• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

Sanctuary

So they just switched "Prothean" to the even less original "Remnant"?
LOL.

Also, all of the bullet points in the OP just make it seem like it's trying even harder to be another "let's cram every single thing we can into the game, and it can all be mediocre!" game. They already put way too much bloat in Inquisition, and this looks to be worse in that regard.

E3 needs to hurry up!

ME1's uncharted worlds? Never again. Exploring exotic locales in space is cool, what ME1 did was terrible. Star Trek managed to avoid having episodes about driving a space rover across empty, lifeless worlds collecting space garbage (which is just as boring as anything in DA3), Mass Effect should too.

Unfortunately some of the stuff in this thread seems to indicate that is what it is going to be.

What about more akin to ME2's? I think they did quite a good job of making the uncharted worlds unique.

At least 75% of those 100s of planets will be probing minigames.

I hope they scrap probing altogether. Make planet scanning like ME1: Press a button. You're done.

Fruitster

Garrus is the one character I will really miss when the new Mass Effect rolls. I hope that we get another Turian brother in arms character, but topping Garrus will be a hell of a tall order.

Astrates

E3 needs to hurry up!

What about more akin to ME2's? I think they did quite a good job of making the uncharted worlds unique.

I hope they scrap probing altogether. Make planet scanning like ME1: Press a button. You're done.

I think Overlord is the closest to the right mix, exploration available but it's all worthwhile and beautifully crafted. I love ME1 but the planet's do get dull. Whereas ME2 felt too small for the most part but never dull.

Pagusas

Elden Member
E3 needs to hurry up!

God no, Mass Effect 2's mini-game exploration was HORRIBLE. Probably the worst part of that game.

Lakitu

st5fu
So they just switched "Prothean" to the even less original "Remnant"?
LOL.

Also, all of the bullet points in the OP just make it seem like it's trying even harder to be another "let's cram every single thing we can into the game, and it can all be mediocre!" game. They already put way too much bloat in Inquisition, and this looks to be worse in that regard.

What? It doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as Inquisition.

Inquisition has fetch quests, collectathons, war table, requisitions, astrariums, shards, mosaic pieces, an extortionate amount of herbs/loot. fade rifts. red lyrium, landmarks, regions and more.

This has strike teams? That's about it, as far as I can tell from the description. Then perhaps blueprints and colonisation but we barely know anything about those two.

Lucreto

I must be the only one who liked the resource gathering in ME2. I don't know why I find it fun.

The worst thing about Mass Effect 1 other than the Mako is the inventory system. It was hugely irrelevant and I was happy it was taken out. I ended up with so much Omni gel my Shepard could have retired and become an Omni gel merchant.

Garrus is the one character I will really miss when the new Mass Effect rolls. I hope that we get another Turian brother in arms character, but topping Garrus will be a hell of a tall order.

If they make a characters like that, it won't stand on its own but just be endlessly compared to the original trilogy. I hope they don't try to 'copy' their successful characters and instead make a totally original cast of characters for everyone to fall in love with.

Bessy67

I must be the only one who liked the resource gathering in ME2. I don't know why I find it fun.

The worst thing about Mass Effect 1 other than the Mako is the inventory system. It was hugely irrelevant and I was happy it was taken out. I ended up with so much Omni gel my Shepard could have retired and become an Omni gel merchant.
To each their own I guess, but I just don't see what anyone could find enjoyable about ME2's planet probing. The only good thing about it was EDI's reaction when you tried to probe Uranus. And I agree that the inventory system in Mass Effect was terrible but I wish they had tried to refine it rather than scrapping it all together. I'm a loot junkie and I missed being able to loot in ME2 and ME3.

not gonna lie, this made me buy and play the mass effect trilogy again
currently downloading the thanemod, johnp's alternate happy ending, and the citadel epilouge mod

Braag

I really hope the game wont feel as bloated as DA:I did.
Large world with lots of areas to explore is great and all but when most of it is collecting stuff or meaningless quests it feels like you're just wasting your time.
A lot of the stuff in OP sounds great though.

Lucreto

To each their own I guess, but I just don't see what anyone could find enjoyable about ME2's planet probing. The only good thing about it was EDI's reaction when you tried to probe Uranus. And I agree that the inventory system in Mass Effect was terrible but I wish they had tried to refine it rather than scrapping it all together. I'm a loot junkie and I missed being able to loot in ME2 and ME3.

I am a pack rat as well. In Fallout I take everything not nailed down.

If they refine it or do something like Dragon Age it would be fine.

I drained every planet in the game of resources like I did in ME3.

I loved Dragon Age as well collection missions and all.

Sanctuary

What? It doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as Inquisition.

Inquisition has fetch quests, collectathons, war table, requisitions, astrariums, shards, mosaic pieces, an extortionate amount of herbs/loot. fade rifts. red lyrium, landmarks, regions and more.

This has strike teams? That's about it, as far as I can tell from the description. Then perhaps blueprints and colonisation but we barely know anything about those two.

Keep telling yourself that. ME4 is going to be crammed full of fetch quests on "unique" worlds, and the strike missions are just going to be rift like missions.
But hey, at least it will probably look great.

Tanerian

Banned
I want to be hyped but the last 3 BW games I played were ME3, DA2, and DA:I.

Not feeling the hype for another BW game at this point.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There's going to be a hundred Mars palette swaps and I'm going to enjoy every last one you fuckers. EVERY LAST ONE.

Wulfram

Some of the sky boxes were really nice, though.

The ME1 "exploration" was extremely skippable, so I liked it on that basis. At least once I twigged which map symbols meant "pointless space junk".

Daemul

The only good thing about the exploration in ME1 was that you could skip it entirely and you would miss out on nothing. All I used to do was land on the planets and drive the Mako straight to the sidequest marker location, I didn't have time to be exploring the same old copy pasted shit.

If ME4 is going to be like ME1 in terms of exploration, then I'm going to be doing the exact shit. Drive straight to the sidequests and get them done, ignoring the exploration in the process.

Corsick

Maybe I'm overreacting, but using remnants to essentially copy and paste a prothean like race into another galaxy feels uncreative and bland. Why spend all this effort talking about a new start in a new galaxy yet recreate such a cliche plot element that was done in the trilogy? They shy away from answering what ending is the real one, yet use an ancient alien race trope casually in the new galaxy straight from the old one. It makes it feel a bit too familiar already to the trilogy. I guess I need to be patient and let the team do their thing, but Mac does not inspire tons of confidence. Am I assuming too much based off of the leak?

diaspora

There was red mars, dark red Mars, blue Mars and green Mars. Except instead of an award winning book series it was filler shit. Oh there was the moon too I guess.

grey mars

edit: I should take a shot every time someone compliments ME1's exploration while at the same time bemoaning DAI's useless collection side quests. I don't think I'll live to see E3.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but using remnants to essentially copy and paste a prothean like race into another galaxy feels uncreative and bland. Why spend all this effort talking about a new start in a new galaxy yet recreate such a cliche plot element that was done in the trilogy? They shy away from answering what ending is the real one, yet use an ancient alien race trope casually in the new galaxy straight from the old one. It makes it feel a bit too familiar already to the trilogy. I guess I need to be patient and let the team do their thing, but Mac does not inspire tons of confidence. Am I assuming too much based off of the leak?

Bioware literally cannot resist putting precursor civilisations in. But specifically in this case it provides an excuse for you to be finding upgrades and collectables.

prag16

Banned
Am I assuming too much based off of the leak?
Possibly. Can't blame you, but probably wise not to jump to conclusions until we know more.

Even Mac isn't dumb enough to reuse all the same tropes verbatim, right?
Right?????

Daemul

There was red mars, dark red Mars, blue Mars and green Mars. Except instead of an award winning book series it was filler shit. Oh there was the moon too I guess.

Wasn't the planet Klendragon literally an exact copypaste of Mars, right down to the addition of the Valles Marineris, which is called The Great Rift Valley in Mass Effect?

The art team was lazy as fuck in ME1 lol

Guri

I really don't get the Mac Walters hate. Sure, some of his work on ME3 didn't work out, but he's also responsible for some of our favourite characters throughout the whole trilogy. Again, ME3 had two years of development. Next ME will have 4. Maybe he learnt his lessons. Maybe now he can do more with more development time. I like to wait until I play to decide if I'll like it or not.

Daemul

But specifically in this case it provides an excuse for you to be finding upgrades and collectables.

Aint-Nobody-Got-Time-for-That.gif

Hopefully we'll be able to buy our upgrades like we could in ME3.

Tal

Agreed. ME2's N7 missions were underrated and I was sad to see them replaced with singleplayer MP maps in ME3. I imagine they were fairly expensive to produce, though.

It's revealed that the Remnants were wiped out by a collective of sentient machines called Harvesters and have been doing so for generations. It's revealed that the cycle is in a cycle as well and Mac will think it's really deep.

wolfhowwl

Banned
God no, Mass Effect 2's mini-game exploration was HORRIBLE. Probably the worst part of that game.

I believe he was was talking about how ME2 cut the driving around a wasteland part and had its sidequests in unique areas as opposed to ME1 uncharted worlds and endlessly repeated prefabs.

Lakitu

st5fu
Keep telling yourself that. ME4 is going to be crammed full of fetch quests on "unique" worlds, and the strike missions are just going to be rift like missions.
But hey, at least it will probably look great.

I hope not but no one really knows at this point. If you're going by leak then you are factually wrong, because there's nowhere near the amount of bloat that DA: I has.

JackelZXA

We're guessing they don't, since these guys were probably sent to Andromeda before the end of ME3.

yeah, even if this is after me3, the idea would be that the original galaxy was the only thing in space effected by the big dumb energy laser, and possibly cut off from other galaxies' relays. So there might be callbacks to events of the first 3 games, but nothing that happens in them would impact this game, which would be a good reason to justify no save imports. (starting fresh)

Agreed. ME2's N7 missions were underrated and I was sad to see them replaced with singleplayer MP maps in ME3. I imagine they were fairly expensive to produce, though.

They didnt even follow through developing the rest into SP n7 missions, (Especially considering the additions to geth and cerberus forces that we can only fight in armax arena in the final game)

MrFatCat

Banned
I can think of a better storyline. Here goes:

After the final battle, the galaxy finally found peace. However, that peace didn't last long...

At a seemingly abandoned Cerberus lab in Koprulu sector. A sinister scientist name Dr.Wily has decrypted a DNA code from a fragment of the space colony Eurasia. Using the code, he created a deadly virus call the E-virus (E stand for Elusive, in honor of his dead cousin) and unleash said virus to the galaxy, affect everyone and everything in its path. The virus turn them into Robot master that fight for Wily. Meanwhile, in another abandoned lab in Racoon city on Earth, a robot fused with the soul of Commander Shepard when hes passing through the Lifestream of Gaia, has been awakened. The name of the robot is Prophet, and with his nanosuit, he embarks on a journey to find his creator and save the world from the sixth Blight.

What do you guys think?

Wulfram

Bioware literally cannot resist putting precursor civilisations in. But specifically in this case it provides an excuse for you to be finding upgrades and collectables.

Precursor civilisations should be expected. Well, either that or civilisations far in advance of our own.

If civilisations do not regularly go extinct, then the odds of meeting them in their early years is unlikely. And if they do go regularly extinct, then the galaxy would be littered with their ruins.

diaspora

I guess the rationale is that the universe is old as balls, so old civilizations shouldn't be a surprise. Not that I like it.

YoshiEx

Neo Member
Precursor civilisations should be expected. Well, either that or civilisations far in advance of our own.

If civilisations do not regularly go extinct, then the odds of meeting them in their early years is unlikely. And if they do go regularly extinct, then the galaxy would be littered with their ruins.

Part of the argument made in the Fermi Paradox !

My only potential paradox is "do I get this for Xbone or PS4"?.... hmmmmmmm....

Tempest Starship: Pilotable ship to discover 100s of solar systems. Customisable with trophies/loot/photos taken through the galaxy. Transition between flying ship, to landing on planet, to driving Mako, to getting out on foot, all seamless with no loading screens.
Mako Vehicle: Upgradeable with turbo boost, shield generator, hostile detector, etc. Customisable paint job.
Planets: 100s of surfaces to explore, for discovering places to colonise, and alien vaults/outputs to conquer.
Colonies: Build settlements on habitable planets. Able to decide what type of settlement for bonuses. EG: Recon Settlements will clear fog of war on space map and offer more strike team missions, meanwhile Mining Settlements will periodically supply crafting materials.
Blueprints: Allow you to craft alien technology using materials for better equipment and weapons, such as a jetpack for jumping, cryo-beam to target enemies, etc.
Wow this all sounds amazing. I'm picking a good time to jump into the series.

Top Bottom