• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

massx2pcb.jpg
Hmmm, Yellow sun passing thru blue atmosphere: nitrogen atmosphere and 5800 kelvin sun in ME4 confirmed!

Just kidding.

Hoping for fully customizable name this time. I'd be fine being 'Captain' in voiced scenes if it's followed by 'James Kirk' in menus.

It sounds like a way more actualized version of a lot of past Mass Effect ideas, which is great in theory. Really digging the idea of being a long way from home - Hopefully that'll allow for actually interesting renegade differences, as this character is bound to end the game with a lot of power in their sole control.

Could this be similar to how ME3 was in 2011? Info in magazine, game play shown at Microsoft's E3 conference, and more game play at EAs? I'm hoping we finally get a name for it soon (Mass Effect: Contact?).

RexNovis

Banned
While the news of extensive exploration has me excited the whole Remnants angle is just pathetic. I really wish they would create an enemy that reflects humanity in its infancy: brutish, largely ignorant yet infinitely adaptable, and grossly opportunistic. The idea of facing a young civilization that has rapidly risen due almost entirely to their own sheer determination is infinitely more interesting and terrifying than some mystical precursor civilization that has slowly lost relevance and prevalence with the ceaseless passage of time. Give me an enemy hungry for recognition and power over one that is slowly fading away in its cosmic twilight years. I don't know maybe I'm the only one.

prag16

Banned
While the news of extensive exploration has me excited the whole Remnants angle is just pathetic. I really wish they would create an enemy that reflects humanity in its infancy: brutish, largely ignorant yet infinitely adaptable, and grossly opportunistic. The idea of facing a young civilization that has rapidly risen due almost entirely to their own sheer determination is infinitely more interesting and terrifying than some mystical precursor civilization that has slowly lost relevance and prevalence with the ceaseless passage of time. Give me an enemy hungry for recognition and power over one that is slowly fading away in its cosmic twilight years. I don't know maybe I'm the only one.

Strictly speaking, we don't know much about the Remnant, including whether or not they're actually an enemy (e.g. the Protheans weren't an enemy in the original trilogy). The Khet are the ones who are confirmed to be antagonistic, and we know a lot less about them. Too soon to panic.

diaspora

So antagonistic non-genophage Krogan?

edit: If nothing else, I'm excited to see alien oceans in Frostbite.

Xe4

Banned
Sounds good. One question though: how are there Krogan and Humans in the Andromeda galaxy. They couldn't have crossed because of the Reapers and even if they did the million year journey would have evolved them quite a bit. I guess because of videagames, though. Have to have human protagonist to be relatable.

prag16

Banned
Sounds good. One question though: how are there Krogan and Humans in the Andromeda galaxy. They couldn't have crossed because of the Reapers and even if they did the million year journey would have evolved them quite a bit. I guess because of videagames, though. Have to have human protagonist to be relatable.

This is likely to be a massive multi-species expedition launched from the Milky Way at some point BEFORE the final act of ME3.

Lt-47

Hoping for fully customizable name this time. I'd be fine being 'Captain' in voiced scenes if it's followed by 'James Kirk' in menus.

I hope not, having your friends/romance call you captain/inquisitor all the time is a lot more immersion breaking than not being able to chose a name in my opinion.

Kinda like the last Planet of the Apes movie. That would be cool!

It would be interesting to face a species like humans that as individuals are intelligent and compassionate yet as a collective are stubborn and greedy. With a new twist harking upon old, we would be the council deciding whether an emergent species deserves recognition. What if they try to cross the established boundaries?

It would be even more interesting if it came down to survival of their species vs ours.

I'm already wondering if there will be Native American references. I'm sure there will be since we are basically descending a whole universe worth of apex predators upon a new solar system. Unfortunately, that would lead to conflict and displacement (good for game).

So antagonistic non-genophage Krogan?

edit: If nothing else, I'm excited to see alien oceans in Frostbite.
Or basically humans. Think about it, humanity took huge strides during the three year period of ME 1, 2, and 3, just imagine another civilization doing that with humanity realizing their the ones being stepped over.

RexNovis

Banned
Kinda like the last Planet of the Apes movie. That would be cool!

It would be interesting to face a species like humans that as individuals are intelligent and compassionate yet as a collective are stubborn and greedy. With a new twist harking upon old, we would be the council deciding whether an emergent species deserves recognition. What if they try to cross the established boundaries?

It would be even more interesting if it came down to survival of their species vs ours.

Or basically humans. Think about it, humanity took huge strides during the three year period of ME 1, 2, and 3, just imagine another civilization doing that with humanity realizing their the ones being stepped over.

Yes exactly! Thank you for understanding my intent and elaborating. Here's to hoping we see something like this

Gonna be a cynical asshole about this sorry as much as I would love to see this I am gonna wait see how this next addition ends because after last time ugh.......... You know. On a more positive note wouldn't mind to see some redemption in this series for me specifically.

Agremont

Gonna be a cynical asshole about this sorry as much as I would love to see this I am gonna wait see how this next addition ends because after last time ugh.......... You know. On a more positive note wouldn't mind to see some redemption in this series for me specifically.

They cannot possible screw it up like that again.....can they?

Astrates

They cannot possible screw it up like that again.....can they?

I know the ending was a let down, but what a journey. The ending never soured me as I hate it when a game I love ends anyway. Just finished ME1 again and back on to ME2 currently, with first full playthroughs with a FemShep.

I know the ending was a let down, but what a journey. The ending never soured me as I hate it when a game I love ends anyway. Just finished ME1 again and back on to ME2 currently, with first full playthroughs with a FemShep.

First FemShep playthrough? Oooo, you're going to hate Mass 3 when you import your save file...

Salz01

Are they confirmed to be showing something mass effect related at E3? It's been dead silent in regards to anything mass effect related.

Elginer

If the next Mass Effect is there I could care less about anything else at E3. Show me that current gen Mass Effect on Frostbite.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Pretty late this, surprised I haven't seen this thread in the last 2 months. I guess we'll see what's what in a few days at E3 but I can't say I'm loving what we've heard so far. I like the structural/gameplay aspects, huge focus on exploration and discovery, maintaining core combat, possible space flight. Love the Mako return and massive increase in size/scope, but I really don't like the whole new galaxy bullshit. I still firmly believe they should have set the next game in a post ME3 galaxy and squarely addressed the fallout of that conflict.

They don't need to dwell on the events themselves or Shepard, or the whole ending debacle, but they should show us the repercussions and more importantly explore the very interesting ways in which a galaxy brought to the brink of destruction would repair itself and come back. Especially if things like the Mass Relays were not fully operational every and if large sections of the galaxy were inaccessible for years or decades.

Setting it in some other galaxy, before ME3s conclusion, it just an easy way to ignore the choices and overall events that occurred in that game. Sure it opens up for new races and civilizations which is nice, but you could still do that in the Milky Way. It was well established that they Mass Relay System only provided access to 1% of the galaxy. So there was still a wealthy of untapped star systems where new advanced life could have formed.

I just hope this time around they've planned out the new series fully before hand and know exactly, as best they can, how the choices they player can make in this first game will carry over in the following games so they can ensure we don't make tidal wave choices that later on end up feeling like barely a splash. They really need to stop letting us make these huge choices that they can never fully follow through with. Give us more choices with less far reaching consequences, but more immediate and personal gravity. They know this is going to be a huge game and successful so I really hope they've spent the time to plan it all out.

SomTervo

As others have said - we don't know enough about the Remnants yet – but yes, it's pretty tired having another precursor race again.

Great idea about the rival/enemy race being cunning and narcissistic like humans. Would be a really nice change and, frankly, a far more terrifying enemy.

Kumquat

Speaking of humans in the galaxy, any of you ever read The Damned series by Alan Dean Foster? It's an interesting take on humans and our ability to carry on perpetual war and a galaxy in which few species have the psychological or physical ability to make war like we do. You should give it a read sometime.

ta155

Really depresses me how little excitement I'm feeling towards more Mass Effect. My hype levels for all three of the previous games were immense.

Between ME3 (albeit not as bad as some would say, and it had some excellent DLC), and the suggestion that DAI might be the BioWare template moving forward, I'm not really sure how to feel about future games.

2thepoint

Shinobi, if you see this, can you please wink if we'll see Mass Effect 4 / Contact or whatever it is at EA's presser?

I am beyond excited to see it.

antitrop

Really depresses me how little excitement I'm feeling towards more Mass Effect. My hype levels for all three of the previous games were immense.

Between ME3 (albeit not as bad as some would say, and it had some excellent DLC), and the suggestion that DAI might be the BioWare template moving forward, I'm not really sure how to feel about future games.

I believe Bioware specifically stated that DAI wouldn't be the template for their RPGs, moving forward.

Yeah, here:
"We're very proud of what DAI has achieved, but that does not set a 'template' for what every other game we make needs to be. Each game franchise needs to innovate and improve their experience based on what's best for it, not just what another game had success with, because 'well, that was successful.'"

http://www.stack.com/2015/02/12/mass-effect-4dragon-age-inquisition/

mitchman

Gold Member
Witcher 3 has set the standard for all future games when it comes to dialog, writing and "meaningful choices". ME4 needs to get with the game now.

Top Bottom