• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X Day 1 Patch [probably DOESN'T decrease token rate]

Understood. I apologize once again to everyone.

I'm just looking for answers myself so I'll be open about it. I'll also go delete my tweet about it.
It's all good; there are some questionable things I'm not exactly pleased about myself, and I don't blame others who are wary of being cheated out of a game experience they paid good money for. Sorry if I came off a little frustrated or it sounded like I was chiding you. I just want us to all be one big happy MK family.
Turned out there were two threads about this, was looking for an earlier reply of mine and no luck. :p

Anyway, was going to add in there that the previous gane was also like this (or at least I remember that on 360, PS3 and Vita). You earn less currency when you replay story mode. The patch seems fixed a glitch that allowed players to earn 2,500 every time they beat the last fight.

Keeping in mind that you can skip fights too, so doing that won't earn you anything. So it was done I guess so that people didn't grinded around that (you can also skip cutscenes).

Also keeping in mind that the story mode in this one, is the result of complaints over the previous ones.

2011: Unskippable cutscenes, some felt it was too long at nearly 10 hours, 1 vs.2 fights, cheap difficulty (and cheaper final boss).

2015: Skippable cutscenes, faster paced story nearly 4 hours long, 1 vs. 1 fights only, balanced difficulty, skippable fights too if you find them too difficult.

Fighting off against multiple enemies definitely extended the hours for some. The last boss took me a good while to cheese, and like you mentioned is something they took notice of. Trimming that fat is much better than the illusion of more kontent.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Dinner's ready

eating-crow.jpg

Karak

Now I wonder if the media will backtrack on their articles...

I was in contact with a couple who firmly do not believe this is the end of it and say they have proof of something along the lines of the original reports. Remember one Redditer posted but some Streamers were complaining of things as well(that's how some of us heard and found this thread).
I stepped away once I figured out there were hidden modifiers that changed in the patch without warning, its too convoluted to know whats up especially being surprised as I was with the Press Y to Goro DLC and other poor choices. But I am interested to see what people report.

ship it

Yes. We've grown accustomed to expecting to be nickel and dimed to death.

no doubt strengthening your ability to make justifications for unreasonable reactions

and lets not forget this champion of wtf:

This was a love letter from the gaming industry sent directly to chumps who pre-order games.

It's like people carry their soapbox in their pockets just waiting for any excuse these days

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Damn , yall should go back and read some of the shit you were saying back on page one and two.

Don't believe everything on the internet 101.

bumpkin

Well, every time the system tells me the update is downloading, I tap the PS button, go into Downloads and cancel it. I'll keep doing so until either I finish story mode or we have concrete confirmation that it doesn't nerf rewards. :D

I'm up to chapter 7 and I'm really digging it! The story mode feels like it has much better pacing than MK9's did, even if it's got the press-A-to-win prompts here and there. I do like that it's not game over if you miss one, and that missing one simply changes how a scene plays out. I have no idea how it ends if you don't screw it up, but
Sonya calmly spreading Quan Chi's legs before stomping on his junk is probably ten times better than a curb stomp would have been!

no doubt strengthening your ability to make justifications for unreasonable reactions

and lets not forget this champion of wtf:

It's like people carry their soapbox in their pockets just waiting for any excuse these days

Dude, screwing over gamers has become so routine today that people just come to expect it.

Theur may have been a knee-jerk reponse, but that is only because that knee usually ends up slamming into our balls.

jfoul

I took screenshots before and after the patch. There is an obvious decrease inn koins.

I've played for about three hours and have unlocked a decent amount of the krypt. Getting that many coins would fully unlock the krypt ridiculously fast.

I took screenshots before and after the patch. There is an obvious decrease inn koins.

Unless you controlled for the fact that completing things multiple times decreases the drop rate (i.e. wiping saves and starting fresh after patch) then you're not telling us anything that we didn't already know. Which as far as we can tell, is independent of the patch. Some people suggested there was a glitch where this applied to everything EXCEPT the final boss prior to the patch, and after the patch it applies to everything including the final boss.

odin9450

Unless you controlled for the fact that completing things multiple times decreases the drop rate (i.e. wiping saves and starting fresh after patch) then you're not telling us anything that we didn't already know. Which as far as we can tell, is independent of the patch. Some people suggested there was a glitch where this applied to everything EXCEPT the final boss prior to the patch, and after the patch it applies to everything including the final boss.

I didn't wipe the saves. I just selected the last chapter from the story before and after the patch. The save didn't get deleted.

I didn't wipe the saves. I just selected the last chapter from the story before and after the patch. The save didn't get deleted.

Right, that's the point. We have people on GAF who have tested the final boss fight first attempt after patch and got the same 2500 koins that you get before the patch. If you re-do the fight a second or third time, you get far fewer koins than you do the first time you did it. This doesn't just apply to the final boss, but the story mode as a whole (unsure if it happens in other game modes).

Right, that's the point. We have people on GAF who have tested the final boss fight first attempt after patch and got the same 2500 koins that you get before the patch. If you re-do the fight a second or third time, you get far fewer koins than you do the first time you did it. This doesn't just apply to the final boss, but the story mode as a whole (unsure if it happens in other game modes).

but even so, 2500 to 75? Even if this is the case, thats a HUGE decrease.

We need something concrete though. We need a gaffer to wipe their save, beat the game pre patch, and then apply the patch and beat the game.

When i beat the game earlier today, I didnt get the 2500, i got 1000 koins. This is post patch. Anyone else got different?

Blue Steel Sub-Zero is still fair as "a portion of the proceeds will go towards funding the Mortal Kombat X Who’s Next Tournament Prize Pool."

So i'm good with that, it's like those E-sports crates in Counter-Strike.

Memory

This is why i dont trust hysteriaGAF, its always best to wait til the rational people start posting real info because theres always a bunch of people swearing something is true without even testing it, hell half the time people dont even own the game let alone the console lol.

OrochiJR

So basically the best method to clear this issue up would be:

1) Start a new savegame without the patch.
2) Beat the story mode 2 times to get an estimate on how many koins are given out and if the amount is reduced even without the patch.
3) Erase the save/ and start the game from scratch with the patch.
4) Again beat story 2 times to get an estimate on how many koins are earned, now with the patch.

vg260

Blue Steel Sub-Zero is still fair as "a portion of the proceeds will go towards funding the Mortal Kombat X Who’s Next Tournament Prize Pool."

So i'm good with that, it's like those E-sports crates in Counter-Strike.

What percentage?

edit: nvm, I'm sure they don't say

So basically the best method to clear this issue up would be:

1) Start a new savegame without the patch.
2) Beat the story mode 2 times to get an estimate on how many koins are given out and if the amount is reduced even without the patch.
3) Erase the save/ and start the game from scratch with the patch.
4) Again beat story 2 times to get an estimate on how many koins are earned, now with the patch.

I beat the story mode twice without the patch.

Both times on very easy without losing a fight.

First playthrough: 78,000 K
Second playthrough: 21,000 K

Now we need a gaffer to provide data for the updated version.

I'm not sure about the payout for beating Shinnok the first time. If I remember correctly it was an even 10,000 K payout. After that it's 2,500 K for Shinnok. I beat him at least five times.

Hakoom

*with the patch*
guys just go to kustom kombat 2 player mode and pick 1 hit kill mod
add some koin icon backround and border in your card and you wil earn 300~700 every 15 seconds
i made a video about it too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC6fTCPDp-Q

if u dont have lvl 50 in all factions just pick 100 koins in the border and you will earn 400 koins less..

and do this koin merthod after you clean up everything else :) dont do it from the start because story and other stuff will put you at 150k+

install the patch and enjoy the game :p

Scroll back and read the posts. This has already been disproved by using a brand new save before the patch then a brand new save after the patch. There is no koin decrease.

The confusion was apparently that before the patch you could keep beating the boss over and over for 2500 koins. That wasn't intended. It is just like the last game where repeated defeats of the same boss on the same save results in less koins.

ItIsOkBro

So with or without the patch the coin payout decreases regardless to promote microtransactions.

I guess, if you want to draw that conclusion, you can. Mortal Kombat has a history of decreasing koin payouts for repeating things, and a history of having a koin heavy krypt, long before there was this pay2unlock option. This wouldn't even be an issue if that option wasn't there, but it is, and now it's a matter of perception.

Chabbles

I guess, if you want to draw that conclusion, you can. Mortal Kombat has a history of decreasing koin payouts for repeating things, and a history of having a koin heavy krypt, long before there was this pay2unlock option. This wouldn't even be an issue if that option wasn't there, but it is, and now it's a matter of perception.

All the more convenient for placing a 20euro easy unlock option.. i still think all these MT's are shady in a full priced game, but ill shut up until i play the game for myself and see how much of a grind the krypt is or isnt.

ItIsOkBro

All the more convenient for placing a 20euro easy unlock option.. i still think all these MT's are shady in a full priced game, but ill shut up until i play the game for myself and see how much of a grind the krypt is or isnt.

was the bold to show me where you stopped reading

vg260

The confusion was apparently that before the patch you could keep beating the boss over and over for 2500 koins. That wasn't intended. It is just like the last game where repeated defeats of the same boss on the same save results in less koins.

Well, if that still works and is one of the higher payouts, I'll just do that and not feel bad about it.

Chabbles

was the bold to show me where you stopped reading

Good one...

Ok then, Prove what you say. Give some stats showing that the decrease in coin rewards in past MK games in comparison to MKX hasn't been effected to accommodate microtransations in anyway. Prove theres no increase in grind.

Arttemis

I thought it was bizarre. I was getting 1500 koins per win, so long as I didn't fail and have to retry. When I retry a fight, it seems to go from 1000+ to about 80, which is way too harsh, IMO. Even in tower modes, there's only ~350 koins for non-retried kills.

And with seemingly 250+ (total guess, wouldn't be surprised if it was 400+) vaults to open in the Krypt, you'll easily have to have 700,000 koins to unlock it all.

There's a lot of ways to increase koin count, though... and it's kind of hard to find. There are so many '+100 koins' modifiers buried within the Kombat Card skins/borders/images. All situational, though.

Good one...

Ok then, Prove what you say. Give some stats showing that the decrease in coin rewards in past MK games in comparison to MKX hasn't been effected to accommodate microtransations in anyway. Prove theres no increase in grind.

Huh? Having unlocked everything in the Krypt in MK9 and attempted the Platinum, I can tell you that Koins had diminished returns then, too.

After playing with a pre-patched save file, I can see why they did a Day 1 Patch.
The Story has the following bugs:
  • Quitting then continuing Story Mode gives you a free Skip Fight
  • Using Chapter Select the game thinks you only just got to that part of the Story thereby not decreasing your koin reward.

So by theory, I could just play the final boss over and over on Very Easy for 2500 coins each time.
There is a multiplier for harder modes because I was earning more than 2500 on Easy.

I guess reviewers did not notice it because they don't play the games enough.

There is a multiplier for harder modes because I was earning more than 2500 on Easy.

Are you sure? I beat the final boss 4 times in a row on medium, difficulty and I had 2500 koins each time. I think I got like 8000 the first time I beat him in the story mode though.

PinoBatch

Neo Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's how I understand the story so far: In Mortal Kombat X, the player is required to earn "koins" (in-game currency) by completing missions and spend them on unlocking hidden things in the "krypt". Someone played through a mission, accepted the day one patch, played through the mission again, noticed the reward for completing a particular mission was far less after the patch than before, and bitched on Reddit. Initial speculation was that WB Games forced a patch to make the game grindier so that WB can sell a speed unlock as a DLC. But it turned out that replays of a mission were always supposed to give fewer koins, just as in Mortal Kombat 2011, and the patch was to fix a bug in the logic that implements this behavior.

I'll be honest up front that I haven't played any Mortal Kombat game since UMK3. But I just want to make sure all possibilities have been investigated. Here are some more things to consider:

"Perfection is the key"
This was one of Reptile's catchphrases in a previous Mortal Kombat game. Several Dance Dance Revolution games have a point-based unlock system, and completing a song with a grade of AAA (every single step correct with exact timing) was worth a substantial boost compared to missing even one step. The second Super Smash Bros. game likewise offered a substantial "No Damage Clear" bonus for completing classic mode with all flawless victories. I guess the substantial bonus for winning on your first try is MK X's version of this. Does MK X also give more koins for a double flawless?

I've seen everything
Once the player completes all missions (story mode, tower, etc.), then where does the player get significant koins? Or is it like having defeated all trainers in the area in Pokemon, where you just have to learn to live without money? At what point would it be worthwhile to wipe your save and start over to ensure that you get all first try bonuses?

Expected level of dedication
And "months" of grind can mean different things in different games. Does it mean "months" of playing 15 minutes a day or a week or two of concerted effort, or does it mean "months" of playing 4 hours a day? Or does it mean "months" of a game that artificially limits play to 10 minutes a day using an energy mechanic that recharges every 24 hours?

Inflation is a thing
To those who think day one DLC has become overly expensive: Despite rising production costs, the price of a copy of a video game relative to other goods has fallen. It just might be hard to see because United States gamers normally measure prices in United States dollars, and the dollar has lost value since the first Mortal Kombat game came out. If I adjust for inflation on a CPI basis, a $60 video game purchased on Mortal Monday in September 1993 would have cost about $98 today.

Top Bottom