• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden || Slam with the Best or Jam with the Rest

CassSept

Warning: The game you are about to play is canon.

uGdK9rj.png

"Tales of Game's Presents Chef Boyardee's Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa" is a post-apocalyptic RPG set in 2053 Neo New York starring Charles Barkley. 12 years prior to the events of the game Barkley performed a Chaos Dunk - a terrifying move that killed millions and led to The Great B-ball Purge of 2041. Basketball had been outlawed, many basketball players were hunted down and the world ushered into an era of post-cyberapocalypse. Now, over a decade later, fate has it that Charles has to go on a journey throughout the sleazy, vile world of Neo New York and beyond to fight the demons of his past and save the world. Canonically the game is set after the events of both "Barkley: Shut Up and Jam" and "Space Jam".

RPGs are a ripe genre for comedy games. Few games come to mind that has been as good and consistently funny as Mario RPGs or the recent South Park: Stick of Truth. Structure of the genre allows for creation of complex, hilarious plot lines and bizarre combat scenarios supported by well-conceived script. Obviously, these are different to the game that's the subject of this thread, they were created by prestigious studios with actual development budget. This is an indie game made in RPG maker by a ragtag team of people that go by their community usernames, it's obviously a joke game to boot. So, what makes Barkley Gaiden special? It's actually a darn good game. What could have been a throwaway joke (ha-ha, post-apocalyptic jRPG with Charles Barkley) is one hell of a memorable experience because the devs knew exactly what they were doing and they did a tremendous job. Style, care and knowledge about both the genre and subject matter ooze out of the game throughout the whole experience.

The writing is a hoot. Almost every single line in the script is well thought out, barely a moment wasted. Every time any character gets to speak you are guaranteed to at least crack a smile. The plot is absolutely incoherent, yet almost never ceases to amuse. And what I think it is that makes it so good is that it's played completely straight. As nonsensical as the whole game is there are very few moments where the game shoves it's stupidity in your face and screams in your face 'IT'S A JOKE, GEDDIT'. It's never obnoxious and it never overstays it's welcome. There were moments where I drifted away and ran with it, only to realize after a while what the hell I read, how bizarre it was.

However, that's not all. The game is a legitimately competent, really well designed jRPG. The battle system is one of the best in the genre. It features Mario RPG-esque active commands and is surprisingly varied, with every character that joins your party possessing a distinct combat style. Seriously, not two of them play anything alike. Enemies are unique and varied throughout the game. They are visible in the overworld and never respawn, which is both a huge relief and a great way to balance difficulty curve throughout the game. "Tales of Game's" obviously played a ton of jRPGs and know their stuff, which shows all the time in the design of the game.

About audio-visual design... it's delightfully terrible. An absolute ton of sprites, themes and even entire environments are shamelessly ripped from other sources, usually 16-bit era jRPGs. The soundtrack is hilariously on point. Spritework is inconsistent and never not funny (shout-out to amazing post-victory animations!). There are obvious, glaring inconsistencies between battle sprites, overworld sprites and character portraits. Names of both locations and characters are jRPG-inspired nonsense (it's set on Earth... yet everyone worships 'Clispaeth'). There are instances of gratuitous Japanese and broken English 'translations'. The game parodies jRPGs and various Internet subcultures, but never becomes cheap, lowest-common-denominator mean parody.

Barkley Gaiden could easily have been a disposable piece of garbage which amuses one by it's bizarre premise, but is soon forgotten. Instead, it's a memorable experience and one hell of a hilarious ride, complemented by great gameplay. I finished it yesterday and almost immediately started to watch an LP and honestly, I'm laughing as hard as I did when I played it. If you know a thing or two about jRPGs you owe it to yourself to play it. If you don't, it's still absolutely worth it. Hey, it's free and only 5 hours long! If you didn't experience it yet, go play it is what I mean!

Everybody come on, it's time to slam now

Lunar15

Stellar game. Really reminded me of the Mario RPG's.

Kind of shocking to me that we don't get a whole lot of games like that. Only this and that new Steven Universe game really scratched that itch.

Anyway, I think my favorite thing will always be that they used Eternity from Blue Dragon for one of the boss themes.

hoggert

One thing that caused me to stop playing this game and register and post to NeoGAF was the EXTREMELY ANNOYING propaganda re: western videocons vs. eastern videocons thats gets spit out at me for abour 4-6 text screens everytime I want to save. I just want to save my game. I also did not like its portrayal of druegers in barkley. The portrayal of Duergar in games so far has been fed by stereotypes, which has raised allegations of racism. Traditionally, the Duergar archetype has been that of darkly violent, uncivilized villain and miser, which in turn is juxtaposed next to the archetypal hero: the virtuous, WHITE Iron Dwarf. However, a growing number of fantasy adventure roleplaying games in the latter half of the Twentieth century and beyond have portrayed indigenous peoples of the the underdark in a more historically accurate light. Tales of Game's Presents Chef Boyardee's Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa is not one of those games. Which is unfortunate because the developers of this videocon had a clear and opportune occasion to educate the typical mouth breahing vidiots to the true and noble nature of the Duergar. Yes, educate them in a space they could to not choose to ignore the daily dragging of the Duergar through the cultural mud. They should have taken the lead of videocons with positive portayals of Duergar, where they are viewed as intelligent and spiritual and masters of elixir concoctions that they use not simply to get "dirgity" but to go on deep and meaningful vision quests to commune with the elder Duergar that came before them and local spirit animals like the feces eating coryspespyder. Or they are portrayed as the meandering greedy victims of what the white settlers are doing to them. One example movie of this is the videocon Dances with Duergar. One scene shows the Iron Dwarf Shieldbreakers capturing the protagonist of the film, Keanue Reeves, and taking him as a prisoner away from the Duergar caverns. Out of nowhere, the Duergar race onto the scene and kill all of the Iron Dwarf Shieldbreakers while none of the Duergar get killed. Some of the Duergar receive injuries, but they just ignore the pain and do not seem to even realize that they have been hurt thanks to the amazing concocted Duergar exlixirs. Duergar are strong and immune to all the pain because Duergar are wonderful Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed the videocon even though it portrayed Duergar as enslaved, greedy psychopaths and being a wereduergar was a curse not to have at night and not a blessing to be free of the dominant paradigm enforced by the hedgemony of ignorant oppressing Iron Dwarves.

Ionic

One thing that caused me to stop playing this game and register and post to NeoGAF was the EXTREMELY ANNOYING propaganda re: western videocons vs. eastern videocons thats gets spit out at me for abour 4-6 text screens everytime I want to save. I just want to save my game. I also did not like its portrayal of druegers in barkley. The portrayal of Duergar in games so far has been fed by stereotypes, which has raised allegations of racism. Traditionally, the Duergar archetype has been that of darkly violent, uncivilized villain and miser, which in turn is juxtaposed next to the archetypal hero: the virtuous, WHITE Iron Dwarf. However, a growing number of fantasy adventure roleplaying games in the latter half of the Twentieth century and beyond have portrayed indigenous peoples of the the underdark in a more historically accurate light. Tales of Game's Presents Chef Boyardee's Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa is not one of those games. Which is unfortunate because the developers of this videocon had a clear and opportune occasion to educate the typical mouth breahing vidiots to the true and noble nature of the Duergar. Yes, educate them in a space they could to not choose to ignore the daily dragging of the Duergar through the cultural mud. They should have taken the lead of videocons with positive portayals of Duergar, where they are viewed as intelligent and spiritual and masters of elixir concoctions that they use not simply to get "dirgity" but to go on deep and meaningful vision quests to commune with the elder Duergar that came before them and local spirit animals like the feces eating coryspespyder. Or they are portrayed as the meandering greedy victims of what the white settlers are doing to them. One example movie of this is the videocon Dances with Duergar. One scene shows the Iron Dwarf Shieldbreakers capturing the protagonist of the film, Keanue Reeves, and taking him as a prisoner away from the Duergar caverns. Out of nowhere, the Duergar race onto the scene and kill all of the Iron Dwarf Shieldbreakers while none of the Duergar get killed. Some of the Duergar receive injuries, but they just ignore the pain and do not seem to even realize that they have been hurt thanks to the amazing concocted Duergar exlixirs. Duergar are strong and immune to all the pain because Duergar are wonderful Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed the videocon even though it portrayed Duergar as enslaved, greedy psychopaths and being a wereduergar was a curse not to have at night and not a blessing to be free of the dominant paradigm enforced by the hedgemony of ignorant oppressing Iron Dwarves.

You could have made this post much more concise and readable if you shortened videocon to vidcon, but I agree with your points.

Beautiful.

CassSept

First post delivers.

But yeah, on top of taking the piss out of a lot of JRPG and gaming tropes in general, it's a surprisingly competently designed game.

The soundtrack does a really weirdly great job of setting an atmosphere, too. Just listen to that Proto Neo New York track

Sewers is a surprisingly good track. Gibberish full song title are great too.

One thing that caused me to stop playing this game and register and post to NeoGAF was the EXTREMELY ANNOYING propaganda re: western videocons vs. eastern videocons thats gets spit out at me for abour 4-6 text screens everytime I want to save. /.../ Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed the videocon even though it portrayed Duergar as enslaved, greedy psychopaths and being a wereduergar was a curse not to have at night and not a blessing to be free of the dominant paradigm enforced by the hedgemony of ignorant oppressing Iron Dwarves.

Vidcon is a perfect marriage of the words console and video game, creating a short and effective portmanteau that quickly and accurately labels mentioned objects and anybody who does not immediately recognize 'videcon' as absolutely outrageous clearly lacks the mental faculties to correctly operate a vidcon other than perhaps FIFA Sports.

Did you play the DirectX10 version, OP? Graphics were insane, best looking game ever.

My rig could barely run it but man, it was worth it.
I kept on forgetting about the splash screen and somehow it never failed to amuse me.

epmode

I love this game. I backed The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa too!

Alfredo

Seriously one of my favorite Japanese-style RPGs. I happily backed the Kickstarter for the sequel and eagerly anticipate its release.

Cboyardee is a freakin' comedy genius. If you ever saw his YouTube videos before he took them down, that dude is hilarious.

Grisby

Never played it, but the Squadron of Shame podcast back in the day on the game was funny as hell.

Chaos Dunk.

I mean, come on. That's goddamn hilarious.

nded

I met Cboyardee at PAX and played Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga, and that was a bigger deal to me than meeting Keiji Inafune.

It's just you and me, Barkley. No refs. No whistles. No rules. Just you, me, and Sweet Georgia Brown.

Seriously one of my favorite Japanese-style RPGs. I happily backed the Kickstarter for the sequel and eagerly anticipate its release.

Cboyardee is a freakin' comedy genius. If you ever saw his YouTube videos before he took them down, that dude is hilarious.

Cboyardee's one of the great comedy masterminds behind the internet that most of the internet doesn't even know exists.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is the funniest game I have ever played.

th

barkley2.jpg

Barkley-Shut-Up-and-Jam-Gaiden-Screenshot-3.jpg

44444444444444-550x.jpg

It's also a legitimately good, well written RPG. With awesome music.

Voliko

Alright, I'm playing this next weekend. Heard about it many times but I didn't know it was so short. The screens posted sold me.

The premise of this game looks so awesome but I'm not down with autism spectrum disorder being the but of one of the running jokes in this game. Is that the type of "humor" I should expect throughout?

I first heard of it when Patrick Klepeck gave it a shot a while ago, and decided to give it a shot myself.

Man, what a surprise. It was a perfect mix of dumb fun. The mechanics were solid, and the gags were amazing. The save station weaboo that nagged you every time you saved. The Michael Jackson sprite for Jordan. The Eternity song for Vinceborg fights.

One of my favorite games for sure.

epmode

The premise of this game looks so awesome but I'm not down with autism spectrum disorder being the but of one of the running jokes in this game. Is that the type of "humor" I should expect throughout?

It's a free game. Just try it. Or watch that Super Best Friends clip.

Top Bottom