• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams with Universal for Theme Park attractions

SmithnCo

You know what will be weird to think about, when you can go straight from riding the King Kong ride to a Donkey Kong ride.

iceatcs

Hope it's for a whole park, but realistic that it will be something like Chessington's Beanoland or less version of Harry Potter.

Or worst, like Wii deal on Six Flags.

Bentendo

Realistic expectations: themed land in similar scope to one of the lands at islands of adventure. May replace either marvel super hero land or the cartoon one. Probably be one major ride based on Mario, one MINOR ride on Zelda, a restaurant, gift shop and a LOT of theming.

If you expect anymore than this you're wrong lol. This is still awesome though. Universal is great with theming. On par with Disney

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Realistic expectations: themed land in similar scope to one of the lands at islands of adventure. May replace either marvel super hero land or the cartoon one. Probably be one major ride based on Mario, one MINOR ride on Zelda, a restaurant, gift shop and a LOT of theming.

If you expect anymore than this you're wrong lol. This is still awesome though. Universal is great with theming. On par with Disney

Now we don't know that yet or do you know something we don't?

Besides checked expectations

Nintendo under Yamauchi would have never done this. This is Nintendo doing what they should have done in the NES days...leverage the power of their franchises beyond games*

*And not by making shitty TV shows and a shitty movie.
Ignoring the fact that they made shitty TV shows, shitty movies, and had Nintendo-specific zones in stores during the Yamauchi era?

SmithnCo

I assume Pokemon would be a lock too if they are allowed to use it.

Also possible Donkey Kong if they retheme Toon Lagoon, to replace Popeye or Dudley Do-Right.

Toxi

Banned
Presenting the Metroid section of Universal Studios Orlando!

empty-lot1.jpg

Explore the Zebes parking lot and pretend you're an intergalactic bounty hunter! Then go ride one of our many Mario and Pokemon attractions when you get bored.

I assume Pokemon would be a lock too if they are allowed to use it.

Also possible Donkey Kong if they retheme Toon Lagoon, to replace Popeye or Dudley Do-Right.

I was thinking exactly that too, some sort of DK Barrel Barges or similar replacement for Popeye would fit perfectly. As long as the ride remains intact I'm happy - One of my favorite water rides of all time!

It's very safe to assume the Marvel stuff will be replaced with Nintendo stuff, if this deal goes through.

The Hulk turns into the Bowser - don't even have to recolor the ride.

Drago

Holy shit!! Amazing news, this is a dream come true for me. It would be amazing if they have some stuff ready for when I visit in 2017 but that doesn't seem too likely, unfortunately.

They need to have a ridiculously fast F-Zero roller coaster, what a perfect ride that would be. And maybe a WarioWare Arcade with all of Nintendo's arcade games over the years or something. And a Kirby restaurant. And tons of theming. I'm getting all hyped up just imagining the possibilities...

KoopaTheCasual

ITS FINALLY FUCKING HAPPENING.

Sorry, but this is so long overdue, and was the most obvious course of action, if they want to maintain their appeal to the child demographic. Really happy about this news. Thank god.

mantis23

Sadly there is no way this ends up as roller coasters and thrill rides. My guess is that this will be the much needed revamp of the kid zone. They can ditch dated franchises like Woody Woodpecker, Barney the Dinosaur, and An American Tail for Mario and co.

This will result in a few kid rides and maybe if we are lucky they finally get rid of the E.T. ride and retheme it to be flying through the mushroom kingdom.

These rides are almost assuredly coming to Universal Studios in CA. I don't see anything in the press release suggesting otherwise.

SmithnCo

Yeah but its rumored Disney and Universal are talking and Universal could be giving the Marvel rights back.

Hm... I would be okay with that. Even though Uni's Spider-Man is a classic. Disney could actually make rides featuring the movie actors. I'll believe it when I see it though.

rpmurphy

Sadly there is no way this ends up as roller coasters and thrill rides. My guess is that this will be the much needed revamp of the kid zone. They can ditch dated franchises like Woody Woodpecker, Barney the Dinosaur, and An American Tail for Mario and co.

This will result in a few kid rides and maybe if we are lucky they finally get rid of the E.T. ride and retheme it to be flying through the mushroom kingdom.
But then where will people get to meet Tharja? :(

SmithnCo

Yeah, Kid Zone was my other thought, though I think it would fit much better at Islands and is a big enough brand to warrant that treatment.

AgeEighty

This deal is a huge win for both companies that enhances the profile of each. For Nintendo, it puts their characters into a prominent place alongside such franchises as Marvel, Harry Potter and the Simpsons. For Universal, it's yet more new rides and another major IP they can boast of in their serious and exciting bid to steal visitors from Disney, who under Bob Iger has seemed timid about spending money on their parks and has been mostly treading water.

It's also exciting because it's highly unlikely to be just a reskin or a new coat of paint over existing rides. Nintendo would not enter into a partnership like this unless their rides offered something unique.

SmithnCo

It's also exciting because it's highly unlikely to be just a reskin or a new coat of paint over existing rides. Nintendo would not enter into a partnership like this unless their rides offered something unique.

Yeah, I hope this was like HP and they pitched Nintendo a concept that they had to greenlight. Which would hopefully mean more unique attractions.

Honestly, there's no reason for Disney to fight and get back Marvel for WDW. They get money from their competitor, who then has to cover the expense to build and maintain the attractions, while Disney can sell all the Marvel merch they want in Florida while using Marvel IP in other parks all over the world.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Could you imagine a Nintendo Vs. Disney made by the UMVC3 team?

Arttemis

I just spent the last two days there! My girlfriend and I are annual pass holders, since we live less than two hours away. We went with her cousins, and their 11 year old son was just talking about how fun it would be if there was a Nintendo area with rides. I'm excited for the new King Kong vs Dinosaurs ride next year, but there is a lot more they can do to compete with Disney's control over their own IPs on top of Marvel/Star Wars.

I hope it happens, as Toontown is cute, but the water park area is all that needs to stay, and it's pretty unnecessary with Suessville being a cuter place to take families. The Marvel area is so outdated. Spiderman's ride pales in comparison to Transformers'. Besides the Hulk, the whole area is pretty forgettable.

It would be fantastic to see Marvel and Toontown turn into something more appealing. Nintendo is a great start!

Top Bottom