• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All three PSP Battlefront games are now available on Vita (NA)

Ken

Is Renegade/Elite Squadron just EPIV+ stuff?

Oh nevermind, the wiki says it has the Republic clone army and CIS.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Man I miss the glory days of western third party support on handhelds. You never really appreciated it until it was gone. PSP really was one of a kind.

mclem

It is worth noting that while Battlefront II was a (great) mobile companion to the PS2 game, Renegade and Elite Squadron were built specifically for the PSP and are excellent, optimized, content-full games.

Elite Squadron was meant to be a mobile companion to the then-Battlefront III, running off the same base as the PS2 version; the "cross-gen version", effectively

Wait did I just read that Elite had ground to space battles? How did that work? That makes the lack of space battle in EA's battlefront even more embarrassing.

The (then) next-gen Battlefront III was meant to have a vertical battlefield, transferring seamlessly from fighting on the ground to flying over the planet's surface to space to on board a capital ship to (via an escape pod) the ground again. On the PSP and PS2, we implemented that with loads between each of the environments.

Elite Squadron was meant to be a mobile companion to the then-Battlefront III, running off the same base as the PS2 version; the "cross-gen version", effectively

The (then) next-gen Battlefront III was meant to have a vertical battlefield, transferring seamlessly from fighting on the ground to flying over the planet's surface to space to on board a capital ship to (via an escape pod) the ground again. On the PSP and PS2, we implemented that with loads between each of the environments.

We? You worked on the game? What happened to the PS2 version?

mclem

We? You worked on the game? What happened to the PS2 version?

There was a short period after the next-gen versions were canned when we were expecting to release on both PS2 and PSP. I'm not fully sure why they decided against PS2 in the end, I'm afraid; the nature of our engine meant that it was roughly equally progressed on both platforms, so it's not like one was markedly further back than the other.

My best guess is that the PS2 version only existed to try to mop up sales from people who hadn't upgraded to next-gen yet, and when it stopped being Battlefront III that reason for existing went away, so better to just reduce costs further and release on PSP alone as an explicit side-game rather than a mainline title.

SeppOCE

There was a short period after the next-gen versions were canned when we were expecting to release on both PS2 and PSP. I'm not fully sure why they decided against PS2 in the end, I'm afraid; the nature of our engine meant that it was roughly equally progressed on both platforms, so it's not like one was markedly further back than the other.

My best guess is that the PS2 version only existed to try to mop up sales from people who hadn't upgraded to next-gen yet, and when it stopped being Battlefront III that reason for existing went away, so better to just reduce costs further and release on PSP alone as an explicit side-game rather than a mainline title.

Seeing as you worked on Battlefront III How do you feel about the direction EA is taking it?

mclem

Seeing as you worked on Battlefront III How do you feel about the direction EA is taking it?
I'm afraid I'm the wrong person to ask! I'm not in the games industry any more, so I'm driven more by my own tastes; and multiplayer shooters are - mostly - not to my tastes. I've not been paying attention; I haven't even watched the recent trailer.

Does Elite or Renegade have online MP or adhoc? Would consider if that is the case

Both had adhoc. I *think* both had online, too - Elite did, certainly - through Gamespy; I've no idea if some infrastructure for it still exists, though, since GS closed.

Fisty

Both had adhoc. I *think* both had online, too - Elite did, certainly - through Gamespy; I've no idea if some infrastructure for it still exists, though, since GS closed.

Awesome thanks, loved the BF games on PS2. My son and I should have alot of fun with these with vita adhoc. You helped make some great games, thanks!

Tapejara

After playing the PSP version of Battlefront 2 for the past week, Renegade Squadron is quite jarring. Graphics and draw distance are significantly worse, but aside from the lack of first person view it's a more feature-complete game than BF2. Shame lightsaber combat is terrible.

Will try out Elite Squadron next. I remember enjoying the PSP demo a few years ago; hopefully it still holds up well.

MattyG

Banned
I was about to pull the trigger, but I'm not sure about getting them all. Are they all worth getting? Is there enough unique content in all of them to justify it? I'm going to be travelling next week, so I'd be playing a lot of single player.

I was about to pull the trigger, but I'm not sure about getting them all. Are they all worth getting? Is there enough unique content in all of them to justify it? I'm going to be travelling next week, so I'd be playing a lot of single player.

I just want to know if online multiplayer works with any of these on Vita... anyone confirming this?

mclem

Awesome thanks, loved the BF games on PS2. My son and I should have alot of fun with these with vita adhoc. You helped make some great games, thanks!

Only Elite Squadron, I was elsewhere in the company when Renegade Squadron happened (I think on Sniper Elite, but don't quote me on that)

Only Elite Squadron, I was elsewhere in the company when Renegade Squadron happened (I think on Sniper Elite, but don't quote me on that)

This is why I love GAF. You randomly run across developers of your favorite games. Thanks for your work on one of my favorite series ever!

That said. I don't know which one to pick: elite or renegade. Doesn't seem like there's a consistent answer.

Put numerous hours into 2 and RS back when, but never played Elite. They're cheap enough to go for all three, IMO.

Also, for what it's worth, I think the PSP version of Force Unleashed is one of the best versions of that game. Order 66 mode and the Historic Battles were really cool bonus features.

mclem

This is why I love GAF. You randomly run across developers of your favorite games. Thanks for your work on one of my favorite series ever!

Don't blow me up out of proportion! I'm just some pleb who wrote some code, and probably grumbled while doing it!

Don't blow me up out of proportion! I'm just some pleb who wrote some code, and probably grumbled while doing it!

This guy... Truly the heart and soul of the entire Star Wars universe. We probably would not have video games anymore if not for your passionate efforts. And yet so modest!

Get 2 and Renegade.

Elite has some problems, no disrespect to the dev in this thread.

Regular online MP does not work due to GameSpy shutting down. Have no idea if the various adhoc solutions do.

can someone explain adhoc solutions in this case? :D

Heads-up, Renegade Squadron cannot be transferred from PS3 to Vita. I bought it on the web store, downloaded it to the PS3 from my DL history (was trying to avoid Vita's pitiful DL speeds), and it never showed up on the Content Manager. BFII transferred just fine. Contacted CS and they told me to try downloading it again from the sale page on the PS3 store, so I did that, and still no go. Apparently you have to download it directly from the Vita store itself (works fine from there).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Thanks for the heads up. Got Battlefront 2 and Renegade Squadron. :)

MattyG

Banned
Just bought them all. I'm going to Florida next week and due to certain circumstances there's probably going to be a lot of sitting around, so I'm going to be playing A LOT of Battlefront.

I wonder who we have to thank for this. Sony? Disney? EA? Sale price aside, I hope the games sell enough to demonstrate there is enough of a digital PSP market for other major PSP titles, like WipeOut Pure, and obviously Portable Ops and Metal Gear Acid, stand a chance at becoming Vita/PS TV compatible. Or in the case of MGA, hitting PSN at all.

So the PS2 and PSP versions were functionally the same game? Same maps, same customization, same mechanics?

Too bad it was never leaked like Free Radical's SWBF3 was.

Just bought them all. I'm going to Florida next week and due to certain circumstances there's probably going to be a lot of sitting around, so I'm going to be playing A LOT of Battlefront.

Great timing eh?

I'm going to get them all as well. Ever since that Darth Vader PSP, I've been meaning to give these a go. Glad I can finally play them with two sticks too.

mclem

So the PS2 and PSP versions were functionally the same game? Same maps, same customization, same mechanics?

Too bad it was never leaked like Free Radical's SWBF3 was.

I don't recall any substantial differences. Other than concessions to controls and stuff like that, of course! That said, since the PS2 version was cancelled a few months before the PSP one was completed, there's a good deal of general (non-platform specific) polish that never got propogated out to that iteration.

Great timing eh?

I'm going to get them all as well. Ever since that Darth Vader PSP, I've been meaning to give these a go. Glad I can finally play them with two sticks too.
As I said, I didn't work on Renegade Squadron... but I do recall being somewhat jealous when I saw the team over there get not just the traditional free copy of the game, but also the Darth PSP to play it on.

I was most upset when LA didn't do the same for Elite Squadron! (We did get a freebie The Force Unleashed out of it, so it wasn't all bad.)

ascii42

I guess it would have been a bit weird to have Battlefront III console-exclusive to the PS2 in 2009.

MattyG

Banned
If they got pretty much the full BF2 experience AND a
somewhat gimped
space to surface battle system on the PSP, imagine what we could've had from a Vita version.

Now I'm just making myself sad thinking of the possibilities.

Top Bottom