• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Body shaming backlash fails miserably, Protein World makes a million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeband

Banned
God I fucking hate that phrase. As if someone will forget the hundreds of thousands of women they've seen when they set eyes on the billboard.

You've seen photoshopped people in real life?!

Please tell me about the thousands of women you've seen at these sports clubs who have ribcages smaller than their heads and zero muscle definition.

bengraven

Amen brother,

It seems everybody wants to be offended at the drop of a hat these days

I swear that people are starting to feel empowered by the anonymity of the internet, to the point that they can start movements based on the most minor of offenses.

Example: let's start shaming people who don't tip.

Don't see what's wrong with the feminist jab. It's very hard to take mainstream feminists seriously when I see them spending their time campaigning against a beach body advert rather than tackling real issues.

As for the second, it's kind of dickish but he has a point. They're trying to blame PW for someone's issues which they had before the advert even existed.

Thats not feminism. This isnt about equal rights, its a societal issue that hurts some people and helps others.

entremet

Some of you have to hit up gyms or beaches more.

That woman's shape is not some unattainable outlier with a good diet and fitness program.

I see woman looking that or better--some with 4 packs--all the time.

Beefy

For the people that are saying they don't know why the ad was banned. Do you know why it was banned? It could have been banned for what was claimed in the ad rather then the bikini wearing lady.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
For everyone saying that the girl in the ad is a perfectly normal "fit" girl, here's an image of a non-photoshopped girl next to the one in the ad:

beach-body-ready.jpeg

U7VzSot.jpg

At first glance they may appear pretty similar, and they are, until you notice how the girl in the ad's sides are drastically smaller, her thighs about a foot apart, and that her arms are twigs. Does the woman in the ad have a similar shape to real women? Sure, but the problem is that it's changed just enough that it simultaneously shows a completely unrealistic figure while tricking viewers into thinking that real women look like that.

I'd also like to reiterate that I don't agree at all with the Twitter outrage but do think the ad has other problems.
Who say the girl in the poster is in perfect shape, it means she has some big ass thighs in comparison to the rest of the body, which seems more like an exercise or gentic trait. I have some big ass thighs, That seems pretty much impossible to lose in comparison to rest of my body, the physique doesn't seem that strange.

Some of you have to hit up gyms or beaches more.

That woman's shape is not some unattainable outlier with a good diet and fitness program.

I see woman looking that or better--some with 4 packs--all the time.

It's astonishing how some people are considering that body shape impossible. I mean if that's some impossible outliner we're all pretty fat.

At first glance they may appear pretty similar, and they are, until you notice how the girl in the ad's sides are drastically smaller, her thighs about a foot apart, and that her arms are twigs. Does the woman in the ad have a similar shape to real women? Sure, but the problem is that it's changed just enough that it simultaneously shows a completely unrealistic figure while tricking viewers into thinking that real women look like that.

I'd also like to reiterate that I don't agree at all with the Twitter outrage but do think the ad has other problems.
I'm pretty sure your issues are to do with her pose. Her legs are apart in the image and her shoulders are pushed back so that her arms are far back.

It'd be more helpful if you posted two pictures of the actual woman for comparison as opposed to her and then 'someone in shape'.

Thats not feminism. This isnt about equal rights, its a societal issue that hurts some people and helps others.
Sorry but what are you even talking about? I said that mainstream feminists make feminism look like a joke by doing things such as this which really annoys me. I'm not saying that feminism makes feminism look bad but people who identify as feminists draw attention away from legitimate issues.

MrChom

Both sides need to grow up.

Yes we have distortions in the media and they should probably be more realistic with things, but I don't see anything really wrong with the ad. There's a lot of overraction to it.

On the other hand the head of marketing and the CEO could probably do with a spoonful of professionalism, and a handful of calm the fuck down.

Most normal people will glance at that poster and move on, thinking it neither offensive nor cool.....and just move on with their day. Same if there's a male version in their underwear. We should probably all do the same.

Typhares

For everyone saying that the girl in the ad is a perfectly normal "fit" girl, here's an image of a non-photoshopped girl next to the one in the ad:

beach-body-ready.jpeg

U7VzSot.jpg

Photoshop of course but also I was seeing her with her chest pushed forward and butt back so not standing straight.

moggio

Banned
For the people that say they don't know why the ad was banned. Do you know whyit was banned? It could have been banned for what was claimed in the ad rather then the bikini wearing lady.

From The Mirror:

The ASA confirmed they have launched an investigation into the company behind the ad, following a meeting with them yesterday.

A spokesman said the ASA has "concerns about a range of health and weight loss claims made in the ad".

A statement from the ASA said: “We’ve met with Protein World to discuss its 'Are you beach body ready?' ad campaign.

"It’s coming down in the next three days and, due to our concerns about a range of health and weight loss claims made in the ad, it can’t appear again in its current form.

You've seen photoshopped people in real life?!

Please tell me about the thousands of women you've seen at these sports clubs who have ribcages smaller than their heads and zero muscle definition.

I could go to night clubs or the beach and see thin white girls most of the time. While the woman is photoshopped in the ad it's really weird of you to say this body type doesn't exist.

OctoMan

Banned
I also don't see how this marketing is innovating in any way. This is just normal Summer advertisement.

What people really mean when they say that, "I don't bother myself to look like that, so please think I'm fit too."
I meant the twitter stuff. There was an article on how basically they were trying to capitalize on what the marketing mag called "outrage culture". I'll try and find it again and post it.

Basically most companies is would try to apologize or be as sensitive as possible and they did the complete opposite.

I feel like it's fair to say that people overreacted to the ad initially, while also pointing out that the company have been unbearable dickheads, pandering to and retweeting the worst kind of MRA dickbags.

entremet

Also, since when did the UK take over America for having fat folks? I thought America had that in the bag. Is this a recent epidemic?

Both the UK and US are up there amongst fattest nations. Mexico is up there too.

I feel like it's fair to say that people overreacted to the ad initially, while also pointing out that the company have been unbearable dickheads, pandering to and retweeting the worst kind of MRA dickbags.

"Don't start none, they'll be none"

They didn't attack anyone. They're fighting back. Most companies are afraid to talk back due to corporate PR. They just don't care.

I think this thread has inspired me to lift. I want to go down to the beach and mingle with the girls on the covers of those magazines and make friends with the muscle bros. They won't accept me into their fold with my jelly belly and pencil arms.

Bogey

Banned
The ASA was concerned with the range of health and weight loss claims made in the ad and had it pulled. So there was obviously something wrong with it.

Wait, you mean that new android stock marke app isn't going to make me rich? I don't become immediately successful when buying designer wear, and ladies don't run straight up to my house in dozens when I'm using Axe deodorant? Do I at least lose weight when stuffing down that extra mayo salami-ham subway sandwich?
And what about those hundres of pounds I paid on homeopathy and magnetic bracelets? I trusted in their usefulness, just as I trust in my chewing gum that is recommended by 19 out of 20 dentists.

It'd be absolutely unimaginable to think that advertisements systematically overstate or even lie about the actual effects of any products. Surely that was the actual reason to take down that company's ads (who didn't even write down lots of particular statements about their products on their ads).

dogflaps

Banned
They are being vapid, condescending, and insulting.

They're being attacked and threatened with death for literally no reason. The term 'Beach Body' is not new. The use off attractive models in advertising is not new.

I know that they have taken an unorthodox approach to handling their critics, but that doesn't make it wrong. If someone was threatening to blow up my home I sure as shit wouldn't just grovel and apologise, I'd give as good as I got.

danwarb

It's a fairly unlikely body.

So is ET. We should be teaching people in schools how to see through this. About advertising and critical thinking, and the real systemic problems that make worse inequality, depression, eating disorders and so on.

We should be able to happily dismiss ads and attitudes like this as ridiculous, instead of giving them undue power.

pants

The antagonistic nature of their response to the controversy. Since forever, marketing basics has been to contain and defuse any controversy, so seeing them go all in (the entire company, not just a rogue rep on twitter) is pretty new.

I'm glad they did, and I hope more companies follow suit pretty tired of everyone always caving to the outrage beast.

This whole thing reminds me of Ocean Markketing though, Paul Christoforo really invented this m-marketting trick. (lol)

SoundLad

Props to Protein World, their strategy is ruthless and I love it for some reason!

Reminded me to start working out a bit more vigorously since summer is on the horizon

Fury451

Banned
It's a shame this wasn't screen capped with the others. What a jackass.

It will probably be ignored altogether. And it shouldn't be. Mocking someone's mental health is low.

People are too offended these days. Companies can be snarky, I don't mind, but these dudes have crossed full over into "look how hilarious we are with are sarcasm" mode, and that's when it becomes legit hurtful and disrespectful to others.

coleco

beach-body-ready.jpeg

U7VzSot.jpg

You seem to ignore the fact the posture in the pictures is completely different, causing a different shape. In the upper picture her feet must be quite distanced, causing a bigger gap between her thighs, and her waist is pulled backwards, making her rib sides stick inwards more. The lower picture seems to be the classic contrapposto. Different postures, different shapes.

It's all more ridiculous when you state 'at first glance they appear pretty similar', because they are. And her arms are just normal.

I'm glad they did, and I hope more companies follow suit pretty tired of everyone always caving to the outrage beast.

This whole thing reminds me of Ocean Markketing though, Paul Christoforo really invented this marketting trick.

Ehhh, Christoforo kinda went way too hard in the paint on that shit. And he also just made shit up

beach-body-ready.jpeg

U7VzSot.jpg

You do understand there is more than one healthy body type for women, right? Also, Neither of those images seem more unrealistically achievable than the other.

Dyno

Harriet just got straight up rekted. People are way too sensetive nowadays

I have to agree. Some people take their offense and turn it into a little hobby thanks to idle time and the Internet. A company should be able to run a provocative ad without having to answer to all the insecurities that everyone has.

MilkyJoe

Also, since when did the UK take over America for having fat folks? I thought America had that in the bag. Is this a recent epidemic?

I read about that so I did a test from the station, across the City of London to my work, and I counted 2 people that you would call proper fat... So god knows where they got that from...

Clearos

I divorced my wife after seeing this ad because it showed me what true beauty is...

Nah, I have my individual opinion on what i look for in a woman and did 10 minutes of research(I'm a slow reader) to know that diet pills are not going to get me my desired body.

Outrage= profits I need to create a twitter and get a #Justchangethechannel movement going.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
BMI is a load of shit tho.

Yeah, but I doubt the UK is a nation of powerlifters.

That said, I can't find any numbers to back up that claim. Highest obesity rate I found is somewhere around 28%

This ongoing culture of social justice warriors needs to stop. People are looking to get offended. It's these people that made a man who put a spacecraft on an asteroid cry.

These people can go suck a dick. GG protein company.

entremet

whaaaaaaaaaaa. that's not even the highest? wow, europe's gotta lay off the butter.

It's not the butter.

This is happening most rich nations. More fast and convenience foods, less cooking, and less exercise due to modern lifestyles--we aren't farmers doing heavy labor anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom