• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The stated amount of explorable worlds kind of making me worry that it'll be filled with collectathons like Inquisition. Hopefully we don't need to collect 200 shards or whatever again, urgh. I'd rather have fewer/more compact worlds but with more meaningful stuff.

This is current gen only right? Dragon Age Inquisition suffered quite a bit from the decision to make it also playable on last gen consoles so I certainly hope Bioware does not make the same mistake with this title.

Lakitu

st5fu
The stated amount of explorable worlds kind of making me worry that it'll be filled with collectathons like Inquisition. Hopefully we don't need to collect 200 shards or whatever again, urgh. I'd rather have fewer/more compact worlds but with more meaningful stuff.

This is current gen only right? Dragon Age Inquisition suffered quite a bit from the decision to make it also playable on last gen consoles so I certainly hope Bioware does not make the same mistake with this title.

DA: I had 10 or so locations compared to this and it was still filled with collectibles.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
DA: I had 10 or so locations compared to this and it was still filled with collectibles.

Well true, but that makes it even more worrying.

If they only have 10 and they filled it with collectathons, what would happen if they have a 100?

Bioware tends to speak big things but the execution side they often fell flat. I am not confident, to be honest, that they would be able to do justice with the stated amount of worlds, but I guess we just have to wait and see.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well true, but that makes it even more worrying.

If they only have 10 and they filled it with collectathons, what would happen if they have a 100?

Bioware tends to speak big things but the execution side they often fell flat. I am not confident, to be honest, that they would be able to do justice with the stated amount of worlds, but I guess we just have to wait and see.

I feel the same about the '100s of planets' comment too, I'd rather they focus on quality and not quantity but I'll see how it pans out.

I agree, the part I liked the most about ME3 is how repayable it is. I can play it again, without having to deal with the typical *kill X number of grunts and return to me*.

Actually it is the other way around 80% outside the US say colonise. British English has a tendency to keep the spelling of many words of French origin. Americans try to spell words more closely to the way they sound phonetically and they tend to omit some letters.

The British and others pronounce “z”, “zed”, owing to the origin of the letter “z”, the Greek letter “Zeta”. This gave rise to the Old French “zede”, which resulted in the English “zed” around the 15th century.

As to why people in the United States call “z”, “zee”, it is thought that this is likely simply adopted from the pronunciation of the letters “bee”, “cee”, “dee”, “eee”, “gee”, “pee”, “tee”, and “vee”.

Back of topic
WOOOOOO Mass Effect
I said 80% of native English speakers, not 80% of native English speakers outside the US. ;)
Thanks for the linguistics lesson, though. Language is fascinating and often weird.

OT: Uh...ME4 doesn't sound that appealing to me! Maybe E3 will change my mind.

One of my hopes for the ME4 single player is to have the subtly complex combat from the ME3 multiplayer. In normal story mode each character has TOO MANY powers, so each character is replaceable from a strategy perspective. If I want to play "insane mode" difficulty, the characters should have limited and unique powers that actually make squad formation a much more deliberate thought than which character you like best. You should also be able to recon expected enemies to see their defense types (heavy shields, armor, barriers, health, and mob numbers vs boss types) as that would enhance the feeling of strategy. Occasionally throw in an unexpected enemy. It might also be nice to see combo synergies at the squad selection screen.

Just some thoughts from someone who really, really enjoyed the multiplayer.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It doesn't sound like we'll find many clubs in the unknown territory of Andromeda.

Don't worry, i bet there will be clubs even in this galaxy. It's not like logic is really necessary in sci-fi. :p I mean, if you can find clubs in some mercenary city located on an asteroid in some alien cluster of the Milky Way, what's stopping clubs to be in Andromeda?

wolfhowwl

Banned
About the planets: I was told they have a certain toolchain or some program (forgive me, tech isn't my strong suit) that's crafted for them in Frostbite 3 that's allowing them to generate terrain/create planets through a random generator. They go in afterwards and tweak and detail each planet to make them unique and their own thing.

Seeing this and the "hundred planets" thing makes me apprehensive that it is going to be ME1 all over again with a hundred different colored dirtballs under a hundred different colored skies and so very little interesting to actually do or even look at beyond the skyboxes.

prag16

Banned
Seeing this and the "hundred planets" thing makes me apprehensive that it is going to be ME1 all over again with a hundred different colored dirtballs under a hundred different colored skies and so very little interesting to actually do or even look at beyond the skyboxes.
I have to believe they're smarter than that. I'm more worried about DA:I busywork than boring ME1 "exploration".

wolfhowwl

Banned
I have to believe they're smarter than that. I'm more worried about DA:I busywork than boring ME1 "exploration".

Oh yeah there's that too. The large number of planets just screams another mile-wide, inch-deep implementation.

The uncharted worlds just made me wish I could send a drone instead. Some people talked about the Star Trek-like feel of the first game but I'm pretty sure the TV show skipped over the dozens of barren wastelands where they just retrieved salvage in favor of the actual interesting planets. I would be more encouraged if it sounded like they were consolidating around a handful of planets to focus on creating a small number handcrafted and imaginative environments with deeper content. For example ME1 had a world that was a homage to Forbidden Planet. You could explore the ruined city and retrieve technology that could have a gameplay difference as well as have a questline interacting with a science team that culminates in a unique boss fight (the monster from the id). Just something more than what they did last time.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Guys, you know what Mass Effect 4 means?

A NEW DANCE CLUB SIMILIAR TO AFTERLIFE AND PURGATORY

Cannot wait to hear the music inside. Disco music in games fascinates me since Conker's "Rock Solid" on the N64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVPHmok3hxA
BioWare, get your shit together and just make Mass Effect: Bar Mogul!!

• Create and customize bars
  • Recruit and train dancers
  • Stock your bar with all the latest drinks to keep everyone tipsy
  • Keep a good reputation to make a friendly, vibrant bar
  • Keep a bad reputation to launder credits and attract mafia members
  • Pick and design your own dance music! (DLC)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
massx2pcb.jpg

I hope it doesn't turn out to be as SP MMO as DA:I. I even said this before and some members in the DA:I thread argued that it won't be but we all know what happened. It can't just be pretty. It needs to be more than just looks.

That picture looks nearly similar to the flare shot that appears over the planet at the end of the mass effect 2 intro. A cool nod.

EDIT: There we go.

0.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
I hope it doesn't turn out to be as SP MMO as DA:I. I even said this before and some members in the DA:I thread argued that it won't be but we all know what happened. It can't just be pretty. It needs to be more than just looks.

I think most will agee with you on that one.

Is no one else getting intense Dragon Age Inquisition vibes here? Oh man... just when they described the size of the world... all I can think are barren collect-athon missions with 'press A' to complete objective gameplay.

I just feel an intensely bad vibe right now reading that summary...

I do and i hate it all ready.

What a waste of time DA Inquisition was.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That picture looks nearly similar to the flare shot that appears over the planet at the end of the mass effect 2 intro. A cool nod.

EDIT: There we go.

0.jpg
Actually, it's been used in every Mass Effect game intros, so expcet the next game to do the same. ;)

ME1
btQYk95.png

ME3
OuipOpR.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The planetary horizon curvature is in the bloody logo.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I've lost confidence in Bioware/EA actually taking the best elements of the ME games and giving me a ME4 I actually want to play.

- The open world exploration of beautiful desolate planets of ME1
- Expansive equipment customization of ME1
- Ripe dialogue choices of ME2
- More tactical ability choices of ME1
- Improved gunplay of ME2/3
- Galaxy exploration of ME3

We'll likely just get DA:I in space, unfortunately.

wolfhowwl

Banned
I've lost confidence in Bioware/EA actually taking the best elements of the ME games and giving me a ME4 I actually want to play.

- Expansive equipment customization of ME1
- Ripe dialogue choices of ME2
- More tactical ability choices of ME1
- Improved gunplay of ME2/3
- Galaxy exploration of ME3

We'll likely just get DA:I in space, unfortunately.

ME1's uncharted worlds? Never again. Exploring exotic locales in space is cool, what ME1 did was terrible. Star Trek managed to avoid having episodes about driving a space rover across empty, lifeless worlds collecting space garbage (which is just as boring as anything in DA3), Mass Effect should too.

Unfortunately some of the stuff in this thread seems to indicate that is what it is going to be.

diaspora

What the fuck, why would anyone want this? This was fucking terrible, made shard-quests in DA:I seem deep and involved comparatively.

Top Bottom