• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Body shaming backlash fails miserably, Protein World makes a million

Status
Not open for further replies.

OctoMan

Banned
beach-body-ready.jpeg

Basically they got attacked hardcore on twitter and in real life vandalism and threats, but it seemed to work in the form of money. They've gone from a small business to a large one over night.

http://www.businessinsider.com/prot...the-beach-body-ready-campaign-backlash-2015-4

Streisand effect and all that.

Their Twitter played a big role too. They more than accepted their role as a 'villian' and it seems it'll pay off. There's been a bunch of articles written how this new style of marketing is pretty much unheard of but apparently absolutely brilliant to get eyes on your product. Interesting, I think.

They won't be allowed to do a second round of the same adverts however.

Edit

Post the pics OP

mdOd5SW.png

Fnbjxbv.png

rj74Dfw.png

YtuqHcn.jpg

i really dont see what's wrong with that ad. That women looks like she's in healthy shape and wanting to look good for beach season is a sensible thing.

moggio

Banned
Scumbag company championed by misogynist, body shaming, MRA dickbag, Gamergate thundercunts.

Hopefully they'll go out of business ASAP.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Lol, good. I'm glad they made out. People get so touchy over the most irrelevant things nowadays. There are bigger things to invest your time in besides hating a fitness company for using a very in shape person's picture on a billboard.

Just in case you missed it, the article lists the source of that million came from some god awful Brietbart article that uses 'Social Justice Warrior' unironically. So I wouldn't believe it until confirmation from the actual company.

Zaph

Saw them all over the tube, both the male and female version, with the lame activist vandalism.

Not a fan of diet supplements in general, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the advert. As a nation we're getting far too fat, so I'm kinda glad the company didn't meekly apologise and back off.

Abounder

Banned
Basically they got attacked hardcore on twitter and in real life vandalism and threats, but it seemed to work in the form of money. They've gone from a small business to a large one over night.

http://www.businessinsider.com/prot...the-beach-body-ready-campaign-backlash-2015-4

Streisand effect and all that.

Their Twitter played a big role too. They more than accepted their role as a 'villian' and it seems it'll pay off. There's been a bunch of articles written how this new style of marketing is pretty much unheard of but apparently absolutely brilliant to get eyes on your product. Interesting, I think.

They won't be allowed to do a second round of the same adverts however.

Hah so it's like another Wolf on Wall Street....no such thing as bad publicity for a startup

Advertising is all about ideals. It's not body shaming. It's saying "here's the ideal we'd all like to meet, our product can help". There's nothing wrong with this ad, and I say that as an overweight person.

The sourcing for the "made 1 million in 4 days" seems a bit shaky. If you look at the two articles they mention, they don't seem to back that up in any strong way.

Afrodium

Banned
The woman has a fairly unrealistic body and the product is unlikely to give people those results, but I wouldn't call it body shaming. Is it problematic that the ad perpetuates unrealistic standards for women? Sure. Is it problematic because it promotes a fit body over an overweight one? I don't think so.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Scumbag company championed by misogynist, body shaming, MRA dickbag, Gamergate thundercunts.

Hopefully they'll go out of business ASAP.

I don't see anything wrong with the Advert and showing a figure of an attractive women that could aspire others on wanting to go for that "beach" body if working with a good diet?

gerg

I think the way the company handled the situation was pretty poor. When you're retweeting Katie Hopkins you should realise something's probably wrong.

moggio

Banned
I don't see anything wrong with the Advert and showing a figure of an attractive women that could aspire others on wanting to go for that "beach" body if working with a good diet?

It's less the advert and more the behaviour of the company on Twitter.

Pakkidis

There's been a bunch of articles written how this new style of marketing is pretty much unheard of but apparently absolutely brilliant to get eyes on your product.

Um, Putting a beautiful women in a bikini on a billboard is a new style or marketing?

Isn't this marketing 101...

Moff

it's really simple, as long as women buy beauty products from ads like these, we will get more ads like these

I know from local manufacturers who tried ads with more normal looking women, and guess what, they got tons of praise, but sold much less

I never see men complaining when almost every form of popular media sexualizes their bodies.

And it is crazy difficult to attain the standard of masculine appearance that movies portray.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Another example of how well-meaning moralizing campaigns can fail to achieve their stated goals

I never see men complaining when almost every form of popular media sexualizes their bodies.

And it is crazy difficult to attain the standard of masculine appearance that movies portray.

The patriarchy has brainwashed men

coleco

So most ads tend to show attractive people. Models are usually on the attractive side of the population. Yet somehow this company is singled out for showing a fit woman in a bikini when advertising a product to be in shape. Ok.

Captcha

I think the thing is that they are kinda cunty on twitter.

*see above*

e: beaten like the downtrodden masses of twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom