouldn't have been and it is obvious the deputy is way too old and should not be on duty.

That was an accident that he needs to be accountable for. A taser and gun do not feel the same in the slightest.

That was an accident but the other cops exhibited poor behavior when dealing with a suspect that didn't appear armed and was shot now laying on the ground, not from the result of attacking an officer, but from an accident. They should not have been yelling at him like that, kneeing his face into the pavement, or being callous to a very serious thing like the inability to breath.

On a whole, America hates black people and always has. From slavery on down to the institutional racism and just constant slaughter by police today. Not saying everyone, but as a whole, collectively, we subjugate african americans.

As an outsider looking it, it's not that hard to believe. I guess the argument about selective reporting could be made, but it seems more often than not, it's primarily black people who are being shot in the back, choked, on the receiving of excessive violence.

Makes one wonder if no lessons were learnt from the civil rights movement. How much focus is there on African American history in schools? Seems that might be a good place to start to tackle some of these issues.

Yagharek

It was a mistake?

The only mistake was letting that cop keep his job. No excuses for yet another murder.

Maybe there should be a version of 'the talk' for white Americans. "Don't shoot anyone".

Part of me thinks that the cop is full of shit and knew exactly what he was doing.

He was 73, likely was a cop for a long fucking time. He should know the different between a taser and an actual fucking gun if he's doing active armed field duty. The fact that he even shouted "taser taser" before shooting the guy and then ACTUALLY FUCKING SAID FUCK YOUR BREATH TO HIM makes me think he shouted taser specifically so he could fucking shoot someone and go "Oh whoops sorry my bad I'm old I thought it was my taser".

I hate that I can have thoughts and feelings like this towards cops because they're supposed to protect us and I used to have so much respect for police in general but it's just too much anymore. I know there are still genuinely good cops out there but the system is so fucked.

The actual article is about 5x as awful as the blurb. They call him a threat, and will not conduct an investigation unless asked to? Wtf is that? How in the world does anyone mistake a pistol for a taser, and then "oops" is enough to get away with it?

soepje

.. Well at least he apologized...?

Seriously, there is so much wrong with this. Interesting the police released the video though.

As an outsider looking it, it's not that hard to believe. I guess the argument about selective reporting could be made, but it seems more often than not, it's primarily black people who are being shot in the back, choked, on the receiving of excessive violence.

Makes one wonder if no lessons were learnt from the civil rights movement. How much focus is there on African American history in schools? Seems that might be a good place to start to tackle some of these issues.

We got the whole moth of February!
Shortest month of the year of course

Which is silly anyway because our history is American history, they just don't feel like updating the curriculum. Every February I learn something new that would have been awesome to learn as part of my education, but oh well.

He's 73...

I know he's reserve but still. Way too old to be doing law enforcement work imo.

Wouldn't surprise me if the old man whips out a banana instead of a gun if he's in this scenario again.

The cop who said "Fuck your breath" wasn't the old guy tho - but what an asshole. And why are pinning a guy down whose been shot? You think he's going to start shooting bullets from his wounds?

hwateber

Before Bates was a reserve deputy, he served one year — from 1964 to 1965 — as a police officer, according to Tulsa police.

So this guy served one actual year and spent the rest of the time since 1965 as an "advanced" reserve deputy? That's a load of shit that you get put on the reserve just for donating shit. Paying to play cop. smh

Lime

"Sgt. Dave Walker told the Tulsa World that police “would not investigate the death unless the sheriff’s office asked them to, and they have not asked us to.”

Fuck the police

Kettch

Oscar Grant's killer got 2 years for the same thing, except he was already handcuffed. Don't expect there to be much accountability, if any.

Lime

They other cops should be indicted as well. Putting your knee on someone's head? What the fuck is wrong with US cops?

Trojita

Watching the video, you can't exactly see the victim seconds before the shots were fired, but based on what the cop was saying and what happened before the victim went off camera, the dude seem to have been tackled or forced to the ground. The officer clearly states "Roll onto your stomach" which would indicate that he was likely on his back. Right after that the shots are fired. Clearly a taser shouldn't have been even used as the victim was not a potential harm to officers or resisting arrest on the ground. The bumbling 73 year old deputy, who was deputized because of the many donations he has given to the police department, clearly did not what to do in this situation to begin with.

Jesus fucking Christ! He was buying his seat as a reserve policeman. This is literally an old white man paying the police so he can pretend to be one, even gets a gun and everything.

You really can buy anything in America. Unbelievable.

Trojita

I read a report before that there is this one department that has hundreds of reserve deputies, some out of state even, because it allows those people to bypass gun laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom