• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
As a person who likes to consider himself a single player purist, I'll ask you to reconsider that MP. It has much to offer that can't be found in the 40 hour campaign. It fleshes out the Mass Effect universe in indirect ways. Who would have thought that? I've spent close to 300 hours in that MP space and would do so again with no second thoughts.

Jumping in here, but meh. I'm a single player purist too, and I gave the MP 30 hours in vanilla and another 2 or so with every expansion because of how many friends I have who got into it, and for some of us it just doesn't click. It is unfortunate for us but it is what it is. I find it repetitive in much the same way I find virtually all other multiplayer experiences repetitive.

I hope ME4's MP is amazing for everyone who digs ME3's, but I doubt I'll even boot it up unless there are cutscenes, etc of some kind.

I'm not disregarding anything. I'm not even advocating for a PC-exclusive release. I know it's financial suicide. But I want a PC version, though.
maybe I misinterpreted your post. I think you suggested at first that when Me4 comes out everybody would be fine with it being just a PC game. but of course it'll come to PC, not that I really care, I just need there to be a Ps4 port.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I think there was some misinterpretation going on back there, yeah.

And I need a PS4 version as well. My laptop is 10 and I am not getting a replacement anytime soon. :p

chemicals

I just want the mood and rpg-ness back from the first Mass Effect. It is the only game that made me feel like I was living the movie 2001.

I just want the mood and rpg-ness back from the first Mass Effect. It is the only game that made me feel like I was living the movie 2001.
I had only one playthrough of Me1 (and I played the fuck out of Me2 and hated Me3), what made Me1 so much more of an rpg than Me2?

Guri

I had only one playthrough of Me1 (and I played the fuck out of Me2 and hated Me3), what made Me1 so much more of an rpg than Me2?

Variety of weapons and armour, more open levels that resulted in more exploration (in fact, one of the reasons there's less pop-in in the sequels is because they made the levels much more linear), more options to level up your whole squad, inventory system (although with its flaws) and your level had a direct correlation with the possibility of winning in combat.

As for multiplayer, even if it has, I won't play, just like I didn't with ME3. It's not the quality, it's just that I don't get along with multiplayer at all. I need character-driven stories.

Guri

It means most of the "exploration" and 2001-ness of ME 1 was found in faux exploration. The game had little more diversity than ME2 if at all.

Most planets were indeed repetitive, but even the ones related to the main quest were way more opened, allowed for more exploration and rewards (not just ammo) for it.

But yes, hopefully they make more diverse planets if they really focus more on exploration.

Lucreto

Variety of weapons and armour, more open levels that resulted in more exploration (in fact, one of the reasons there's less pop-in in the sequels is because they made the levels much more linear), more options to level up your whole squad, inventory system (although with its flaws) and your level had a direct correlation with the possibility of winning in combat.

As for multiplayer, even if it has, I won't play, just like I didn't with ME3. It's not the quality, it's just that I don't get along with multiplayer at all. I need character-driven stories.

I didn't like the inventory system and glad it got rid of it but I am open for it to return if it vastly improved.

The second and third games were far better experiences with some of the smaller elements removed.

I usually have multiplayer, but I liked this, co-op is more fun than competitive multiplayer. I don't have a headset and I got along fine with others.

Guri

I didn't like the inventory system and glad it got rid of it but I am open for it to return if it vastly improved.

The second and third games were far better experiences with some of the smaller elements removed.

I usually have multiplayer, but I liked this, co-op is more fun than competitive multiplayer. I don't have a headset and I got along fine with others.

Agreed! I'd love a revamped inventory system!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Do we have any news if EA plans to show something ME related, like a demo, at their E3 conference?

It will be there, I'm 99% sure of this. Capacity in which it is shown remains to be seen. Full demo is unlikely I think, as other games will be the focus, and this will see another E3 before release.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Probably the survey leak that started this thread.
I don't consider that big. ME4 being shown at E3 wouldn't be a bombshell and something that catches everyone by surprise.
Like I said, EA press conferences rarely surprise you. I'd like for EA to do something that truly surprises me.

dorq

Neo Member
I don't consider that big. ME4 being shown at E3 wouldn't be a bombshell and something that catches everyone by surprise.
Like I said, EA press conferences rarely surprise you. I'd like for EA to do something that truly surprises me.

all the time there press conference was going on, all i can think of was the guy whispering under his breath that they're gonna rape our wallets. DLC / Paywalls.... etc. You know it's gonna happen with ME4.

FWIW i think that sheps mind being taken over by starjar could well be the way they're going with a sequel.

royox

ME1vsME2shepherd.jpg

In ME1 your training and the way you distribute exp. points defines your character. If you train the Sniper you will be able to aim it perfectly and deal more damage, if you don't train it you will be able to use it but your scope will move as if you just drank x10 coffee cups. Same with all the weapons and other skills.

In ME2 you only choose your offensive/defensive skills and nothing else.

ME1vsME2shepherd.jpg

In ME1 your training and the way you distribute exp. points defines your character. If you train the Sniper you will be able to aim it perfectly and deal more damage, if you don't train it you will be able to use it but your scope will move as if you just drank x10 coffee cups. Same with all the weapons and other skills.

I think 3 a good balance of point allocation. Could be expanded a little more still but I enjoyed that side of3

ME1 was arcane stat barf. I get why old school RPG people liked it but I am OK they changed it. 2 was a bit too cut back for sure but I think 3 was a great balance

Mindlog

Those stats in ME1 are a joke. Looks at all those boxes meaning nothing. There's nothing appealing or logical about a highly trained special operations soldier that can't hold a weapon steady.

I want Andromeda to bring back deeper conversations and if possible much more Alpha Protocol influenced consequence system. ME1 stats and itemization can stay in the trash bin where they belong.

I liked ME3's leveling the most honestly, where the abilities had branching paths you permanently decided between. More interesting than pumping a bunch of points into +5% pistol damage or something.

Mindlog

I liked ME3's leveling the most honestly, where the abilities had branching paths you permanently decided between. More interesting than pumping a bunch of points into +5% pistol damage or something.
The only problem I had with ME3 is that it was easy to max everything, but I understand why that happened because I came in with my Shepard from the two previous games.

Part of what made ME3 MP so long-lasting for me was the limitation placed on builds. I hope the campaign finds a balance between blank slate with a limited power pool, but with many options to choose from.

Wow, bumping this old thread...huh...why not post these thoughts on the recently created "leaked" gameplay mechanics thread or even Mass Effect community thread?

Sabine

Neo Member
Squadmates: Same as previous games: make friends, take two with you on missions. Cora is able to generate biotic shields you can fire out of. Drack is a Krogan.

Yes. Cora can generate shields, protect herself and you. Perhaps even let the shield explode. Drack has... well. He's Krogan.

He he he.

ZXoneXZ

Neo Member
For me that survey does not sound like Mass Effect game at all.
Feels like they are focusing more on building settlements and bases. More on collecting recources and managing them.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

not to mention you gear/equipment in ME1 actually changed/evolved/was loot of sorts. i remember getting a full tactical suit and rocking the pistol and sniper through the whole game and by the end i was an Operator. just destroying people.

when i loaded up my game into ME2 and saw they had made my armor some catch all everything looks similar garbage i was sad. then i looked at the skill tree simplification and knew immediately i wasn't going to be as into it as i was the first.

Top Bottom