• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Previously Recorded: Shovel Knight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZV0fs4DScg

We've had threads on this series before (see here, and here), and while the review format isn't anything ground-breaking, they use this review in order to ask just how much of Shovel Knight's success is due to nostalgia as opposed to good game design.

I was really impressed with how Shovel Knight's design always teaches you by showing, repetition, and iteration.

Edit: Can anyone paraphrase some of the biggest points of the video? I'm curious and won't be able to watch for a while.

Reebot

Pre-Rec is getting better with time. They're getting their groove.

I liked showing Jack's kids playing, and how they tied it into nostalgia v general quality.

Makes me want to play shovel knight.

I really liked this and their Bloodborne video. Guess I'll subscribe!

Like Rich, it's hard for me to tell whether Shovel Knight was great because of design or nostalgia, but it's probably a bit of both. Man, now I really feel like replaying it. Maybe I'll grab it on PS4 and/or Vita...

Toxi

Banned
Somehow I completely missed the "Deer Lady" pun on my own playthrough.

I loved their experiment with the kids. "Boom" indeed.

Bob White

"Before your son beat the first stage of Shovel Knight, how did it feel to have no respect for your child?" lol

Also, it's interesting how Jack was saying how his kids didn't talk about Mario, but they talked more about SK because it actually had a challenge. Even kids are sick of your hand holding, Nintendo.

gblues

Banned
I was really impressed with how Shovel Knight's design always teaches you by showing, repetition, and iteration.

Edit: Can anyone paraphrase some of the biggest points of the video? I'm curious and won't be able to watch for a while.

The game is basically Duck Tales X Mega Man with a Mario 3 overworld map. While the nostalgia acts as "icing on the cake," the core game is very solid, and the kids who played it with no prior NES experience overwhelmingly loved it.

Also, it's interesting how Jack was saying how his kids didn't talk about Mario, but they talked more about SK because it actually had a challenge. Even kids are sick of your hand holding, Nintendo.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool. And it definitely makes sense. It reminds me of this comic:

W2WoO.jpg

To me, the game that makes you work for it is by far the more memorable. I have fun with casual games just like anyone else, but in the end they're forgettable for the most part.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Their laughter is really annoying.

And Shovel Knight have really top-notched design. There are numerous modern indie games that pay tribute to classic games too, but Shovel Knight outshine them with great gameplay.

I love that unlike many of their other videos where they reviewed and discussed the whole game, they just stayed talking about the nostalgia/is it good factor and then ended lol

Syril

That's kinda funny because I thought Shovel Knight was easier than the most recent Mario games.

Toxi

Banned
That's kinda funny because I thought Shovel Knight was easier than the most recent Mario games.
New Super Mario Bros 2 just gives you God Mode when you die too many times on a level.

I don't think it gets any easier than that.

The only way I could see this being true is if you're comparing Shovel Knight to like the Crown-Crown stage in 3D World. Or you're playing the Mario games blindfolded. I mean Shovel Knight isn't that hard, but Mario games are about as casual as it gets.

Eidan

And Shovel Knight have really top-notched design. There are numerous modern indie games that pay tribute to classic games too, but Shovel Knight outshine them with great gameplay.
With a starting sentence like that, I have a hard time imagining you as anything but a curmudgeon.

Jack's son looks just like him.

You're talking about the mothafuckin' Rich Evans!

These guys (in this video at least) say nothing insightful or interesting. It also shows they have no understanding of kids. Of course kids love the game, just as we loved Mario. Kids aren't as picky as your average GAFer...put something FUN in front of them, and they will enjoy it.

This was 14 minutes of the highest level, most mundane conversation you could possibly have about the game...I want my time back.

Oh really? Do kids these days also appreciate black and white films?
But then again, Minecraft is super popular among kids so hmmm.

These guys are usually so laidback it's hard to be mad at 'em for anything, but if you can't tell if something's actually good and spot any reasons why... what are you even?

Kids react to Shovel Knight is the interesting part of it.

These guys are usually so laidback it's hard to be mad at 'em for anything, but if you can't tell if something's actually good and spot any reasons why... what are you even?

I think they do make up a good point that sometimes it is hard to tell if something is good because it is actually good, or if it is just nostalgia clouding a person's judgement. Jack getting a fresh perspective from his kid(s?) is interesting aspect of this review, and they really liked it for what it was. It's funny because his kid(s?) don't see the "retro" like they do. They just see a fun and colourful game with some appealing character designs.

It is a nice "out side of the box" styled gaming review.

The stubble somehow makes Rich seem less creepy!

How could you look at this face and call it creepy?

LewieP

Pretty shallow analysis imo.

Shovel Knight obviously leans heavily on nostalgia, but it also has a bunch of more modern influences. Surprised they didn't even make the Souls connection.

Red Letter Media's movie stuff is so much better than their games stuff.

I did like that they focus tested it with young kids though. That was an interesting idea. Would have benefited from hearing from those kids directly.

Red Letter Media's move stuff is so much better than their games stuff.

I like Pre Rec, but I definitely agree with this.

I'll watch this when I get back to the office. However, reading through these comments I would say the reason SK is successful is because of good game design, not just nostalgia.

LewieP

I like Pre Rec, but I definitely agree with this.

I'll watch this when I get back to the office. However, reading through these comments I would say the reason SK is successful is because of good game design, not just nostalgia.

Pre rec is hit and miss, probably more misses than hits, but the only time Half in the Bag has ever been totally off the mark was Boyhood.

correojon

That´s what impressed me most too, I remember one stage with lava and a bouncy green substance that can put it off. The way the game teaches you the many interactions between lava, the green substance, the enemies and Shovel Knight himself is amazing. Many different mechanics flourish from simple concepts and everything is taught to you without a single line or text or tutorial, just by intelligent enemy placement and level design. The ability of this game to make you chain together various "aha!" moments is truly amazing.

Top Bottom