• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams with Universal for Theme Park attractions

Anjin M

If they do this in Florida, ugh. Between that and Harry Potter, they will finally break down my resolve never to enter that state.
Come on, Universal. Throw LA a bone!

Arkam

So its going to replace the marvel section?

If so lets reskin:

Hulk -> Mario Kart or FZero Coaster
Doom-> Donkey Kong themed drop/tower
Storm -> Pokemon 'go round'
Spiderman -> Legend of zelda cart/video ride

Then sprinkle in the appropriately themed shops and photo op bits. (warp pipes anyone?)

And keep the 'hero' parade but with Mario, Luigi, Peach, bowser, link and Zelda on karts instead of ATVs

Or they could actuallty create new set of attractions

I will not be satisfied unless I see a Donkey Kong mine cart ride. There would also be some sweet irony, given the legal troubles Nintendo once faced over the "Kong" name.

entremet

This is smart.

Nintendo has been losing the kids for many years. The need to increase their visibility beyond 20 plus year fans.

SmithnCo

So its going to replace the marvel section?

If so lets reskin:

Not confirmed for Marvel area, but:

Hulk... either Bowser or F-Zero, Spider-Man maybe a Pokemon themed ride where you chase Pikachu through a bunch of areas with different Pokemon. For Mario they should make a new ride, though I dunno where they would put it in that area. Dunno about Doom, I guess DK barrels might make sense.

thefro

Yeah but its rumored Disney and Universal are talking and Universal could be giving the Marvel rights back.

That was coming from a Disney-centric site. People in the know on the Universal side (who have had info about new rides, etc before official announcements or before they even start building) have said it's probably about upgrading Marvel Superhero Island to reflect the Marvel movies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why would Universal build this Nintendoland on the Marvel area when Marvel movies are the cultural cornerstone of this generation?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My only worry is that Nintendo will focus on Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon, as usual, instead of prepping some of their other franchises. I imagine the hypothetical F-Zero ride would sooner become Mario's Winged Cap Adventures.
Disney owns marvel now.
They probably pay a fuck ton to disney.
As explained before in this thread, Universal basically hold the Marvel rights as they were before the Disney buyout. They are looking to expand the Marvel section to more closely resemble the movies, not to get rid of them.
Just please: No more Potter. It's great, but that is too much space reserved for a single franchise.
The Harry Potter stuff is the best themed "experience" I have ever been at. Incredibly faithful to the movies.

SmithnCo

Why would Universal build this Nintendoland on the Marvel area when Marvel movies are the cultural cornerstone of this generation?

Disney gets a cut of the merch and I doubt they will ever want to expand the area given that. I dunno the exact financials though, maybe it's ultimately profitable.

They are also making a new KONG: Skull Island ride/micro-zone.
Also Marveil isn't going anywhere. Universal has a headlock on the rights in Orlando. Disney is forbidden to have ANY Marvel anything at WDW.

Season pass holder YO!

Looks like this will be replacing KidZone at USF, so adjust expectations accordingly.

But definitely more of a family focus on rides, opposed to kids, which is something Universal needs.

Looks like this will be replacing KidZone at USF, so adjust expectations accordingly.

But definitely more of a family focus on rides, opposed to kids, which is something Universal needs.
Replacing in the sense that they're going to be flattening the whole thing and starting again, sure.

Anyone with a brain in their head can see that Nintendo's attractions are going to be primarily family-focused, but that doesn't mean that they're going to be slapping Mario on some kids play park and calling it a day.

It's all over Orlando news and the Sentinel. I figure it's a lock here, and then spreads out to the other parks. Universal is spending serious bucks on expansion lately.

Right, at the most it will have one major attraction, one minor attraction, a gift shop or two, a counter service or two, or less. (I actually love the Simpsons section since the refurb, but I'm biased as hell).

The only way you'll see more than one attraction being built for Nintendo is if they convert an existing section of Islands (like Toon or Lost Continent) into a Nintendo themed island. And this is all based on whether they're even getting their own section, this could very well be a single attraction with an attached gift shop somewhere in the Studios.

I just want people to think realistically about this project. It will not be it's own park, and it will not be on a scale bigger than one of the Potter sections.

As you said it depends of what are doing with one the islands there, if toon lagoon (very possible) or lost continent goes down that is surely where Nintendo island will be build.
The thing here is that the have the right of nintendo franchises as a whole while things like harry potter and the simpsons are only one franchise. That means that if Universal decided to go all in to have a big land to compete for the audience magic kingdom brings, it would be something comparable to what they did with harry potter.
If not a mario (or super smash crossover) virtual e-ticket ride, maybe a flat ride and some shops and call it a day like they did with the simpsons (simpsons land is nothing but that really, some cheap and fast facades, a cheap flat ride and an e-ticket that was already build).

Still people in this thread are having too high expectations, and things that cant be accomplished in the real world, but this is normal in this type of theme park threads were people dont really understand how the theme park industry (and even physics) work.

Lets wait for the first concept arts and then we will be sure what they are going to do with Nintendo.
Of course we wont probably see anything until 2017 at least.

Imagine a Nintendo Hype Train Ride?

7V9w7.png

Donkey Kong = Minecart ride with Cranky giving you sass while waiting in line
Luigi's Mansion = Haunted Mansion-type ride
Mario Kart = Roller coaster tour through different locals
Metroid = 3D experience ride ala Spider-man
Star Fox = Moving mechanized theater experience like Star Wars at Disney
Zelda = 3D stunt show like Terminator

Circinus

Nice to see they weren't kidding about opening up to IP licensing opportunities between this and various reports about Nintendo IP in films/film adaptations (and Donkey Kong in Pixels).

I can definitely see Donkey Kong, Mario and co. and The Legend of Zelda making for some neat attraction themes if done properly.

Edit: some pretty good suggestions above. :)

HUELEN10

I wanna talk eateries.

We have Mona Pizza, Podley's Place, The Roost, Telma's Bar, Doc Louis' Candy Stand, what else?

Hale-XF11

This is either going to really, really suck or be really cool depending on how they approach it. If it's just a bunch of generic rides and attractions with a Nintendo skin slapped on everything, it's going to be depressing. Hopefully they're going to put some actual thought and effort into making some worthwhile and original attractions befitting of the characters.

mantis23

If this does go to the former kidzone area I wouldn't expect anything crazy. Universal isn't going to remove the only area they have in their flagship park for young children and replace it with roller coasters.

That's what we're on about. WDW is the parks.

Also, the entire Woody Woodpecker's Kid Zone is a virtual ghost town and RIPE for demolition.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Parks/Woody-KidZone.aspx?Intsrch=kidzone
I see Nintendo Land in Islands of Adventure in place of Toon Lagoon or Dr Seuss.

Yes Kidzone in Universal Studios is an option but that park has a very clear film motif with only properties concerning movies that come out in theaters. Even the Simpsons had a recent one and the rest is TV, not japanese videogames. I could be wrong but I don't see Nintendo fitting here.

Top Bottom