• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendos software is incredibly Gordian for 2015

LordOfChaos

EDIT: Necessary, apparently, I think I picked a word that was too byzantine for some. Not to be rude, just to hopefully oil this thing along -
(and this was that ever so confusing three syllable word I used by the way, the mods are screwing with the title because they are hi-larious).
Overly complex or intricate.
a Byzantine system of regulations

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Byzantine

I picked up a 2DS from Target Canada while they were liquidating, half off so I thought what the hell. Didn't have much chance to use it until now.

Went into street pass, there was an update available. Ok, go for it. Hit ok, confirm ok, yes it's ok it will take a while. Loads for a minute, then tells me I need to do a system update first. Figure out how to do that, easy enough. Start system update, confirm system update, yes it's fucking ok it will take a while. System update done.

Go back to streetpass plaza, start update. Hit ok, confirm ok, yes it's ok it will take a while. Connecting to online account. Cool. Takes a minute. Then tells me I don't have enough SD storage space. You couldn't check that first?! There's a message that tells me where to go to free storage. So, why can't there just be a button within the message that takes me there?

It could be because every time you close software, there's a button to really close it, and then a confirmation dialogue. Ach, getting real tired of your shit, Nintendo. A few more seconds of wait after you hit the *real* close button, too, because...I dunno. Nintendo.

Delete some crap. Go back to install the thing. Hit ok, confirm ok, yes it's ok it will take a while. Works this time. Go through the new Plaza to see what's new. Go through a bunch of dialogue with a talking rabbit just to see screenshots of each game. You can hold R, but it's still pretty slow.

Did I mention slow? The byzantine software layout may not even bug me as much if the thing was fast, but this is *really* slow. It's old hardware, I get that, plus it was low end hardware even at launch, but that doesn't stop it from being aggravating. The eShop being the worst of it. Going back and forth through pages is painstaking.

Some people have and probably will try to remind me that Nintendo is focused a lot on children. I honestly don't think even kids need all this padding though - this is the iPad generation, they'll get the hang of things in a jiffy, and don't need three confirmations from a talking dildo or whatever weird crap Nintendo wants to do every time they open or close software or after they've already said yes to a download.

Even with more attractive games on it than smartphones have, I find myself almost reluctant to use it every time for the slowness and very pre-iPhone software.

Anywho...There's my rant. Anyone feel the same?

Second edit: If you want to save yourself some time, this is the rest of this thread

8gyXFyb.jpg

Never heard of the word byzantine before and a quick search in google doesn't make me know what does it have to do with Nintendo's software.

Rayven

aka surume
I've found Wii U to be much more usable. I actually gave up on purchasing something from the 3DS Eshop after struggling with the confusing flows and dead slow response speed.

Escalario

Banned
You picked up a new 2DS, and there wasn't enough SD storage to update it?

Weird, ain't it? Every 2DS comes with a 4GB SD card (the only model that comes with a 2GB one is the normal 3DS, if I'm correct). In any case, there would be enough storage to download the updates.

LordOfChaos

Never heard of the word byzantine before and a quick search in google doesn't make me know what does it have to do with Nintendo's software.

As in, an empire that existed 1600 years ago. IE: Nintendo is behind the times.

The word is used to describe something that is needlessly complex/convoluted. The origin being in relation to that ancient empire, yes, but it doesn't mean behind the times.

Overly complex or intricate.
a Byzantine system of regulations

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Byzantine

You picked up a new 2DS, and there wasn't enough SD storage to update it?

I did download some stuffs.

Nosgotham

Yeah I've never been much bothered by it, but I can see the frustration it could cause. I feel that way about re downloading software on 360 but I just call it complicated and annoying, not Byzantine

Kazerei

Banned
I don't find the 3DS any more byzantine than other consoles. They all require system updates, game patches, etc. to get started. I do think the UI, and especially the eShop, can be improved, but I don't think it's overly complex so much as just poorly organized.

leroidys

See my post with the definition I'm using above. Do you even vocabulary, bros.
Unnecessarily chatty and slow? Absolutely. Not seeing how requiring enough diskspace to install an update is incredibly convoluted.

You keep comparing it to your idevices, but literally every step you described applies to them too. If you hit the home button, it does not actually close the app.

Grylvak

I do see where you're coming from, the menus can be a bit much at times. I don't mind them as much though. I can only assume it's for kids who don't know what they're doing, and close software by mistake.

Your first mistake was buying a 2DS.

Your second mistake was using the word "byzantine" on a forum filled with people who couldn't wrap their heads around "verisimilitude."

LordOfChaos

Not seeing how requiring enough diskspace to install an update is incredibly convoluted.

...That's not what I'm complaining about. It's all the padding around getting through the system. For example, when it said I was out of space, why would that message not have a button to take me to the disk space section?

leroidys

...That's not what I'm complaining about. It's all the padding around getting through the system. For example, when it said I was out of space, why would that message not have a button to take me to the disk space section?

Does the iPhone do this?
Also, see my edit above.

Rubixcuba

Banned
So, you had a system update then a full SD card? Now that you have updated, and assuming you made some room on your SD card the problem is you have to:

1) Confirm to close software.
2) Wait a few seconds.

Seems awfully minor.

LordOfChaos

Does the iPhone do this?
Also, see my edit above.

I dunno, my Android phone does. If I have a bunch of app updates, it will give me a warning that I'm out of space, then clicking that warning takes me right to the app install place with listed sizes.

LordOfChaos

You keep comparing it to your idevices, but literally every step you described applies to them too. If you hit the home button, it does not actually close the app.

Not a great comparison; If you launch another app, it won't ask you to close the first one. It will suspend the state to disk and boot it out of RAM if it needs to. You just open and close to your hearts content, and the OS takes care of everything. Like it should in 20 frickin 15. Even the very first iPhone didn't have all these confirmations for closing and opening apps. That was in what, 2007? The 3DS launched years after that.

leroidys

Not a great comparison; If you launch another app, it won't ask you to close the first one. It will suspend the state to disk and boot it out of RAM if it needs to. You just open and close to your hearts content, and the OS takes care of everything. Like it should in 20 frickin 15. Even the very first iPhone didn't have all these confirmations for closing and opening apps.

Obviously it can only run one game/application at once. Would you rather it reclaim the RAM without asking you? I don't get it.

WillyFive

I dunno, my Android phone does. If I have a bunch of app updates, it will give me a warning that I'm out of space, then clicking that warning takes me right to the app install place with listed sizes.

iOS also gives you the courtesy of reminding you that you're low on space; and you can delete the app straight-up from the home screen without needing to go into some sub-section of the settings menu like on the Nintendo systems.

LordOfChaos

Obviously it can only run one game/application at once. Would you rather it reclaim the RAM without asking you? I don't get it.

Yes? Why not? If I've selected another app to launch, why would you not want it to suspend the state of the first one and launch the second one without having the confirmations? It's the other way I don't get. I've already selected a new app. That means I want the new app in RAM. That means it's free to boot the old app from RAM.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I approve of TC's use of "byzantine."

The available space (retail) on an xDS is pretty weak, IMO.

Still, the library is fantastic.

Top Bottom