• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Body shaming backlash fails miserably, Protein World makes a million

Status
Not open for further replies.
IFcyioQ.jpg

aydbUn4.jpg

mzNBjeP.jpg

ATQYjJi.jpg

rHSpWEc.jpg

I see nothing wrong with their twitter approach, either. If someone was putting my company on blast because they couldn't come to grips with my product I would put them in their place. The ads aren't offensive in any sort of way.

What's the problem with wanting to push a product that is meant to help you be healthier by showing a fit person? If you're secure in how your body looks then there shouldn't be an issue. And if you aren't, antagonizing this company for their ad campaign isn't the proper means of approaching that insecurity.

christ.
Agreed and co-signed.

OnPoint

Wow those blog comments are ridiculous. People are out of control.

And as for the Twitter feed, man, that's great.

I'm guessing most of the replies in this thread aren't from young women with low self esteem that get constantly reminded about the importance of their body image, because that's the vulnerability that this company is hoping to exploit for profit with their magical products that probably won't turn you into a skinny supermodel in time for summer.

Like the original Twitter message showed, these "beach body" messages have existed for a long ass time, very frequently in magazines made by women, for women. To single out this one advertising campaign only goes to show they're not serious about actual body shaming, rather they're just trying to be rabble-rousers on the internet. Protein World recognized that these people are not, and will never be their target market and rightfully told them to fuck off.

Are there seriously people that look at the original photoshopped woman in the ad and think she's "in shape"?

Simply not eating is not "living a healthy lifestyle". Anyone can be an emaciated skeleton with the proper malnutrition.

The CEO, in an interview, very specifically mentioned that she was not photoshopped.

T-Rex.

Banned
Those twitter posts are fantastic. It's like people are having a competition just to see who can get the most offended over insignificant crap like this.

Daemul

I mean, I personally wouldn't reply in the same manner the CEO and Marketing Manager did, but I don't blame them at all for ripping straight into detractors, some of them were making some utterly ridiculous points.

Barzul

Don't see anything wrong with the ad. It's good to have goals and targets to strive for. They aren't unreasonable because those goals are attainable if you put in the effort.

styl3s

I see nothing wrong with the ad but yikes at those twitter posts. Straight up vile.
Yeah the ad seems perfectly fine.

It's a weight loss ad targeted to a specific audience that the company sells products to. I don't see it as "fat shaming" but the person who is handling the twitter stuff comes off as a mega douche.

I do want to point out that, regardless of anything else, the ads and company aren't actually promoting health. They're pushing garbage weight loss products that, even if they somehow actually work and work safely, don't do much at all for health. While there are certainly exceptions in general the health issue isn't the obesity itself but rather the bad lifestyle that leads to being overweight. For many people simply losing the weight won't make them healthy even if society seems to try and convince people that's the case (This isn't to say it cannot improve health, but it's not really the proper solution in many cases). So I mostly roll my eyes over the company talking about being healthy since being healthy would either mean you wouldn't need their shit or their shit wouldn't help with what issues you still had. This is ignoring the fact that the stuff probably doesn't do much.

Arkeband

Banned
Like the original Twitter message showed, these "beach body" messages have existed for a long ass time, very frequently in magazines made by women, for women. To single out this one advertising campaign only goes to show they're not serious about actual body shaming, rather they're just trying to be rabble-rousers on the internet. Protein World recognized that these people are not, and will never be their target market and rightfully told them to fuck off.

The CEO, in an interview, very specifically mentioned that she was not photoshopped.

Oh, okay, well if HE said she wasn't, then she must not be. /s

Don't see anything wrong with the ad. It's good to have goals and targets to strive for. They aren't unreasonable because those goals are attainable if you put in the effort.

yeah, like buying snake oil diet pills, right? best effort

bathsalts

Morons BTFO, always good for a laugh. Refreshing to see a company that doesn't bow to the whims of the politically correct and their passive aggressive twitter campaigns.

SmokyDave

The woman on the billboard is in tremendous shape. A real aspirational figure there.

Nice to see a company telling cunts on Twitter that they're cunts. Glad it's working for them.

Afrodium

Banned
For everyone saying that the girl in the ad is a perfectly normal "fit" girl, here's an image of a non-photoshopped girl next to the one in the ad:

beach-body-ready.jpeg

U7VzSot.jpg

At first glance they may appear pretty similar, and they are, until you notice how the girl in the ad's sides are drastically smaller, her thighs about a foot apart, and that her arms are twigs. Does the woman in the ad have a similar shape to real women? Sure, but the problem is that it's changed just enough that it simultaneously shows a completely unrealistic figure while tricking viewers into thinking that real women look like that.

I'd also like to reiterate that I don't agree at all with the Twitter outrage but do think the ad has other problems.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
As someone currently recovering from obesity the ad is fine, being fat is not OK and we shouldn't act like it is. If this ad upsets you then you probably need to lose some weight. The second I stopped blaming others or my situation for my weight I started to drop it, it's not as hard as I forced myself into thinking it was, just eat enough food for one person and that's it. Since losing a lot of weight I can't look at fat people the same way, I can't help but think how much happier they'd be at a normal size, I know I am and I'm not even done yet. Yesterday an old friend said how skinny I looked, and that he wanted the tshirt I bought myself which last year wouldn't have been possible because all I bought were 5xl, black bedsheets, he has no idea how happy that made me. Looking back at my day one photos I can't believe how big I was, I'm ashamed that I lived like that for most of my life and wasted my youth by being alone and depressed because I had no self control.

ScOULaris

Aside from the "sympathizing with fatties" Twitter post, I have to admit that I kind of respect them not taking shit from these sensationalist reaction posters on Twitter. This type of marketing is neither new nor problematic, so I'm glad that they ended up profiting from this silly spark of notoriety.

SmokyDave

the problem is that it's changed just enough that it simultaneously shows a completely unrealistic figure while tricking viewers into thinking that real women look like that.
God I fucking hate that phrase. As if someone will forget the hundreds of thousands of women they've seen when they set eyes on the billboard.

moggio

Banned

The ASA was concerned with the range of health and weight loss claims made in the ad and had it pulled. So there was obviously something wrong with it.

The woman on the billboard is in tremendous shape. A real aspirational figure there.

Aspirational figures like hers is why anorexia is a huge problem for women (and increasingly men too).

Captcha

For the record, I think the twitter warriors get bent out of shape by this ad are ridiculous; however, what you posted is fake as fuck. It was posted to that VILE r/fatpeoplehate subreddit by a dude who just happens to be a "friend" of the person in question.. And they just happen to be a subscriber and avid poster to r/fatpeoplehate. How convenient and not at all staged!

That subreddit and its followers are garbage human beings.

Don't see anything wrong with their Twitter.

Oh. Wait. Yes I fucking do.
Don't see what's wrong with the feminist jab. It's very hard to take mainstream feminists seriously when I see them spending their time campaigning against a beach body advert rather than tackling real issues.

As for the second, it's kind of dickish but he has a point. They're trying to blame PW for someone's issues which they had before the advert even existed.

dogflaps

Banned
Are there seriously people that look at the original photoshopped woman in the ad and think she's "in shape"?

Simply not eating is not "living a healthy lifestyle". Anyone can be an emaciated skeleton with the proper malnutrition.

How in any conceivable way is the woman in the ad an 'emaciated skeleton'...? She's slim, toned and athletic. YOU'RE bodyshaming her by implying that she's unattractive for being slender.

I also don't see how this marketing is innovating in any way. This is just normal Summer advertisement.

God I fucking hate that phrase. As if someone will forget the hundreds of thousands of women they've seen when they set eyes on the billboard.

What people really mean when they say that, "I don't bother myself to look like that, so please think I'm fit too."

Condom

Aspirational figures like hers is why anorexia is a huge problem for women (and increasingly men too).
If it isn't weight then people will choose something else to obsess over, those with anorexia have a disorder. Only therapy can solve the core problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom