• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 reaches 2m sales in the UK

All data is courtesy of retail sales tracker GfK Chart-Track, and is based on their estimates for the total UK market.

“Reaching the milestone of two million PlayStation 4 consoles in the UK in less than 18 months is an achievement we are very proud of,” PlayStation’s UK boss Fergal Gara told MCV.

“To be the best selling 'next generation' console in Britain - installing faster even than the PlayStation 2 - is testament to an amazing and constantly improving product, the hard work of our trade partners and the team at PlayStation UK, and most importantly, the passion of the players. I would like to thank every one involved in helping us achieve this landmark."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-reaches-2m-sales-in-the-uk/0148966

DieH@rd

Banned
fcjnci.gif

Beating the PS2 is perhaps the most impressive news.

JpAhRib.jpg

Lots of milestones and sales news for the PS4 coming in recently (Portugal, Germany, China, now UK).
Is this a coincidence or planned action?
Congratulations nevertheless. This is impressive.

Nope. As of January 24th 2015 the combined userbase in the UK was 3.3m.

PS4 is over 2 million as of last week.

Not doubting, but link? I tried googling 3.3 million and 3 million UK console but couldn't find that former before I responded with my March statement.

gtj1092

Sold the 2nd million faster than the first. Surprising. Article also confirms Ps4 is the top selling console for 2015 so far. Hopefully the nebulous we're not sure which is selling the most argument in PAL threads can end for a few weeks.

Spookie

It was only last September they were lauding they hit 1 million (at EGX anyway). So they've managed another million in 6 months? That's a lot of consoles.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It was only last September they were lauding they hit 1 million (at EGX anyway). So they've managed another million in 6 months? That's a lot of consoles.

Those 6 monhts include Holidays. And the past Holidays had insane deals for both next gen consoles (yeah, PS4 too, not just One).

EDIT: Still, great result for Sony indeed.

EGM1966

So probably still 1.5 to 1 in UK? Looks like the odd spike and dip aside that ratio's holding true over time in UK.

Seraphiel

Banned
Good job for all concerned.

For all those on a low salt diet, this thread might become a place to avoid based o. How the others have gone the past week or so.

gtj1092

Those 6 monhts include Holidays. And the past Holidays had insane deals for both next gen consoles (yeah, PS4 too, not just One).

Pretty sure launch included the holidays. But thank you had no idea there were deals on consoles during this past holiday. Unprecedented.

Chobel

So probably still 1.5 to 1 in UK? Looks like the odd spike and dip aside that ratio's holding true over time in UK.

No, because the combined userbase of PS4 and XB1 was nearly 3.5 million at end of Feb.
It should be around 1.2 to 1.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do we have an idea about when Wii/PS3/360 reached two millions? If my math is correct, for example, 3DS reached it after more or less 33 months.

Majmun

Sony's success with the Ps4 has been really great so far. The Ps4 is just unstoppable.

An official pricedrop is going to slaughter competition even further.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
XB1 must be under 1.7m then?

The PS4 has outsold it over holiday period and in 2015 and last official ratio we got was when PS4 hit 1M? And XB1 was ~700k? So that would suggest that although the ratio has shrunk the numerical gap has not and has in fact increased no?

So is UK officially Sonyland too now?

Anyways, congrats SONY.

Think that is pushing it, MS are still strong in the UK. There can not be many markets (if any) in the world where MS are as close to Sony with sales.

But I can see Sony lead growing in the UK, especially if they have a price cut.

EGM1966

No, because the combined userbase of PS4 and XB1 was nearly 3.5 million at end of Feb.
It should be around 1.2 to 1.
Ah thought those figured came out end of March. So 2 million to PS4 and > 1.5 million for XB1.

Average weekly sales for PS4 must be approx 26.6k I guess if 2 million in 75 weeks. XB1 should be lower than that given lower overall sales.

So around 1.65 million (approx) for XB1 vs 2 million for PS4?

So 1.2 to 1.25 ratio. Not bad for XB1 and marry in general. PS4 still comfortable though with MS having to really work at keeping close.

Going to be an interesting Holiday in UK for deals I suspect. Rest of Europe will easily give PS4 a big lead in PAL territory of course.

Seems it's all about US and UK for MS right now with XB1 in terms of individual regions.

panda-zebra

Ratio is somewhere around 4:3 ps4:xbone.

1.7m for xbone seems like an overestimate if combined total was under 3.5m 10 weeks ago.

EDIT: 1.6m would be safer bet.

I'm amazed that the general idiocy of my people hasn't swung things in the XO's favour now they've slashed their prices so heavily (not a dig at the Xbox, more the fickle nature of the British public, and their preference for low prices over any other consideration).

Speaks volumes for just how badly MS fluffed the launch, and how much hype the PS4 has generated.

Top Bottom