• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Body shaming backlash fails miserably, Protein World makes a million

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogflaps

Banned
Scumbag company championed by misogynist, body shaming, MRA dickbag, Gamergate thundercunts.

Hopefully they'll go out of business ASAP.

.... What? The term 'Beach Body' has been around for eons without issue. They aren't doing anything new or original, they were just randomly targeted by the HAES movement.

I don't really see anything too bad in those twitter screenshots. Was there something else worth hoping that the CEO gets eaten by a shark?

Edit: ^ really? Vile?

Dilly

Banned
Those Twitter reactions are a bit too much though. As far as I know, this isn't the first time that an ad with a photoshopped model on it has been banned though.

Arkeband

Banned
Are there seriously people that look at the original photoshopped woman in the ad and think she's "in shape"?

Simply not eating is not "living a healthy lifestyle". Anyone can be an emaciated skeleton with the proper malnutrition.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I dont see anything wrong with the ad, and I dont understand why we need to make heavy people feel okay in there bodies, that's not anyone's job. If someone is out of shape or fat, it seems understandable that they would feel unattractive and unhealthy, hopefully they take those feelings and use them as motivation to get healthy again. The whole "you are perfect the way you are" thing just seems like a Mr. Rogers way of passing off unhealthy habits and issues, and almost a negative thing to promote as it does nothing but enables bad habits.

Are there seriously people that look at the original photoshopped woman in the ad and think she's "in shape"?

Simply not eating is not "living a healthy lifestyle". Anyone can be an emaciated skeleton with the proper malnutrition.

The woman in the ad doesnt seem that much different than women you'd find at the beach in a major city.

Azzurri

Scumbag company championed by misogynist, body shaming, MRA dickbag, Gamergate thundercunts.

Hopefully they'll go out of business ASAP.
Joke Post?

Also, I don't get what the company would show? I mean it's a health and fitness company of course they're going to advertise people with nice bodies, that's the whole point.

Angelus was right. There's a defense force here for everything except women. Can't believe people are defending their twitter tirade. Wow.

Is that what's going on here, though?

To me, they're just being snarky to people on Twitter trying to give them shit. Am I missing something?

Daemul

Post the pics OP

mdOd5SW.png

Fnbjxbv.png

rj74Dfw.png

YtuqHcn.jpg

This is glorious.

It still causes a quarter of all deaths in the UK, every 7 minutes some will die of a heart attack in the UK, and it is the UK's biggest killer.

You didn't comprehend what I was saying. All people die. A high rate of deaths being due to 'heart disease' indicates a generally more healthy society than one dying due to things like starvation or diseases uncommon in the first world. 'Heart disease' covers a huge range of things, many of which are linked primarily to age. In any case this is off topic, but I wanted to clarify.

KrellRell

Wow, I feel like I've seen this ad a million times? What's the big deal? Would it make sense to put someone fat up there to sell weight loss products?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Holy shit. That Twitter account is like a cathartic release for every promotions and marketing firm in the 21st century. Goddamn that must've felt amazing.

Cagey

Banned
Is that what's going on here, though?

To me, they're just being snarky to people on Twitter trying to give them shit. Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything that's relevant or important, no.

It's an instance of a small subset of GAF feeling #WeHaveAlreadyDecided the Correct Opinion on an issue, and then having to confront the reality that no, in fact, that isn't the case.

Nosgotham

I don't get what the outrage is about. Every woman I know is trying to slim down and tone up for bikini season. They are also pretty healthy and active individuals. I'm sure this ad is aimed at their demo.

It's ok to have a goal like that, isn't it?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You didn't comprehend what I was saying. All people die. A high rate of deaths being due to 'heart disease' indicates a generally more healthy society than one dying due to things like starvation or diseases uncommon in the first world. 'Heart disease' covers a huge range of things, many of which are linked primarily to age. In any case this is off topic, but I wanted to clarify.

And many are caused by being overweight, having, high cholesterol, smoking etc. And that's some backwards ass thinking it's allright if we're starving at least we're not dying in a war, which kills more people, It's alright we're not dying from starvation small pox kills much less.

Though only reason we reached this point was by not following your non-progressive advice jesus Christ.

Im really not seeing the issue here.

Company creates health products.
Company advertises that their products make you healthier.
Takes advantage of the season where tons of people are trying to get in better shape for the season.

Someone walk me through why this is offensive.

Like if wendy's said EAT A REAL BURGER to promote all beef patties or something, are they burger shaming people who dont eat those burgers?

jtb

Banned
The ad is fine.

The twitter replies are crass and needlessly dickish. It's not a crime to have a bit of empathy or, god forbid, taste.

Bogey

Banned
Wow, it's like people are just trying to construct reasons to get upset these days.
For many if not most people, that body in the picture is not even unrealistic per se. A comparable sportiness is very achieveable if we put enough effort into it.
Of course we don't, because.. well who likes to gym 7 days a week. But that's our own choice, and maybe it doesn't hurt to be reminded of ideal goals we can strive for.

But of course, these days we'all victims, aren't we. It's not my fault if I'm fat and/or too lazy to do sports more often, it's the society's fault for setting "unrealistic" standards.

When some university advertises their physics degree with a picture of Einstein, I don't start rioting on Twitter because I'll never become a physics genius myself.
When parents tell their kid it can be president or fly to the moon someday, I won't start a campaign against them because that'll never happen either.

Usually, it doesn't hurt to set high standards and then start trying to reach them step by step. No, maybe I won't end up inventing the theory of relativity while governing the United States from the moon, but I'll probably end up having achieved more on my way trying than I had if I hadn't had any motivation or unrealistic targets when I started.

Or I just ask for all desirable goals and ideals to be removed, and demand ads to only show average joes anymore. Than I won't have to change or strive for anything, how comfortable.

As a fattie myself I care little for what they've said. It's a fitness product. It's supposed to make you lose weight. I'm glad they were honest instead of toting out a typical apology that they didn't really mean like every other company.

JB1981

I'm trying to get myself beach body ready right now. I don't think I know a single living female woman in real life that would look at that ad and feel ashamed. They look at that ad and say, "damn i need to look like that by summer."

Everyone who is attacking them are far too sensitive. Unless you have a medical condition or something along those lines, you have only yourself to blame for not accepting your body.
Get off the couch, stop crying and stop 'cheating' on your diet.
The CEO is a bit immature, yes, but whining that you don't look like someone who is dedicated to being healthy is far worse.

Heysoos

Right? Eat a fucking cheeseburger woman! Real women have curves!!!!! /s

Can someone explain to me how their twitter "tirade" is attacking women? I don't see it. Would it be better if it was a man on the ad?

Arkeband

Banned
I dont see anything wrong with the ad, and I dont understand why we need to make heavy people feel okay in there bodies, that's not anyone's job. If someone is out of shape or fat, it seems understandable that they would feel unattractive and unhealthy, hopefully they take those feelings and use them as motivation to get healthy again. The whole "you are perfect the way you are" thing just seems like a Mr. Rogers way of passing off unhealthy habits and issues, and almost a negative thing to promote as it does nothing but enables bad habits.

The woman in the ad doesnt seem that much different than women you'd find at the beach in a major city.

Pop culture has only begun to dissociate from the dangerous status quo of anorexia.

Is this an ad to get jimmies rustled over? Probably not, every scumbag diet/health pill outlet is at the very least stretching the truth in some way. But defending it as 'well real people are sometimes photoshopped in real life' is also pretty stupid.

Carl

So when someone tells me I'm not in shape o can tell them they're SHAPE SHAMING because my body is a shape.

coleco

That's just a normal fit body. Plenty of those, in varying degrees, in any gym or sports team.

Captcha

Do you even know what an in shape women looks like? She looks thin, but not at all weak. She definitely isn't emaciated, jesus.

As soon as someone is skinnier or fatter than average people can't wait to talk shit about their bodies.

Afrodium

Banned

I don't think the ad is body shaming, but I do think it's problematic due to posts like this. Even the woman in the ad doesn't look like the woman in the ad - she's Photoshopped to death. This isn't a body you get from exercising, it's one you get from not eating. Do you see how far in her sides go? How far apart her thighs are?

KorrZ

The ad is fine.

The twitter replies are crass and needlessly dickish. It's not a crime to have a bit of empathy or, god forbid, taste.

To be fair the tweets they're responding to are needlessly passive aggressive as well. Those tweets @Protein World are coming based off of the ad in the OP which is an overreaction. Also nothing they replied with was actually factually wrong....

Promoting Good Health = Body Shaming nowadays

SMH! Next you'll be telling me that having good teeth or telling someone to brush regularly is body shaming and we should be proud of our dirty & smelly teeth.
This isn't body shaming, this is revealing your inner insecurities.

I honestly don't understand people who love being fat and then get upset when someone's like,
"Dude you could lose a few pounds, prevent heart disease or diabetes maybe?"

Be fat. Be proud of being fat. Enjoy it. Own it. But don't cry when a bodybuilder walks by.

Nowhere does that ad say normal people can't go to the beach. Bunch of people looking for something to hate on.

Good for the company.

What is normal though? Must I have a gut of significant girth to be considered normal?

Seventy70

If the person in the ad was fat and society preferred fat people, wouldn't that still be body shaming? Instead, why don't people learn that an ad is an ad and not to take it so seriously?

RefigeKru

Banned
Post the pics OP

mdOd5SW.png

Harriet catching feels, damn.

I'm glad to be honest, twitter champions need put in their place every so often.

No one likes to talk about the fact that some people DO have great bodies, hard earnt too and yes there are attractive people out there.

Yes they end up being used to advertise products, yes they're in our films, our music, our magazines and attacking this one advert for this one product won't change a damn thing.

Like, yeah there are attractive people out there. Some find this offensive.

Fuchsdh

I see nothing wrong with the ad but yikes at those twitter posts. Straight up vile.

Vile? They're certainly not taking the high ground when it comes to responding to criticism, but it's not weird to me that a company on the receiving end of these kinds of attacks would respond in kind. That's the result of the direct connections Twitter encourages.

I think their response appeals to a lot of people because they're tired of being told they're responsible for destroying young people's minds and, in the middle of an obesity epidemic, the people who are getting demonized the most are those focused on fitness. So yeah, a company who doesn't back down in the faux-apology mode is going to stand out.

The ad itself is no different from anything I've seen from gyms, weight loss supplement companies, and the like. I'm certainly not going to support them—no one needs their products to improve their lifestyle and living. But I do agree with their sentiment that portions of the web have gone from preaching a message about appreciating your body to hating anyone who looks better than you do.

I don't think the ad is body shaming, but I do think it's problematic due to posts like this. Even the woman in the ad doesn't look like the woman in the ad - she's Photoshopped to death. This isn't a body you get from exercising, it's one you get from not eating. Do you see how far in her sides go? How far apart her thighs are?

Photoshop makes a lot of things possible, but without seeing the original image you really can't say "oh this person is starving and they photoshopped her to be healthy." Lots of people have enviable figures naturally. It's like looking at a random "fat" guy who can bench 300 pounds. Someone somewhere has the image of Olympic athletes where a bunch of objectively fit people have drastically different shapes—some of them would get called out for being unhealthily thin or unhealthily heavy.

I'm a fat guy who hates that it's "okay" to call people "fatties" and get pissed that people harassing overweight people online is basically okay on every major forum.

But this isn't attacking fat people. It's aimed at those already skinny people who need to lose 20 pounds or tighten up.

It's not attacking fat people.

Amen brother,

It seems everybody wants to be offended at the drop of a hat these days

Daemul

Have you never been to a gym or any sports club bruh? You'll see plenty of women with that type of body in those places, it's healthy body shape.

Dat thigh gap though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom