• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Splatoon Info & Gameplay of Battle Dojo, amiibo, Single-Player

Ivan 3414

I was hoping for an overarching story, but the single player looks like nothing more than challenge rooms suspended over large void areas ala Super Mario Sunshine. I'm not impressed.

NotLiquid

I was hoping for an overarching story, but the single player looks like nothing more than challenge rooms suspended over large void areas ala Super Mario Sunshine. I'm not impressed.

There is a story and it matters about as much as your average Mario game.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

It's kinda weird. On the one hand the single player does look like the one from other multiplayer shootbangs in that it is superfluous. But at the same time their multiplayer is kinda gimped due to lack of voice chat too. So I can't tell what the focus of this game is. I'm guessing it's multiplayer.

Raide

Need to see more variety in those maps. The KotH mode looks like rushing in to a never-ending death-box. Pretty poor design when they are just corridors aiming at each other. Hoping they have some really memorable and interesting maps to play with down the line.

Love the splash of colour though. Really adds to the shooter genre amidst all the super serious military shooters.

test_account

XP-39C²
Need to see more variety in those maps. The KotH mode looks like rushing in to a never-ending death-box. Pretty poor design when they are just corridors aiming at each other. Hoping they have some really memorable and interesting maps to play with down the line.

Love the splash of colour though. Really adds to the shooter genre amidst all the super serious military shooters.
Check this video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qASMCQZWxqs

Splatoon looks like such great, cute fun! I'm so glad do secured my Splatoon amiibo to go with it so I can get everything it has to offer, there's so much color and it has its own unique flair that I hope it does well for the platform it's on and the fact that it's a new IP.

I hope the population remains, if anything, small and dedicated. Fingers crossed.

SuomiDude

I didn't really care for the single player mission and since that would be my only reason to buy the game, I'll pass this one.

Those maps looks pretty fun. Hoping they add some more interactive elements in there as well. I saw the fans etc from the SP, so bits like that will mix it up.

Thinking about it, Splatoon could really do with a Halo Forge style map maker. Would be pretty cool to see community made stuff appearing!

This is why we need to buy it. To encourage Splatoon 2. Seriously, this is a brand new IP from Nintendo. I remember the original Smash being pretty bare bones. Melee was where it took off.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Gamexplain using super mario sunshine music in their preview had me expecting a F.L.U.D.D. reveal. :/

Raide

This is why we need to buy it. To encourage Splatoon 2. Seriously, this is a brand new IP from Nintendo. I remember the original Smash being pretty bare bones. Melee was where it took off.

I hope it does well but my fear is that it will shift about 100k copies and the community will be dead in weeks. Such an interesting spin away from the usual shooter fare we have.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I like the look of 1 vs. 1, seems to be fun.

That amiibo challenge - going through the level only using the roller - makes it quite difficult compared to the original one. Especially in the part where you come in cross fire of the enemies that are placed higher than you.

I hope it does well but my fear is that it will shift about 100k copies and the community will be dead in weeks. Such an interesting spin away from the usual shooter fare we have.

COD and Splinter Cell sold maybe a quarter of that and the communities are still alive and well.

Plus, even W101 sold more than that in US alone.

atr0cious

From the Test Chamber video:

ruavxe.gif

It's moments like this that get me really excited for this game.

The Test Chamber video also confirms you can use CC or CCPro for 1v1, don't know if that was ever stamped down.
I hope it does well but my fear is that it will shift about 100k copies and the community will be dead in weeks.

Then why do you say this? Imagine looking from the outside in and hearing about a brand new game, but then every time it's mentioned someone mentions it probably won't sell, and it's gonna have a shit community. Would you buy that game? No of course not, that's just being smart with your money. Why poison the well when right now this game is showing nothing but promise? Launch is a month away, then you can post about how you just knew it was gonna be a bomb.

Keep pushing that self-fulfilling prophecy.

We hear this about every single Wii U game CONSTANTLY before launch. It's getting fucking old.

Pizza

Is there any info for online split screen? I know theres a local split screen mode but I'd love to play online!

NateDrake

Keep pushing that self-fulfilling prophecy.

We hear this about every single Wii U game CONSTANTLY before launch. It's getting fucking old.

It is boring argument since it's so frequent.

Splatoon seems to have piqued the interest of a lot of people and every time the game is demoed at an event it has insanely long lines. The gaming community seems to have some excitement for this title.

test_account

XP-39C²
Those maps looks pretty fun. Hoping they add some more interactive elements in there as well. I saw the fans etc from the SP, so bits like that will mix it up.

Thinking about it, Splatoon could really do with a Halo Forge style map maker. Would be pretty cool to see community made stuff appearing!
Yeah, that would be cool =)

From the Test Chamber video:

ruavxe.gif

It's moments like this that get me really excited for this game.

The Test Chamber video also confirms you can use CC or CCPro for 1v1, don't know if that was ever stamped down.
Do we know if its easy to spot people hiding in the ink? Its easy to see it on yourself (the small wave that indicates where you are), but in that .gif, it looks kinda hard to see that the enemy is coming. But maybe it is just because that the .gif is small (as in, its easier to see it when playing the game on a bigger screen).

Red Devil

It's kinda weird. On the one hand the single player does look like the one from other multiplayer shootbangs in that it is superfluous. But at the same time their multiplayer is kinda gimped due to lack of voice chat too. So I can't tell what the focus of this game is. I'm guessing it's multiplayer.

What a weird thing to say, since it's been revealed the focus was on multiplayer...

And perhaps that number is generous.

DaBoss

While explaining why Ranked Battles requires you to be at lvl10

Corey: "You certainly don't want 3 noobs on your team."

lol

KHlover

Banned
What a weird thing to say, since it's been revealed the focus was on multiplayer...

And perhaps that number is generous.

You seriously expect this game to sell worse than Wonderful 101? No fucking way, Splatoon already has created way more hype than W101 ever has and unlike the former has the full marketing of Nintendo behind it.

Very hard to guesstimate, but I expect the game to end up anywhere between 500k (disappointing end of the scale) and 1-1.5Mil LT. Depends on word of mouth after launch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Is split screen 4 players?

No split screen info until now, so it's safe to assume that none is in the game. The 1 vs. 1 local MP is done using the 2 screens.

I watched finally also the level 6 of SP, looking very nice. The levels I saw until now have a very nice and tight design. A great 3d platformer (rarely seen these days).

Was it ever confirmed if you can use the CC Pro for all of the game modes?

If I have to use the uncomfortable bulky gamepad then I'm not going to buy this.

Exile20

While explaining why Ranked Battles requires you to be at lvl10

Corey: "You certainly don't want 3 noobs on your team."

lol

Avoids situations such as

Dude: "I am 10th prestige in COD"
*Goes directly into ranked games*
First game in ranked: REKT

boiled goose

good with gravy
No split screen info until now, so it's safe to assume that none is in the game. The 1 vs. 1 local MP is done using the 2 screens.

I watched finally also the level 6 of SP, looking very nice. The levels I saw until now have a very nice and tight design. A great 3d platformer (rarely seen these days).

Disappointed that no split screen And no voice chat. No fun with friends I guess.

Diffense

If I had to guess I'd say Splatoon has the ingredients of a winner.

1)Anecdotally, people seem to find the inklings appealing
2)The multiplayer focus makes it the kind of game you'd get in order to play with friends
3)It fits with Mario Kart 8 (multi-player racing) and Smash Brothers (multi-player fighting) which have sold very well on Wii U relative to userbase.

That doesn't mean it'll do well but I think it has potential.

Top Bottom