• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG Remake | Final Previews are coming up

Draugoth

Gold Member

The Final Previews for Super Mario RPG Remake are coming up

Videos:

Blogposts:
Quotes:

VGC:
It’s authentic to the point that you could almost imagine switching the visuals back to the original pre-rendered sprites with the switch of a menu option, as – brilliantly – you can with the game’s soundtrack.
NintendoLife:
All in all, the first three hours of Super Mario RPG’s Switch remake have reminded us of just how delightful the original was. The SNES game is timeless, and so far, the Switch remake retains that level of excellence that we experienced in '96. If it manages to retain the charm and joy all the way through, all while sprinkling in a few little touches throughout, then we reckon every Mario fan – of Super Mario RPG or the character in general – will have their wish come true come 17th November.
DigitalTrends:
In general, Super Mario RPG seems much easier than its predecessor so far — and that’s not a bad thing. It’s mostly thanks to little changes like these that cut away some tedium. Autosaving, for instance, makes it so I’m no longer set back very far after a death. It’s also easier to fix up my party on the fly between battles with a more organized mini menu that groups items together (no more scrolling through 10 mushrooms to find syrup) and a quick ability menu that lets me use Mallow’s healing rain outside of battle.
GamesRadar:
Super Mario RPG is shaping up to be a fascinating remake. It does far more than simply offer a modernized visual retouch, but it makes its changes without any dramatic changes to the flow and spirit of the original game. It's absolutely faithful to the spirit of the original, but the developers have recognized the limitations and frustrations of the old game and made some smart adjustments to level out those issues without compromising what made it all great in the first place. I can't wait to see how the rest of the game plays out with all these changes in place.

Last edited:

Davevil

super-mario-rpg-v1-827401-640.webp

super-mario-rpg-v1-827400-640.webp

Super Mario Rpg will have a real instruction manual.
I cry

Power Pro

I'm gonna be getting this because I've never finished this game before. I played it briefly from a rental when I was a kid, but never owned it.

At the same time, after seeing some of these previews, I can't help but ask...such a 1 to 1 remake, I can't help but feel what's the point? It's just a visual upgrade, and not much else. I feel like if I had played the original, I would be a little disappointed that they weren't adding anything new to it. I kinda felt that way about Link's Awakening on Switch also. It was such a 1 to 1 version, that I just kinda felt like I had played the Gameboy game again.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I am really, really excited for this. A little nervous, too, I guess... what if I don't like it anymore?

Mario RPG was such an incredible game to me back in 1996 and had such a distinctive feel. I played through it at least 3-4 times back when it first launched, but haven't touched it since. Do I potentially trample on those good feels?

Obviously, yeah.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I gotta finish up Star Ocean 2 in time to play this. Looks amazing.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
something something put geno in smash

Anyway, the remake looks neat, and I got it with a voucher so I’ll give it a whirl when I have a chance. I don’t really have any nostalgia for the game, though. I’ve always liked the Mario & Luigi RPGs more. Still, this is a solid game and it’ll be fun to revisit.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nintendo are unstoppable.

What a fucking year, and the perfect celebration of how the switch has been the most amazing console with the strongest releases of any console in the last 20 to 30 years.

God damn, what a machine and a company. Great send off. GG Nintendo.

rsouzadk

Absolutely my fav game of all time (till this day i have the original one for snes). Nintendo is awesome this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom