• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

Slixshot

Banned
Witcher 3 has set the standard for all future games when it comes to dialog, writing and "meaningful choices". ME4 needs to get with the game now.

I was thinking the same thing when I was playing this morning. So DAMN great!! If we get that same level of authenticity and realism in terms of conversations, I will be one happy guy.

Wreav

Banned
I was thinking the same thing when I was playing this morning. So DAMN great!! If we get that same level of authenticity and realism in terms of conversations, I will be one happy guy.

Yep, I'm loving how vague the choices are in W3. None of this RED TEXT OPTION or BLUE TEXT OPTION, and the way they handle consequences down the line later in the story is fantastic. They took the ME model and turn it into something truly fantastic. I'm not hopeful that ME can learn much from W3.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Looks like things might be getting a little rough in that case.

Could this be the long-awaited Krogan romance?

dark_whew.png

Yopis

Witcher 3 has set the standard for all future games when it comes to dialog, writing and "meaningful choices". ME4 needs to get with the game now.

Very true all the Witcher games are on another level. Hope we don't get the same tired your the chosen one story, in yet another one of their games. Loved ME1 the most in series.

Not quite.

Sorry, but what? The quality of the writing in every single quest is what most people agree makes that game special. Heck, I got to a couple mainstory missions last night, towards the end of the game, that both made me tear up.

I'm really excited to see what they show of ME4, but the leaked details don't inspire a ton of confidence in me, I was hoping for something a bit more unique, as well as smaller in scope and personal. I also was very much dissapointed by DA:I. If any of those design philosophies work their way into this game, I think it'll be worse off for it.

Once again, a wasted opportunity to tell a meaningful story. We need less galactic empire drab. Imagine if the main character was desperately looking for his best friend or daughter/son who had been lost in space for nearly a year? This woman or man is older with not much left in the tank- one last mission to endure. Let the lore be secondhand and emotional complexity take control...

It'll never happen. Folks just wanna drive spaceships and shoot aliens.

diaspora

The writing was excellent. Pretty sure this is almost universally agreed.

Nobody said the writing was bad, it's just not the best as far as western RPGs are concerned.

Once again, a wasted opportunity to tell a meaningful story. We need less galactic empire drab. Imagine if the main character was desperately looking for his best friend or daughter/son who had been lost in space for nearly a year? This woman or man is older with not much left in the tank- one last mission to endure. Let the lore be secondhand and emotional complexity take control...

It'll never happen. Folks just wanna drive spaceships and shoot aliens.

The leak says it takes place in the Helios Cluster, and shinobi said Bioware isn't ever revisiting the Reapers- so that rules out Mass Relays unless humans/asari/krogan/salarians/turians/geth/quarians invent their own, so... there is no galactic empire. Unless you're referring to the remnants of the old race? AFAIK the story seems like it's going to focus on survivalism.

zma1013

I'd prefer a space game where we don't save the galaxy or whatever but this taking place in another galaxy is awesome at least. Total freedom to do what they want.

i-Lo

Expecting screenshots and a small teaser (most likely CG). And then gameplay stuff for gamescom alongside quantum break at MS press conference.

prag16

Banned
Expecting screenshots and a small teaser (most likely CG). And then gameplay stuff for gamescom alongside quantum break at MS press conference.
You may be right but I hope we get a bit more than that, especially with all the teasing that's been done since last E3.

Dave_6

Man I hope we get something more than just a teaser trailer. Some gameplay would hype me more than anything else at E3.

WeTeHa

I am expecting it to be Xbone timed exclusive or have some form of substantial marketing deal with MS.

If that would actually happen, I am prepared to personally punch the MS and EA executives responsible for the decision right in the face.

Seriously, normally i don't even care too much about timed exclusivity (e.g. Tomb Raider), but I've been waiting WAY too long for ME4.

RulkezX

I am expecting it to be Xbone timed exclusive or have some form of substantial marketing deal with MS.

Not the slightest chance in hell of it being exclusive.

Buying exclusivity for Titanfall with it's limited scope and small team was one thing , but a Bioware RPG ? Not happening.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the writing in general is better in The Witcher 3, but the companion interaction - something BioWare are famed for - certainly was in comparison to Dragon Age: Inquisition.

And in some ways, even Mass Effect 3. Whearas Shepard and Garrus' sniping contest on the Citadel was a 3 minute vignette, the time Geralt spends with his friends is more naturally written into quests, and can play out over half-an-hour or so.

Some of the scenes towards the end, with Ciri, are incredible.

The Witcher 3 hasn't dulled my enthusiasm for all of BioWare's work, though. Everything i've heard about Mass Effect 4 so far excites the hell out of me., with the exception of any bloated war table-inspired mechanics.

Inquisition was mediocre as far as fantasy RPGs go. Mass Effect 2/3 have carved out a nice little niche in the role-play sphere, and i cannot wait to hear more about what comes next.

I hope this has nothing to do with any of the story set ups in the original series (beyond maybe occupying the same universe).

Tooooo much baggage to make a good story

Golicz

Banned
Man I hope we get something more than just a teaser trailer. Some gameplay would hype me more than anything else at E3.

I'm on the fence, i.e. I desperately want to see gameplay, but, I don't want to spoil the game for myself by watching far too many preview videos & story trailers.

ME4 is 100% my most anticipated game, especially after this survey leak which contains a ton of info I find really exciting, namely the sheer number of planets to explore with the Mako (which I hope is true).

Nah, he's right.
No, he's not. I don't know why people hardline against multiplayer anymore. There used to be a time when you could get away with making the claim that multiplayer would negatively impact a game's development. That was before some of the best single player games of last generation came to boast solid multiplayer suites that didn't infringe on their value as single player games.

Meh, Shepard's story is over. Mass Effect: (insert word or phrase) at least shows it as a new story in the Mass Effect universe.
just because shepard's story is over doesn't mean they can't name it Me4 (I know they already went on record saying they won't, hence my previous post, I'm just saying) and having a new subtitle for every new ME game from here on out is gonna feel kinda redundant, and make it feel like whoever the new protagonist is, is gonna be of less vitality to the series than shepard is/was, and I'm sure that ain't bioware's intention.

unless they put a number in front of the new subtitle instead of renaming it every installment, like cod:mw, cod:mw2, mw3, etc.

just because shepard's story is over doesn't mean they can't name it Me4 (I know they already went on record saying they won't, hence my previous post, I'm just saying) and having a new subtitle for every new ME game from here on out is gonna feel kinda redundant, and make it feel like whoever the new protagonist is, is gonna be of less vitality to the series than shepard is/was, and I'm sure that ain't bioware's intention.

Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games use the number system despite a completely new cast every time. Nothing wrong with it.

Top Bottom