• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne | Taste The Wine That Solidifies Miyazaki as a Genius

Status
Not open for further replies.
iB4hDpLfrjHpi.png

icYDQtYc769Iu.png

From Moonlight to Ludwig

From Software has been one of my favorite developers since I was a wee lad. I still remember to this day the first time I booted up Kings Field and marveled at how atmospheric it was. Nevermind that it was probably one of the most cumbersome games to play of all time (I mean you used what is now R1 and L1 on the playstation controller to look up and down) it was completely engrossing. In the beginning of Kings Field when I realized I could go anywhere I want and explore at my own will it felt like I had stumbled into a form of virtual reality. Almost every part of the island Melanat is open to you if you have the strength, and luck to traverse it.

iHUdvdWlqbmib.png

You Loved them or Hated them

The unfortunate thing was From Software was a very polarizing developer. I remember EGMs panel giving Kings Field 2 a combined score of like a 4 or 5 out of 10. Meanwhile PSXtreme gave it a 9. The reason being is the combat and movement were extremely clunky. You moved at a snails pace which was so the game had time to load the next area making it seem like a seamless world. Some gamers could forgive that though because FS were masters of atmosphere and subtle storytelling.

ibpeYzHTkeRr19.png

Miyazaki's Souls

With Miyazaki serving as game director Demon and Dark Souls were finally games where the mechanics were good enough that a lot more of the populace could appreciate what fans of FS have been praising for years. You had brilliant level design, great enemies and an oppressive atmosphere that gave way to moments of calm and beauty. The general mechanics are by no means perfect and still retain a bit of that clunk you have come to expect but they were a massive step forward for the developer.

ihhubV4tPU23S.png

Bloody Masterpiece

Enter Bloodborne.
Having just beat it and starting on my NG+ I can say it is a masterpiece of gaming. It takes all of From Softwares strengths and elevates them and most of their weaknesses and masters them.

There are of course some blights on it in the form of its online system. Co-op with specific people is still a nightmare and invading or being invaded doesn't happen nearly as often as it should.

Those things aside though the game is sublime.

The combat is so much better than anything FS has ever done. Each weapon brings with it a unique set of skills that are deep and hard to master. I regularly rotate through my Blades of Mercy, Ludwig, and Chikage depending on the situation. Each weapon vastly different than the one before but no less effective.

Then you have the Viscerals. Counter Attacks that enable you to fight foes far more powerful than you once you master its use. I found myself going into areas severely under leveled but being able to survive because I could effectively counter all the enemies. Its exhilarating but also requires real skill. Plus the impact sound that comes through your speakers when you successfully pull one off and your enemy drops to his knee will bring a smile to your face every time.

The Level Design will consistently amaze you. Discovering how the different environments all connect to each other and lead from one section to the next always surprised me. DS did that as well but its even more well thought out with BB.

The art and visuals are also spectacular. Each area is just dripping with atmosphere and foreboding with huge castles looming in the background or nightmarish spiders clinging overhead the art direction is the best of any game I have seen.

Just look at this:
http://i.minus.com/iD1wceDDb3is5.jpg
http://i.minus.com/i4bmbyuRAwLNr.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iY9MiieOj2vMB.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ijtUTV2Lf15FJ.jpg

The enemies are astounding as well with huge variety and unique attacks. This is also a testament to how good the combat is because you could never get comfortable with just one type of play-style. Some encounters required you be extremely agile while others were better served trying to stagger and stun. It made each fight tense and life threatening.

Along with the enemies are the bosses who are my favorite of any game so far. They are so well designed and I found myself marveling at the creativity of the artists every time I fought a new one.

The Music is the best of every FS game outside of Kings Field The Ancient City which I still think is my overall favorite. When the orchestra swells behind some fights you can just feel your adrenaline peaking and your palms start to sweat.

Still though nothing beats this for me :)

The Lore has been a massive surprise for me. Going through the game again and reading the story thread has been just utterly blowing my mind. There are so many little details and clues to pick up on that flesh the narrative out and add such an excellent backdrop to your actions. Like the previous games though its completely up to you whether you delve into the history of the characters you come across and the locations you visit but it is a very rewarding task. You gain some tragic insight behind some of the NPC's and come to loathe others you thought had your best intentions in mind. It's again masterfully woven into the game.

Then there are the small things I love so much.
  • The hats I can adorn my little messengers with and how I pretend when they rise to greet me at a lamp they are attempting to serenade me with their clanking jaws.
  • The undulating mass of smoke that is the fog gates. It has this beautiful swirl and movement to it. Anytime I go to fight a boss for the second time I can't help but stare at it a bit.
  • The cloth physics that add so much satisfaction to a well placed hit with your blade or a giant exploding at your feet blowing your cloak behind you in spectacular fashion.
  • Even The Doll Should It Please You - I actually had a moment about 15 hours into the game where after channeling my blood echoes I went to set my controller down and as I did so it hit the right bumper making my bloodthirsty character do a massive swing that came crashing down on the dolls head leaving her lifeless........

Yeah I started the game over.

In all this is the best game I have played in the series and certainly this gen which means its now in my Top 5 games of all time list. It's really is great to see a developer I have loved for so long finally get the recognition they deserve.

The last time I loved a game this much it had a very similar atmosphere and also had an amazing combination of music, gameplay and art.

ibyezRQtrNa5wp.png

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Shame about those chalice dungeons tho. But ofc that's the part he didn't work on apparently. Genius level design all around in the main campaign where he apparently worked on every map. Let's try to keep this thread spoiler free as I haven't yet completed the game. ._.

burgerdog

Shame about those chalice dungeons tho. But ofc that's the part he didn't work on apparently. Genius level design all around, let's try to keep this thread spoiler free as I haven't yet completed the game. ._.

They're worth going through, though. There's about 10 or more original bosses in there.

Liamc723

Even The Doll Should It Please You - I actually had a moment about 15 hours into the game where after channeling my blood echoes I went to set my controller down and as I did so it hit the right bumper making my bloodthirsty character do a massive swing that came crashing down on the dolls head leaving her lifeless........

Yeah I started the game over.

...She comes back to life once you return.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They're worth going through, though. There's about 10 or more original bosses in there.
Yea but it's a horrible repetitive grind to get to those bosses. I stopped at chalice Rom. Already killed him so I don't need to do it again.

Man

An instant classic and masterpiece. After finishing it up and coming to terms with the great lore and re-threading the interwoven world in your mind... it's incredible.

Personally I'm really hoping for an add-on (with a timely October release) to be announced at E3.

Heh, that's actually the Brand of Sacrifice from Berserk, not the Hunter's Mark. Don't know if that was intentional or not.

Great post though. Bloodborne is easily one of the best games I've played.

Mr Git

It truly is wonderful. That bit about putting the controller down and smooshing an NPC.. this is a fear I constantly live with. Not managed it in BB yet, but was recently very close.

ZangBa

It's a pretty good game with some good ideas, but it isn't even as good as its predecessors. Some of the weapons are just trash and there aren't that many to begin with, enemy variety is basically town folk+werethingguy, and gun parries aren't really that skillful at all, it's ridiculously easy. The replayability just isn't there and after going back from DS2 the framerate gave me a headache it was so bad.

I love the game for what it is but Jesus, it's not some perfect masterpiece we should be groveling over, especially with the nearly broken online and poorly thought out covenant system.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I have a friend that I met on XBL 13 years ago. For these 13 years, the only game he has ever beaten is Ninja Gaiden. He only ever plays competitive games, all the best single player stuff he has tried he never gets more than a few hours in. He currently has 60 hours in Bloodborne, it is his first souls game.

It's a pretty good game with some good ideas, but it isn't even as good as its predecessors.

Almost every game ever isn't as good as Bloodborne's predecessors.

Haunted

I thought this was about some actual Bloodborne-themed wine product releasing, like Suda51's toilet paper or S-E's various FF fashion, perfume and drink collabs.

Heh, that's actually the Brand of Sacrifice from Berserk, not the Hunter's Mark. Don't know if that was intentional or not.

Great post though. Bloodborne is easily one of the best games I've played.

I'm pretty sure Bloodborne is a Berserk game in everything but name.

Makes me happy to read that King's Field love. KF 1 (2 JP) was my first PS1 game and it was an incredible experience. I had never felt exploration as satisfying as I had there and it stuck with me through the years, and that feeling was revitalized upon release of the Souls games. I liked it so much that I even played through KF 2 (III) entirely in Japanese from beginning to end. Playing it along with another import gaming guy I met online we shared secrets and hints to each other much like the iconic messages in Souls games. It was an awesome portent of things to come.

Still haven't finished KF Ancient City yet, but coincidentally I was playing it just a few weeks ago. Atmospherically it still impresses. Some of the music is downright haunting.

Only played through BB once but I certainly agree with your sentiment. Just started another character a few days ago with plans on a Strengh/Arcane build so I can utilize those mysterious items I found through the game.

Danielsan

Amen. I'm still blown away by the astounding (consistant) quality of this game. Art direction, visuals, sound, music, level design, enemy design and some of the finest combat mechanics in gaming all come together to create a masterpiece. It's the best game From Software have ever made, and it's the greatest game I have the pleasure of playing since The Last of Us.

tcrunch

I still think that it's the most cute thing in the world that if you make gestures to the doll, she makes their own back at you <3

You know what's even cuter is the old doll in the Abandoned Workshop has twitching fingers.

Wait...

Fantastic thread, my friend. Bloodborne is an absolute masterpiece and has already cemented itself as one of my all time favorites. From the world building to the mechanics this is exactly what I want in a video game.

<3 Miyazaki

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This is like the second official threadening of Christ!

bobawesome

It's a pretty good game with some good ideas, but it isn't even as good as its predecessors. Some of the weapons are just trash and there aren't that many to begin with, enemy variety is basically town folk+werethingguy, and gun parries aren't really that skillful at all, it's ridiculously easy. The replayability just isn't there and after going back from DS2 the framerate gave me a headache it was so bad.

I love the game for what it is but Jesus, it's not some perfect masterpiece we should be groveling over, especially with the nearly broken online and poorly thought out covenant system.

Agreed. It's a fun but extremely flawed game. I feel like I can't say anything negative about it without ten posters jumping down my throat.

Elandyll

Banned
One of the greatest games I have played in a very long time, for sure.
To think that I almost passed it and bought TO:1886 instead on accounts of reports of it being "for hardcores only"...

As a side note, I would totally buy that (with the actual BB Hunter rune).

And drink it too (if it was a decent wine that is).

Opinions ... It sounds like "most" people do not share yours, which is ok. You'll only have to realize that.

When I clicked on this thread, I thought there was actually a Bloodborne wine :(

I thought this was about some actual Bloodborne-themed wine product releasing, like Suda51's toilet paper or S-E's various FF fashion, perfume and drink collabs.

I thought this at first too and was disappointed, but then I realized that it would be an overpriced shit wine anyway. The bottle would be a cool collector's item I guess.

How is online broken? I agree with the covenant system being half baked, but online is working better than ever since the patch. Better than Dark/Demon's Souls even. I constantly get summoned by people for bosses and have 0 problems coordinating summons with friends. It works nearly instantly.

Opinions... how do they work?

No one said you had to grovel over it but you sure as hell aren't going to stop me!

Nibel

Agreed. Demon's Souls already solidified Miyazaki as genius and Dark Souls was the breakthrough hit he needed for the public to recognize.

Loved Bloodborne and platinum'd it, but it has its fair share of flaws. I wonder how people will look at it in a few years.

SpokkX

Having played about 80% of the game I would agree

It is a true masterpiece

The only real complaint I have are technical issues such as the frame pacing stuttering that really annoys me. A patch would put this game in my top 3, framerate related problems is something I personally cannot handle

Beaulieu

I agree with everything here.
Also, OP, why did you start over ? You can't "kill" the doll man... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom